Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New K3 Owner,things to check

Hello friends
I am excited after ordering the K3 the way I wanted and the price I wanted it for Bought from BHPhotovideo the K3+18-135 (free BG5 grip+32GB card+50mm lens+4% Rewards) for a royal sum of $ 1646
Questions
-What features should I test that can cause issues down the line?
-How about weather sealing? What tests would you recommend? Afghanistan-style tests by forum member Heie come to mind

I reckon the DA 18-135 has been around for almost 3 years now. Any failure reports yet due to the DC motor?
Yet to receive my K3 but why not start the thought process ahead of time.

02-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Weather sealing is just one of those things you have to take on faith. That's because, if you test it and it lets water in, you have voided the warranty.

No matter. Pentax weather sealing has very few failures, at least by web reports. I have run tap water (gently) over my K-7 and K-5s to clean them and haven't managed to kill any of them yet.
02-25-2014, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 18-135 is not prone to AF motor failure. It is my preferred travel lens due to convenience and weathersealing. If you shoot jpg you may want to turn lens correction on, since this lens does have some visible distortion.

Regarding the K-3 I wouldn't test anything in particular. Just start using it
02-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
What tests would you recommend?
Use the darn thing as it's intended to be - if it breaks down in normal use which is due to manufacturers fault, well - that's what warranty is for.
I'm sure warranty does not cover someone *running fitness tests* for possible areas of failure and then it fails because of it...

02-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm waiting for MY B&H Special, too (less the zoom)! Makes you feel a bit antsy, doesn't it?

Check out the NOT-so-gentle "fawcet test" of the K-3 at ThePhoblographer.com/YouTube...
02-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The first thing you should do is go into the menus and customize NR... the default setting affects jpegs at all ISO settings, making them blurrier than they should be. I've turned it off for all ISO's below 3200.
02-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Weather sealing is just one of those things you have to take on faith. That's because, if you test it and it lets water in, you have voided the warranty.

No matter. Pentax weather sealing has very few failures, at least by web reports. I have run tap water (gently) over my K-7 and K-5s to clean them and haven't managed to kill any of them yet.
Didnt know Pentax voids the warranty if water enters inside the camera. spooked!! So if in future I am caught in a drizzle that turns into a downpour and God forbid water droplets somehow enter, Pentax voids my warranty??? Wow that is extremely disappointing if true...

---------- Post added 02-26-14 at 01:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The 18-135 is not prone to AF motor failure. It is my preferred travel lens due to convenience and weathersealing. If you shoot jpg you may want to turn lens correction on, since this lens does have some visible distortion.

Regarding the K-3 I wouldn't test anything in particular. Just start using it
Does the K3 slow down significantly when lens correction is turned ON? How about when shooting RAW+Lens correction ON?

02-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All lens corrections enabled on the K-3 adds less than a second to the processing time of a raw file. I would still not enable lens corrections if you were burst shooting, whether jpeg or raw.

Jack