Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These issues are precisely why I always WAIT for a year or two after a new model of anything mechanical (or electronic) comes on the market before I purchase one.

Unfortunately (and all too often in the past) I've ended up being horribly frustrated with "new" computer software that's still full of bugs, "new" automobile platform-changed models with seemingly endless "safety" recalls, and "new" models of amateur radio equipment that have often spent more time back on the manufacturer's warranty repair bench (usually shipped back at my expense!) than on the air in my radio "shack"

After about the third time this happened to me (with a brand new model of a piece of amateur radio equipment that periodically locked up in transmit mode for no apparent reason) I vowed to never again play "uncompensated beta tester" for some company's newest offering.

So now (and while its often very hard to resist the temptation) I've trained myself to NOT add my name to waiting lists for brand new equipment before it even hits the market. I also refrain from purchasing such items from the first (or second, or even the third) wave of deliveries of the "latest and greatest" model to hit store shelves.

Rather, I've now learned to simply make do with what may be "old" by today's technology standards (including my older Pentax cameras) but yet still satisfies the vast majority of my curent needs....at least until the manufacturers finally work the bugs out of their very latest "new and improved" brainchild.

I also find I sleep MUCH better at night as a result.

Last edited by KB1SFVE3; 03-17-2014 at 09:30 PM.
03-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KB1SFVE3 Quote
These issues are precisely why I always WAIT for a year or two after a new model of anything mechanical (or electronic) comes on the market before I purchase one.

Unfortunately (and all too often in the past) I've ended up being horribly frustrated with "new" computer software that's still full of bugs, "new" automobile platform-changed models with seemingly endless "safety" recalls, and "new" models of amateur radio equipment that have often spent more time back on the manufacturer's warranty repair bench (usually shipped back at my expense!) than on the air in my radio "shack"

After about the third time this happened to me (with a brand new model of a piece of amateur radio equipment that periodically locked up in transmit mode for no apparent reason) I vowed to never again play "uncompensated beta tester" for some company's newest offering.

So now (and while its often very hard to resist the temptation) I've trained myself to NOT add my name to waiting lists for brand new equipment before it even hits the market. I also refrain from purchasing such items from the first (or second, or even the third) wave of deliveries of the "latest and greatest" model to hit store shelves.

Rather, I've now learned to simply make do with what may be "old" by today's technology standards (including my older Pentax cameras) but yet still satisfies the vast majority of my curent needs....at least until the manufacturers finally work the bugs out of their very latest "new and improved" brainchild.

I also find I sleep MUCH better at night as a result.
----------------------------------------------------------------

This is accurate and true. I had waited through the K7 and K5 for the K-3, to find that Ricoh released a buggy product. These are not small bugs IMO. They really are going to lose points if these defects begin to surface in much larger numbers on the K-3.

Had I seen this more pronounced (e.g., IDENTIFIED) on PF, I would have been warned to wait buying the K-3 until Ricoh finally got it right. I've never heard of a camera recall, but if the K-3 were a car, it would be recalled, or at least the ones having these problems. Ricoh's failure to reach out to K-3 owners is not impressive at all.

Rite ..

Rite ..
04-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #33
WayBuu

Shutter Flap K-3

This has occurred to me on two occasions with AA alkaline batteries in the BG-5 grip. The dedicated D-LI90 was in the camera and well charged on occasion 2, but I'm not sure about the first. On the first instance the battery indicator was low. On the second, not so, but I was using a cheap off-brand alkaline and a lot of flash exposures. Maybe they drained quickly, not sure but I'm seeing too many symptoms in the forum to draw a conclusion. None the less, I'm seeing it when the BG-5 goes low on battery power. I've resolved it by pulling the main battery D-LI90, as cycling the main power switch to off did not solve it. On the latest instance the camera refused to let me take photos once functionality was restored; both memory cards showed full and would not accept images (even though one was empty). I had to remove them from the camera, transfer the images from the active card to my computer and format both cards before I was able to get back to business (which was a grad shoot for a client on a tight time line!!!).

Serial number and purchase date: S/N: 4952016 Purchased: 8/20/2014

I was using the camera with the initial shipped firmware ( 1.0 ) but since the last instance I've updated to the latest version.

