Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why isn't the K-3 regarded as a 'professional DSLR'?

Why isn't the K-3 regarded as 'professional'?

Is it mainly because it isn't full frame? Does the lack of tethering count too?

I'm just curious because it would appear to tick every other box...?

02-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aside from your two points it lacks 1/250 or higher flash sync. For now.
02-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
it also dependson your definition of "professional"
02-06-2014, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I use a K-5 for my professional work (weddings, product photography, sports, etc) and my definition is I get paid.

But, in most of the reviews the K-3 is called 'high end enthusiast', 'semi-professional' or something similar. I'd like to know what the reviewers definition of 'professional' is and why the K-3 isn't seen as a pro camera.

Personally, I like the extra reach that the x1.5 crop factor gives my lenses and I'm not in the market for a full frame.

02-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Because it doesn't say Nikon on the front.

But yeah, the sync speed is important to some people. The sensor size is important to some people. Tethering is important to some people. General support is a big one - lens rentals, events, stuff like that. If someone wants excuses to say that Pentax is doomed, they will find them!

But basically something being called "pro" has little to do with its actual qualities, but just how people perceive it.
The K-01 delivers quite a bit and is even used by people professionally, for paid gigs and prints. But I doubt it will ever be considered "pro" by the photographer community or by people in general.
02-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax doesn't really have professional service and support. Apparently there's a service you can buy into. Turnaround time to fix or repair most Pentax gear is measured in weeks and months.
02-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you're a professional photographer. That is, someone who does it full time... There is no reason to stray from Canikon. Architectural photogs generally shoot with Hassys, etc.

02-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
It's not professional cause of all the features it lacks compared to the multi thousand dollar Canikons. But what we all know (or at least those who really understand the "art") is that spending a million dollars doesn't make you a pro. Utilizing good photographic technic will be what really sets one apart as "professional." And certainly, the k-3 has everything you need to help you do that! So use that K-3 and leverage your ability/technic to prove to all what a pro really is. Then maybe the myth of "money makes pro" will fade.
02-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Generally the word "professional" means you've been paid for your work. I would brake that into semi-pro and full-pro being "part time" and "full time" pro photographers. so I just call cameras like the K3, K5, D800, 7D, 5D, etc. as advanced cameras...

The K3 lacks in a couple of places to make it a true professional grade camera, mostly the lack of tethering and the lower flash sync speed. I would love love love a higher flash sync. However, the fps, buffer, image quality, AA filter innovation, the shutter range, shutter durability, low light abilities, focus tracking, dual card slots, build quality, weather sealing, ergonomics, all make it a camera that could be used by pros and create very good results.

Where Pentax falls in terms of a professional system is the support from the manufacture for professional services. While the network for Pentax professionals is no where close to that of Nikon or Canon, and repairs do take a bit longer (or so they say)... I think that is where it remains a "enthusiast product".

On that note, the Olympus OMD EM5 has been adopted by many a professional. And I know why, it's a brilliant little camera that will go toe to toe with the K3 and other cameras in terms of abilities.
02-06-2014, 09:23 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kellyboy Quote
I'd like to know what the reviewers definition of 'professional' is ..............
Any camera with the features and IQ of a Pentax, but made by Nikon or Canon.
02-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Well said...
02-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #12

Most of Nikon's Pro cameras have a few design choices that appeal to pros. It's not just what you include, it's also what you take away.

Off the top of my head;

Built-in battery grip
No AF-assist.
No built-in flash.
Fast flash sync.
No green mode.
CF cards.
WIFI in newer models.
Tethering.
Multi-channel,multi group wireless flash system.
Very sophisticated AWB.
Usually their second-to-newest AF engine.
Fast and big image buffers.
Fast maximum shutter speeds.
A comprehensive support service.

These choices bespeak a style geared to people who want their camera to work and have a lot of image performance instead of a lot of bells and whistles. Of course, comparing the K-3 to say the D2X, the Pentax obviously wins in all the numerical attributes (except for the flash sync), but to be professional, I think at least some of the other things should be addressed.
02-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
at double the price! Arguably the reds of Canon are not as good as those rendered by Pentax and the blues of Nikon are not as well rendered as Pentax's.
02-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Pentax in order to have professional cameras would just really need to have professional support available. What happens if you have the SDM go out on you 50-135 or 16-50 right before a big shoot? Most Pentaxians would just use primes in that situation or a back up lens, but I don't think Pentax is known for their quick turn around on repairs or getting loner gear to folks that need it.

To the above point, there is no such thing as a professional camera -- just professionals who use given cameras and professional service supplied by the company that sells the camera.
02-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
Pentax doesn't really have professional service and support.
That's the main reason. I was reading an article about a Canon pro going to Sotchi, and Canon reps are on the spot, repair crews also, they have loaners, renal items, etc. I guess as long as you don't do that, you're not considered "pro".

Of course, this relates in no way to the quality of the images.