Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Red AF dot not in center

Just upgraded from a K-x to a K-3. I noticed that the red box that lights up over the center autofocus point is not actually in the center. I set the camera for center-point autofocusing. The red light is slightly de-centered to the upper left (still well within center brackets). Is this variation normal?

03-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi ironlionzion,

The red LED squares are only focus point indicators, and are an overlay peojected on the focusing screen. The exact position within each of the "focus points" (AF focus sensor areas) is non critical as they do nothing except indicate which focus sensor area is active. The actual focus sensor area is significantly larger than the red indicator -- on the K-3 the center "point" is a bit smaller than the ( ) brackets in the center of the focusing screen.

Scott
03-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the camera in select mode perhaps?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
Just upgraded from a K-x to a K-3. I noticed that the red box that lights up over the center autofocus point is not actually in the center. I set the camera for center-point autofocusing. The red light is slightly de-centered to the upper left (still well within center brackets). Is this variation normal?
I upgraded to the K-3 about two months ago. I quickly realized that all of my AF indicators were off center. They are all higher than centered. This was at first greatly concerning to me and really bugged me cause I noticed it every time I used the camera. I wanted to bring it up on the forum and wanted a picture of all the points illuminated to prove my point. I even made a post asking for advice on how to take a picture of the inside of the viewfinder (which Adam answered). My concern has since waned to the point that it no longer is an issue for me. I realize the red indicators are an overlay approximating the location of the actual AF points.
If you can ironlionzion (great name btw) set your AF to AF-C or AF-A and SEL 4. Then look through the viewfinder and press the AF point selection button just to the bottom right corner of the directional pad on the back of the camera. In pressing it you will notice all the AF indicators illuminate simultaneously for a brief moment. That way you can see if they're all off centered and not just the center indicator.

03-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The focusing screen may be not aligned correctly(misaligned). It has happened when I cleaned it and not got it back correctly.
03-09-2014, 03:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! Adam: it's definitely on center mode. I switched it to select, and, similar to geomez, all my AF indicators are shifted to the upper left. Thanks for pointing out that these are just overlays and probably doesn't indicate that the actual focusing points are off. I'm sure I'll get over it; I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something critical.
03-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just had a look in the viewfinder of my K10D. The dot is about 1/2 way between center and the bottom right of the ( ). I never noticed this before. Interesting,