Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K3 Shake Reduction Issue?

After shooting several thousand frames with my K3 (replaced a K5), I'm finding I'm frequently unhappy with edge/corner sharpness when shooting hand held with Anti-shake on. In the past I've attributed part of the problem to my senior age and simply not being quite as steady hand holding a camera as well as the fact the 24 meg sensor of the K3 is simply more revealing. Part of the problem is my lens selection for the K3, a 16-45 F4 and a 55-300. They are not particularly great in the corners/edges when compared with my 645 primes used on the K3 with a 645/K adapter or a Samyang 14mm 2.8. All that said, I discovered edge sharpness improved somewhat with anti-shake off.

After discovering anti-shake off actually improved things a bit, I shot the same scenes handheld with my 645D and had no issues with sharpness. I found at similar shutter speeds of 1/60 or beyond, I'm able to capture images that exhibit none of the blurring on the edges/corners that I see with the K3, anti-shake on. I'm wondering if the 'nervousness' I'm seeing with the K3 images, with Anti-shake on, could possibly be related to a electro-mechanical issue with the sensor and the anti-shake mechanism. It's almost as if the sensor is constantly rocking or 'hunting' on it's axis in some manner. Center sharpness seems to remain generally good on most images but I often see blurring/ghost images of small details (tree limbs against sky) against the sky.

02-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You did not say what lens(es) you are using, so I will make an answer as if you are using an "A" or prior lens: have you set the SR focal length too long? The SR will overcompensate when a focal length significantly greater than the actual focal length is set in camera.
02-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
On my K-50 I found that turning Horizon Correction off made images a lot sharper when shooting handheld, so now I leave SR turned on all the time. Now it only turns off when I use 2-second delay on a tripod.
02-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have horizon correction on my K10D, so I never thought of that. Good point!

02-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
CDW
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The lenses that are giving me the most problem are the 16-45 and 55-300 Pentax AF types. The Samyang and my 645 (via adapter) are all manual focus and I do enter the focal length when I use them. I'm using firmware 1.01. Perhaps I'll update and see if there is an improvement.
02-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
It seems that you may need to adjust AF for those lenses. A search for "af fine adjustment" on this site will bring a lot of information. Also:

Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
02-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
On my K-50 I found that turning Horizon Correction off made images a lot sharper when shooting handheld, so now I leave SR turned on all the time. Now it only turns off when I use 2-second delay on a tripod.
Definitely turn off any features like this that also move the sensor.

Ordinarily you should be able to get down to about 1/20s with SR on, or as low as 1/13s (possibly slower) in a pinch. The actual focal length of the lens doesn't seem to be a major factor in how slow a shutter speed you can use, as long as you've set the FL correctly on the camera.

02-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hmm, I've been disappointed with the SR, but I'll try without any other correction. I have the fx/raw button set to turn it on and off.