Time will tell. I shall report back...
04-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WayBuu Quote
Serial number and purchase date: S/N: 4952016 Purchased: 8/20/2014
The firmware update does not cure the issue. While it will prevent a total runaway, there is potential for empty files (missed shot). If you are having symptoms and are still under warranty, I would suggest having Ricoh/Pentax apply the service center fix.

Steve

04-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #35
Veteran Member

OK.....I never wanted to be here.....yet here I am. Im in the process of selling my 2nd mint K3 for the K3II upgrade and its hard to keep from cursing right now.
I just installed the battery grip for the very first time on this camera and guess what ? Yuuuup....you got it. Runaway shutter and I quickly pulled the battery and grip. My BP is through the roof right now.
Both batteries haven't been charged recently and Im quite sure neither was full as they are on chargers right now.
I popped in another two (not freshly charged) batteries and it did it again right off the bat ? So right now Im charging everything and letting my BP recover for a while. This is the first day I used the grip on this camera. No issues on the other K3 before when using it at all. I do not have the most recent software as it supposedly had a bug so stuck with whatever the 2nd version is.
Im not too worried about it but very frustrated to have this happen while Im upgrading to the K3II......Very Disappointed to say the least right now.
04-29-2015, 12:26 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I don't know if my issue last night is a shutter flutter or crazy mirror flapping, but here's how it happened.

No battery grip.
Original Pentax battery, at about 1/3 level.
DA*55.
32GB Sandisk UHS at both slots.
M mode.
DEFINITELY set at Single Shot (I have never done burst shooting with K3)
AF-Button focusing.
RAW format, maximum resolution.
FW 1.11

My usual habit is to press the shutter, and release it about a second only after the usual mirror flop. To my surprise last night, the K3 took the first shot, and continued firing away for at least two more recorded shots, or until I release the shutter, then it stops. Tried it again, and again. Each time making sure that I'm set on Single Shot. By then I was worried. I switched it off and on a couple of times and still the same behaviour. All shots were inevitably triplicated or quadruplicated.

I did a menu reset, and everything went back to normal. Is this because of the battery or is this a symptom of mirror flop bug?
04-29-2015, 04:41 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I don't know if my issue last night is a shutter flutter or crazy mirror flapping, but here's how it happened.

No battery grip.
Original Pentax battery, at about 1/3 level.
DA*55.
32GB Sandisk UHS at both slots.
M mode.
DEFINITELY set at Single Shot (I have never done burst shooting with K3)
AF-Button focusing.
RAW format, maximum resolution.
FW 1.11

My usual habit is to press the shutter, and release it about a second only after the usual mirror flop. To my surprise last night, the K3 took the first shot, and continued firing away for at least two more recorded shots, or until I release the shutter, then it stops. Tried it again, and again. Each time making sure that I'm set on Single Shot. By then I was worried. I switched it off and on a couple of times and still the same behaviour. All shots were inevitably triplicated or quadruplicated.

I did a menu reset, and everything went back to normal. Is this because of the battery or is this a symptom of mirror flop bug?
Are you sure bracketing was off ?

04-29-2015, 06:40 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know the feeling. I waited almost nine years (since first K10D) for the K3, and it was a major letdown when I took it out of the box it instantly had the 'shutter flutter' attack.

I still use the K10D, and a few other Pentax frames, but I caught your reference to the K3II.

Pentax has the whole wagon riding on the K3!!

They'd better get it right this time around.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/293731-pentax-k-3-i...announced.html

Rite ....

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
OK.....I never wanted to be here.....yet here I am. Im in the process of selling my 2nd mint K3 for the K3II upgrade and its hard to keep from cursing right now.
I just installed the battery grip for the very first time on this camera and guess what ? Yuuuup....you got it. Runaway shutter and I quickly pulled the battery and grip. My BP is through the roof right now.
Both batteries haven't been charged recently and Im quite sure neither was full as they are on chargers right now.
I popped in another two (not freshly charged) batteries and it did it again right off the bat ? So right now Im charging everything and letting my BP recover for a while. This is the first day I used the grip on this camera. No issues on the other K3 before when using it at all. I do not have the most recent software as it supposedly had a bug so stuck with whatever the 2nd version is.
Im not too worried about it but very frustrated to have this happen while Im upgrading to the K3II......Very Disappointed to say the least right now.
04-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Are you sure bracketing was off ?
I checked that too. Definitely off.

