Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Deleting images from K3

How do I delete more than one image at a time with the K3? I don't want to delete all the images on the card but I would like to select all the images that I want to delete and delete them at once without going through the process of deleting one at a time.

03-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Scroll up to the thumbnail view, then press the DELETE button.
03-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Do as Giklab suggested as he is correct.

However It is better to download your photos then reformat your SD card after each session as deleting doesn't clear the file information completely from the stored sectors on the card. Over a period of time they will fill and cause card errors. Your cameras formatting does not erase the leftover file information contained within the sectors from using delete. If errors occur then you would more than likely need to do a low level format to completely clear and map any bad sectors on the SD card. There is software especially designed for SD cards to do that using ones computer instead of using the OS software. With that said given the amount of space on most SD cards it would take awhile before errors would occur depending on how many photos have been on the card. That being the case then as a precaution use delete but I suggest periodically use the SD card software and do a Full format to clean up your SD card.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-06-2014 at 01:19 PM.
03-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
It is better to reformat your SD card after each session as deleting doesn't clear the file information completely from the stored sectors on the card. Over a period of time they will fill up and it will cause card errors. Your cameras formatting does not erase the leftover sector information from using delete. If errors occur then you would more than likely need to do a low level format to completely clear and map any bad sectors on the SD card. There is software especially designed for SD cards to do that using ones computer instead of using the OS software.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

There may be merit to this, though I have never had a problem with SD cards on Pentax/Samsung DSLR's. A friend shooting Nikon has fouled several cards in her cameras.

03-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

speaking of which my new Pentax K-3 behaves in a way that no other digital camera I have ever owned by any other manufacturer. Specifically: if I pull the SD card out of my Mac (yes yes, I know I'm supposed to eject it first. Slap me on the wrist) and then attempt to put that card back into the K-3 it complains that the card is not readable, forcing me to reformat. This is totally reproducible so it is not a "random" behavior. I can assure you if I do the same thing with my D800 (or any other Nikon, Panasonic, or Canon for that matter) nothing "bad" happens and everything continues to work. J

ust file this under "Pentax behaviors that differ from other camera manufacturers"...

Michael
03-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
speaking of which my new Pentax K-3 behaves in a way that no other digital camera I have ever owned by any other manufacturer. Specifically: if I pull the SD card out of my Mac (yes yes, I know I'm supposed to eject it first. Slap me on the wrist) and then attempt to put that card back into the K-3 it complains that the card is not readable, forcing me to reformat. This is totally reproducible so it is not a "random" behavior. I can assure you if I do the same thing with my D800 (or any other Nikon, Panasonic, or Canon for that matter) nothing "bad" happens and everything continues to work. J

ust file this under "Pentax behaviors that differ from other camera manufacturers"...

Michael
I would file this under "things to not do when using SD with a Mac". If a card is not cleanly unmounted, there is the possibility of leaving the filesystem in an indeterminate state making it unreadable. There is little the next reader (the camera) can do to remedy the situation. I betcha if you insert the same card into another computer or one of your other cameras you will get a similar error.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-06-2014 at 01:46 PM.
03-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would file this under "things to not do when using SD with a Mac". If a card is not cleanly unmounted, leaving the filesystem in an indeterminate state, there is little the next reader (the camera) can do to remedy the situation. I betcha if you insert the same card into another computer or one of your other cameras you will get a similar error.
Nope. Works just fine with other cameras and computers. So it is specifically a Pentax thing. Nothing terribly "wrong" with this behavior, just need to be aware of it.

YMMV

Michael

03-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've had this happen with the Q and the K-01 with one 'specific' SD card ( a LEXAR)
Was fine with all other Pentax cams I have, but not those two. No other card brand gives me problems in the same scenario.
03-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I get similar errors with a 'specific card' - a MicroSD to SD adapter. And when they happen they happen big time - only my phone which takes MicroSDs directly can 'fix' the cards (3 different ones).