Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone have K-3, Flucard and Android tablet (Nexus 7 if possible)

Anyone have K-3, OFC-1 Flucard and Android tablet (Nexus 7 if possible)? If so, I'd like to ask a couple of questions related to DNG files.

Thanks,
RONC

03-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have them but maybe you can ask your question anyway? I have an android tablet and am planning on getting a FluCard and would like to know what I might be getting myself into.
03-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Has anyone tried the Flucard apps for card setup, download and geotag? They are available for both iOS and Android. They have 1 out of 5 star ratings so don't expect much.

I'd still like to communicate with Android tablet user.

RONC
03-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FluCard apps from Trek that I've tried do not work with the O-FC1 Pentax-branded FluCard when installed in a K-3 (and possibly in future Pentax bodies). The difference is in the firmware. The O-FC1 shows up on the network as "FLUCARD_for_PENTAX" when it's in a K-3, and Flu-apps don't see it. When you put the O-FC1 into a K-5 (or Q, or Nikon D7000, or whatever) then it operates as a generic FluCard, and shows up with the SSID of "PentaxFlucard" (and this is without changing the SSID). So, the card is obviously changing it's network behavior based on being inside a K-3 (and having bi-directional communication going), which, I think, is why the few Flu-apps I've tried have not worked. That said, this is on iOS, so maybe the Android versions are different.

03-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's one of the items I wanted to know about. Can't you change "FLUCARD_for_PENTAX" to what is needed for non K-3 camera? I think we need to get the other potential options researched and out of the way.

I still have a specific set of questions for the Android user.

RONC
03-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
That's one of the items I wanted to know about. Can't you change "FLUCARD_for_PENTAX" to what is needed for non K-3 camera?
It's not the SSID that is preventing anything - that's just an example of how the card acts differently in a K-3 from any other camera. The custom stuff that has been added gets "turned on" when it's in the K-3, and this makes it different from generic FluCards. Apparently different enough that the generic apps don't know what to make of it.

Oddly enough, the official Pentax instructions say you can use those generic apps with the O-FC1 if it isn't in a supported Pentax camera, so they are aware of this difference!
03-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Do you think one can, or will be able to, set up a K-3 to emulate a K-50, panoguy, so that limited one-way traffic for downloading from the camera would be possible using Eye-Fi or Trek/Flu•card•"other" (in my case, FlashAir for Olympus? One thing different about my situation is that there is a dedicated, camera-centric Olympus app for the FlashAir, rather than just a generic one. Hmm... is that good or bad?!). *Re, the original question: I have a Nexus 7•2013 and a new, as in virginal, K-3. So I'm keen on the same questions. But I'm right down at the bottom of the whole Pentax DSLR learning curve after a long hiatus from photography; so I'm sure I'm not the guy to try out the experiments at this time.

03-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a K3 with a OFC-1 in the mail but I also have a generic Flucard Pro also. I have run the generic Flucard in my K3 and connected
to my Xperia android tablet with the Flucard SV Pro app without any problems. The only problem I've encountered is with my android devices
being unable to natively read DNG's but this was solved with the app Photo Mate. I'm sure there are other apps that will do this also.
Glenn
03-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
I have a K3 with a OFC-1 in the mail but I also have a generic Flucard Pro also. I have run the generic Flucard in my K3 and connected
to my Xperia android tablet with the Flucard SV Pro app without any problems. The only problem I've encountered is with my android devices
being unable to natively read DNG's but this was solved with the app Photo Mate. I'm sure there are other apps that will do this also.
Glenn
Cool! That's right, you Aussies got free generic FluCards with your K-3s...
03-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's good news, Glenn. My Toshiba FlashAir card came with an E-PL5 I picked up still new in the box, but secondhand; Olympus bundled it in some kits early in the life of that model as a marketing promotion. And thanks so much for the right software Rx! The Nexus/ Android/ App thing is still relatively new to me as well; and of course, it's the hip thing to do for manufacturers to supply these devices with zero instructions, not even a quick start guide.
04-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #11

Cant get Live view to work.

Hi.

I just got the 0-FC1 and tried to connect it to my Nexus 5 and Nexus 10. But the Live View wont work.
I tried 10 different browsers with the same result.

Every 30 sec or so i get a popup with the text "The operation could not be completed correctly"
I cant take pictures and access all the settings, but not the live view.

Anyone with the same problem?
04-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hostis Quote
Hi.

I just got the 0-FC1 and tried to connect it to my Nexus 5 and Nexus 10. But the Live View wont work.
I tried 10 different browsers with the same result.

Every 30 sec or so i get a popup with the text "The operation could not be completed correctly"
I cant take pictures and access all the settings, but not the live view.

Anyone with the same problem?
Live View menu, composition adjust must be off.
04-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
Unregistered User

I have put my O-FC1 in my Sony RX100 and tried the Flucard apps on my Sony Xperia V and Samsung S4 and they do not work. Using the browser opens the Pentax program but with the Remote control grayed out.

EDIT: BUT on windows 7 the apps work like a charm.
04-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flu card on android

I have had the Pentax flu card for several weeks and tried it with a variety of devices. I have an HP touchpad rooted with kit kat 4.42. I can connect to the k3 flu card with chrome, Firefox and browser.
I also connected with the dell pro 8 windows my home made desktop, a generation 2 apple touch, Samsung netbook. I can not get Internet explorer to connect. Chrome works the best and the latestl Firefox works fine.
I have downloaded the apps from the flu card web site. With these apps for windows installed I can view the contents of the card on my computer and transfer the files on the card to a directory on my computer.
My favorite device is the HP touchpad for viewing and controlling the k3. Easy to hold turn it to portrait for all the controls, turn to landscape for a better picture view, pinch to zoom in, and a quality 10'' screen.
Biggest problem is making an initial connection. The signal is week from the flu card and the devices keeps defaulting to the stronger signal on my router if the flu card signal is interrupted. It is a pain to disable my router every time I want to use the camera remotely around home.
Hank
04-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by oneeyedhawk Quote
I have had the Pentax flu card for several weeks and tried it with a variety of devices. I have an HP touchpad rooted with kit kat 4.42. I can connect to the k3 flu card with chrome, Firefox and browser.
I also connected with the dell pro 8 windows my home made desktop, a generation 2 apple touch, Samsung netbook. I can not get Internet explorer to connect. Chrome works the best and the latestl Firefox works fine.
I have downloaded the apps from the flu card web site. With these apps for windows installed I can view the contents of the card on my computer and transfer the files on the card to a directory on my computer.
My favorite device is the HP touchpad for viewing and controlling the k3. Easy to hold turn it to portrait for all the controls, turn to landscape for a better picture view, pinch to zoom in, and a quality 10'' screen.
Biggest problem is making an initial connection. The signal is week from the flu card and the devices keeps defaulting to the stronger signal on my router if the flu card signal is interrupted. It is a pain to disable my router every time I want to use the camera remotely around home.
Hank
Have you tried to change channel for the Flucard? I did and the connection now is solid.