I'm trying to replicate the problem as I type this message. Even focusing at the same subject . Same battery (obviously weaker by now). Quite relieved that I can't replicate it but feeling a bit edgy too
04-29-2015, 07:28 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I checked that too. Definitely off.

I'm trying to replicate the problem as I type this message. Even focusing at the same subject . Same battery (obviously weaker by now). Quite relieved that I can't replicate it but feeling a bit edgy too
Yuup....Im doing the same right now without a reset. My batteries were not charged for quite a while , yet no "LOW" battery indicator was on. I charged all the batteries and cant get it to do it now at all. Mine was complete runaway when it did it yesterday .... 2X.
Yes....edgy is a good word , and a couple others I cant say here. Im leaving in 24hrs for a extended 4+ month Photo Roadtrip and DIDNT need this to happen right now at all (even though I was selling because of upgrade).....very upset.
Im grateful I have two K30's that never gave me a hint of a problem.....ever.
Completely re-evaluating everything now as far as reliability of my gear as I don't want to be dragging any trouble along with me for a trip I have planned and wanted to do for years. I wont allow any "worry" interfering with it over gear so Im giving it a very thorough workout today and if it doesn't behave itself will stay home in its box....lol

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-29-2015 at 07:56 AM.
04-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
I know the feeling. I waited almost nine years (since first K10D) for the K3, and it was a major letdown when I took it out of the box it instantly had the 'shutter flutter' attack.

I still use the K10D, and a few other Pentax frames, but I caught your reference to the K3II.

Pentax has the whole wagon riding on the K3!!

They'd better get it right this time around.

Rite ....
Yeah....Im +1 on that. Im having second thoughts and getting kinda nervous about having already Pre-Ordered. But Im not backing out and just keep my fingers crossed. Its not the end of the world either way , but just don't like the dark cloud over an unresolved issue so widespread , and now a upgraded model with the old model glitches unresolved. One more issue that crops up for me and Im going to go back to only K30s and just stay there for a very very long time. Its the frustration and wonderment of it all I can do without.
***UPDATE*** After charging the batteries it hasn't skipped a beat. That's with and without the battery grip. Im going to just let this one slide for the time being even if we don't know what exactly is causing it. Its strange that it happened within minutes of me putting the verticle grip on with not recently charged batteries that didn't show low ?
I can live with it as long as it doesn't do it again. And Im not so sure the firmware update took care of the runaway machine gun shutter because mine ran wild for about 15-20 seconds.****END****

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-29-2015 at 01:50 PM.
05-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Sounds like a fundamental issue when the battery voltage drops. As I understand it the firmware change is to detect the issue and reset the camera for you ~ so no real core fix at all in that.
If it's voltage related then resetting the camera won't help as the batteries wills till be close to depleted.

All in all it's a rather ungraceful way to shut down when the batteries are exhausted.

Has anyone undergone the return to service method mentioned above?
What do they do there?
If it's a mechanical fix then has this been applied to later K-3 models?

Was considering buying a K-3 with the prices now dropping, but am shocked to see these discussions still occurring.
03-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #43
WayBuu

I sent my camera in for warranty with the shutter or mirror flutter-panic, or whatever you want to call it. That was mid-2015. It came back with No Fault Found, for lack of a better phrase. Sadly, it came back with an ugly fingerprint on the mirror - which is still there! On the report the camera was 'cleaned' and it was suggested (actually printed) that it might be the grip. I decided to send in the grip. I called the warranty centre and the technician/operator was more than helpful! She even offered to email forms to fill and print and return with the grip. Which she did, and I filled same with the appropriate information and mailed with the grip. Finally, the mirror-slapping-shutter-flapping-in-the-middle-of-a-graduation-shoot nightmare, or ANY shoot for that matter, was about to get solved.

