Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Interesting, I generally hold the underside of the lens barrel with my left hand, not seen anyone grip the body on that side before.
I hold it that way, too. In landscape, I'll use the bump against the base of my thumb on my palm. In portrait mode, it gives my fingers something to grab or provides a rest for my palm, depending on the lens. Without the battery base, I rotate clockwise for portraits, which is apparently the opposite of everyone else in the world.

02-25-2014, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ISO 50 or 64 would get some use from me.
The Mode dial could be made more solid instead of flimsy, hollow plastic. Its the weakest part of the camera. Optionally, make it removable. I set it to M and forget it anyway.
A software utility to make custom configurations on the computer and upload them to the camera could provide far more customizable functionality than the current in-camera configuration method.
Touch-screen could work very well with the current info-screen configuration and even allow for more options.
Some sort of dual-resolution sensor would be nice. The ability to shoot in RAW mode with 12 or 16 MegaPixels would turn the K-3 into a machine gun in continuous shooting mode.
I would gladly sacrifice video mode for faster still-image processing and more room for a larger-capacity battery.
Pentax flash parameters could stand a 21st Century update across the board, not just for the K-3.
That being said, I haven't touched my Canon 70D or Nikon D7000 since I got my K-3.
I still use my K-50 more than any other camera I have ever owned.

35mm sensor? What for? APS-C is a legitimate format. So is 135. So is 120. So is 110 for that matter. The whole "Full vs Crop" sentimentality has always seemed derogatorily misinformed.
02-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #18
Forum Member

Not much to complain about my K-3, but a few of these niceties would be good

- A Built-in GPS and wifi
- A Flucard that can actually be purchased? ;-)
- Wireless flash use without having to use pop-up flash (suggestion for firmware ugrade?)
- A Nikon lens adaptor? (Joking again...)
- Astrotracer working in M/Av/Sv mode?
- A Ricoh logo in smaller characters and at a less visible location?
- A 24M pixels 35mm sensor with an adaptor for all my APS-C lenses? (I couldn't refrain myself from writing this one...)
- A RAW file resolution downsizing (pixel averaging) without JPG compression. That would improve the noise handling without compromising on image quality whilst keeping (potential improving) the dynamic range

Last edited by Cyril_K5; 02-25-2014 at 04:16 PM.
02-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #19
Banned

I would put in the 16mp sensor from the K-5, I still think that is better.

02-25-2014, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 on ability to mount Nikon F or Olympus legacy glass without adapter.

- also like Nikon's ability to allow you to personalize a "my menu" tab

Michael
02-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #21

-More AF points or the current more spread over the frame
-ISO 50/80-1600 without any quality loss (noise, color and details)
- Better tracking
- Build in GPS
- Faster flash sync
02-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addition to the many good suggestions above... if Pentax made their own sensors I would ask for 16bit+ color depth and native ISO 25 or below. Maybe just give us a foveon sensor as an option

But realistically some software innovations like cellphones have (eg panorama mode) would be welcome. And an open-source model that allows for even greater innovations and support into the future.

02-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Hi all,

Just wondering what you all would like to see in Pentax's next APS-C DSLR.. possibly named the K-1 if not taken by FF.
It's a pretty darn good camera out of the box. They could still improve the processing/file writing speed, as it does take it a while to write RAWs to the card. If they could avoid having the camera lock up while it's writing, that would be perfect.

Built-in Wi-fi would probably be the way to go in the next model rather than this Flucard with a 6-month delay.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #24

QuoteQuote:
A software utility to make custom configurations on the computer and upload them to the camera could provide far more customizable functionality than the current in-camera configuration method.
QuoteQuote:
Some sort of dual-resolution sensor would be nice. The ability to shoot in RAW mode with 12 or 16 MegaPixels would turn the K-3 into a machine gun in continuous shooting mode.
this would be nice

QuoteQuote:
I would gladly sacrifice video mode for faster still-image processing and more room for a larger-capacity battery.
ya, i am not a video guy either, but I don't blame them to pursue video feature to boost sales

QuoteQuote:
Pentax flash parameters could stand a 21st Century update across the board, not just for the K-3.
I hope the recycle time of both flashgun (360II and 540II) after full output can be further reduced

QuoteQuote:
It's a pretty darn good camera out of the box. They could still improve the processing/file writing speed, as it does take it a while to write RAWs to the card. If they could avoid having the camera lock up while it's writing, that would be perfect.
I second this, I hope next model can have UHS-II support(both slots if possible)
I think the capacity of buffer size is good enough, but the buffer clearing time is still too long for me

and better AF-C tracking algorithm?!
02-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #25
Pentaxian

While I'm not a videographer, I could make use of some more video functionality:

1. Many more resolution/frame-rate options e.g. high frame-rates at lower res. e.g. 60/120/240fps or 50/100/200fps.
2. Hardware SR in video
3. Raw though the HDMI when recording.

Dan.

---------- Post added 26-02-14 at 13:46 ----------

Also, why could not the focus point, used in a shot, be shown on the back LCD when reviewing? This info is stored in the JPEG & raw headers and it would be trivial for Ricoh to decode it and overlay it on the LCD display image (as well as overlaying all the 27 AF point positions).

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 02-27-2014 at 09:20 PM.
02-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

actually, I don't understand why camera makers universally limit the filename to 8 characters -- I would like to be able to define a "pattern" filename with various functions available to roll your own unique filename system.

Michael
02-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atomx Quote
Agree with the flash sync speed.. At least bring it inline with the Canikon at 1/250th/sec
Agree on flash sync speed (and many more improvements with the flash system, though I still have to see how good the new AF360FGZ II is), but many C/N units now run on 1/200s (entry levels)

as for improvements for the K-3.... I dunno it's a really good cam already.

maybe just change the name of the Flucard for Pentax (since it's sorta proprietary? or at least buy the whole thing, Ricoh please? ) "the flu" doesn't really sound good...
02-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For me, a little better sensor -- better dynamic range at base iso/lower base iso, better high iso performance.

With regard to camera performance otherwise, I don't think I could ask for better. The biggest thing at this point is that I really feel that Pentax has to work on is lens motors -- particularly the DA * lenses. Having a body that can actually track shows up the flaws in SDM. It isn't as though the DA *16-50/50-135/55 lenses are tiny lenses and increasing their size slightly and having speedier motors would be more than worthwhile.
02-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Touch tilt screen, built in wifi.
02-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I would put in the 16mp sensor from the K-5, I still think that is better.
Well at 24mp the 24mp sensor is a clear winner as the 16mp sensor is short some 8mp
and at 16mp it can be clearly demonstrated that the 24mp sensor has the 16mp sensor equalled or beat in all specifications inc niose.

So its hard to understand your definition of 'better' .?

Unless you add price into the mix then the 16mp sensor is clearly 'better' but only becasue it in older bodies and hence cheaper, Put it in the k3 and you lose that tenuous advantage.

Last edited by awaldram; 02-26-2014 at 08:42 AM.