After waiting for an extended period of time and not receiving my grip or any correspondence, I emailed the person to whom I spoke with before returning the grip, with no reply. To date, I've written the grip off as stolen in the mail - which is my own fault because I didn't insure it. But that's not the point here! The point is the camera-freak-out is a long documented issue and not resolved (not for me, anyway). This is my first foray into Pentax and I love the end results - namely the final image, printed. AND, I've [I]drooled[I] over the thought of the day that Pentax would bring forth their Full Frame. Alas!

So, now what? Well, Pentax's issue is well documented, just like an issue with the Canon 7D - a micro focus adjustment problem. People have abandoned their 7Ds over the snag. You don't have to go far across the web to find that it's a continuous circuit and manufacturers don't solve their back issues - they just 'correct it' as they go and the early buyer's be damned. Can they not just own up to an issue! This happens so often with so many products and executives sit behind their company firewall and it's business as usual.

Can't say what's next - maybe buy a couple of dedicated batteries for the body and chug along. Don't get me wrong, it's not sour grapes over the lost grip. For my shooting style - plus a couple of back-ups - I'm fine. But very disappointed!
03-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WayBuu Quote
I sent my camera in for warranty with the shutter or mirror flutter-panic, or whatever you want to call it. That was mid-2015. It came back with No Fault Found, for lack of a better phrase.
Thank you for updating the status of your issue. I remember your other post to this thread (LINK) and I am surprised you received poor service from Pentax Canada on this issue. Complaints about Precision here in the U.S. are fairly common and to be honest, I haven't seen too many complaints about Sun Camera in Ontario.

I am curious. With the grip gone and the firmware updated, did your mirror problems resolve?

FWIW, despite being well-documented, the K-3 runaway mirror problem was far from universal and not even that common. It was corrected in production by Pentax in late-Summer 2014 once it was well-characterized and reported incidence fell off steeply in September of that year. A fix (low-level component re-flash) was offered to all owners whose cameras were still under warranty and who had at least one incident (that would be you). The firmware update was also offered as a preventative measure to avoid collateral damage to the mirror mechanism. It functioned to detect the runaway condition and abort the exposure. I always considered the firmware "fix" to be a bit of a kludge, but better than nothing.

Sorry you had such a negative experience.

Steve
03-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #45
WayBuu

Thanks, Steve

With all due respect to Sun Camera in Ontario, Canada, it wasn't sent there. It was directed to Precision Camera is the USA. I purchased my camera from BH Photo in the US, so International Warranty applied. In hindsight, if I'd known that complaints about Precision Camera were "fairly common" I'd never have sent it there and would have paid whatever was necessary to have it serviced at a reputable repair shop. I treat my photography equipment with immense respect and am particular about where it goes for service, cleaning, adjustment, etc.

When the K-3 was returned from Precision Camera the issue was not resolved. It should also be noted that the grip chewed through batteries and was practically unusable, ultimately resulting in flutter. I made certain to go into the camera settings to select the correct type of battery and usage sequence - I had high quality alkalines as well as rechargeables - grip first > main battery second; main battery first > grip second and all combinations available to troubleshoot the issue. I don't recall the issue occurring with the grip removed. I can't remember depleting the main on-board battery LI90 fully with no grip attached; I will do it, though, just to be sure, but I feel it is a K-3 ~ BG5 Grip issue. I do recall the very first time the incident happened was shortly after attaching the grip - which was a few weeks after I owned the camera.

I specifically asked Precision Camera, via a telephone conversation, about a fix for this issue before sending my K-3 to them and they told me that they never heard of the issue!!! I told them that it is well documented and left it at that. I also wrote them a detailed report of the incident and included it with the K-3.

If the issue was corrected in production in 2014 why did Precision Camera not know about the problem, being Pentax's official repair centre, a year after Pentax acknowledged the issue, when I sent my unit in? They returned it to me, noting on the report that they could not duplicate the issue and printed, right on the report, that the unit was cleaned - not withstanding the unsightly fingerprint on the mirror - and the problem may be with the grip! It's nice to see that Pentax made an effort to fix the issue, but due diligence was not served - not in my case and possibly due to Pentax's poorly chosen repair centre.

But I've gotten over it and like I said in my previous post, I'll buy one or two dedicated LI90 batteries and stay away from another grip. After all, my camera, it appears, is still faulty. I will contribute here in a positive frame and upload some great images that I've taken with my K-3

Best regards and thanks for the info!

Wayne