Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Amy - Please remove the star from my name. I only have one K-3. And I have not had a mirror flap episode for a few months now.

Jack
I wouldn;t worry about it the SDM petition has lens with SDM failure that are screw drive, will surely give Pentax/Ricoh a laugh as they bank their profits !

The probem I see with threads like this is it gives the contibuters the impression they are helping leverage Penatx/Ricoh to issue a FW update that will remedy their issue.

However there is no eveidence that the issue can be fixed with a FW update nor that every flap is casued by the same root issue.

So you end up with hundred's of flapping K3's no fix and lot of frustrated users.

Whereas if they all did the right thing they'd be 103 potanialy 'fixed k3's with moderatly happy users and Pentax/Ricoh woudl be upto £100,000 out of pocket a serious incentive to stop shipping faulty cameras.

05-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #272
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
So you end up with hundred's of flapping K3's no fix and lot of frustrated users.

Whereas if they all did the right thing they'd be 103 potanialy 'fixed k3's with moderatly happy users and Pentax/Ricoh woudl be upto £100,000 out of pocket a serious incentive to stop shipping faulty cameras
Many had rather live with the problem than be without their camera for an extended period. It's human nature, like walking for miles with a rock in your shoe, complaining with every step and continuing on without remedy. Even, when/if, Ricoh addresses the problem, many will not send in their cameras. A quick turnaround would help in the decision, but at 4-12 weeks, I'm not sure I would send mine in either?

Regards!
05-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #273

Amy - Please remove the star from my name. I only have one K-3. And I have not had a mirror flap episode for a few months now.

Jack
How does that make any sense whatsoever?

I believe the entire point to this thread is to document different users that have had the issue occur - not just people plagued by it.
05-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by A.Yzerr Quote
How does that make any sense whatsoever?

I believe the entire point to this thread is to document different users that have had the issue occur - not just people plagued by it.
It makes perfect sense. The * denotes users with more than one camera that has had the mirror flop issue. Jack has only got one K3 and the mirror flop has only happened once. That's it, end of story, nothing to see here move on by.

05-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #275

QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
It makes perfect sense. The * denotes users with more than one camera that has had the mirror flop issue. Jack has only got one K3 and the mirror flop has only happened once. That's it, end of story, nothing to see here move on by.
I'm fairly certain the star designates someone reporting the incident in this thread, a name listed without a star is a user that reported in another thread.

Multiple camera bodies are designated by numbers following the entry.

Unless this has somehow changed since the beginning of the thread?
05-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #276
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is not what the thread description says. It may need to be re-written to correct the wrong impression.

Jack
05-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #277

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Members Reporting the Issue

So far, in the various threads about this issue, between me and Jhmos, we've counted a total of 103 people who have reported having the problem at least once. This is a complete list. The names with stars are the ones that have also reported here in this thread (the ones without stars have reported in one of the other threads linked above). I will update the list as more people reply here.

The names with numbers indicate that the user has had more than one K3 body suffer with this problem.

agchang ✭ (2 bodies effected)
audiobomber ✭
aurans ✭
A.Yzerr ✭
Barry Pearson ✭
bass3587 ✭
beachmama
BillO ✭
Black_Wizards ✭
BorisAngelis ✭
bschafer ✭
bvanes ✭
carolina_sky
Circuits ✭
Cyril_K5
dadipentak ✭
David&karen ✭
derekkite
dgrPhotos ✭
DimC
distudio ✭
dodel ✭
dosdan
DRabbit ✭ (2 bodies effected)
Dreamsong ✭
eaglem
Edchristenson ✭
emiliogv ✭
Erd§ ✭
esancho
Essdubbya ✭
evansph ✭
fcrespo ✭ (mirror-flapping seems to have caused camera to die completely)
fjeril ✭
Flasher ✭
Fussy Pentax User ✭
Geoff Ince ✭
goubejp ✭
gryhnd ✭
gzub ✭
i_trax ✭
isnogud ✭
Jbinpg ✭
etc.
I fail to see the cause for confusion.

05-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is fine. I must have read it wrong the first time.

Jack
05-27-2014, 02:04 AM   #279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is fine. I must have read it wrong the first time.

Jack
Me too. In retrospect I can't see how. I feel foolish.
05-27-2014, 06:49 AM   #280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been around the last few days (though I'm sure a few of you would like me to go away completely, LOL)... I was away for the holiday weekend, but my vacation was cut short with the need for emergency gallbladder surgery on Sunday night. I am home recuperating now.

As for how the numbers are tallied - it was clear from the beginning that all the stars meant were that those names match up with reports inside this specific thread. The ones without stars, as stated in the original post, were collected from some of the other threads on the same topic.

As for the purpose of this thread - it was never meant to instruct anyone on how to get their specific camera fixed. It was always intended to collect reports of the crazy mirror-flapping incidents from other users, to try to get a sense of how widespread the problem is, and, if indeed it was prevalent enough, to put pressure on Pentax to acknowledge the issue and fix it. Since up until last week they weren't even acknowledging the problem, and that even with the latest, most recent reply from Ricoh finally admitting and recognizing the issue, they themselves indicate they are still trying to figure out what causes it (that their engineers are working on it) -- so constantly telling people to send their camera in for warranty repair seems like telling them to piss into the wind. At least at this point. This is the problem I myself ran into back when I owned my K3s. If the company doesn't know what causes it, they certainly can't fix it, even under warranty.

And there was never a suggestion or any instructions that this thread was meant to force Pentax to issue a firmware update that would fix the problem. This has never been about firmware. I'm not even sure where that idea comes from. Maybe because it starts off with my video stating that even with the latest firmware the issue occurs -- but that was for the sake of being thorough, to prevent others from suggesting "try updating the firmware". I myself think it's a hardware problem, not one firmware can fix... but I will admit that it's possible I'm wrong.

Now that Ricoh has, at last, somewhat publicly addressed that the issue exists we can all hope we are on a path to final resolution, where future K3s (and other Pentax bodies) don't have this problem, and where anyone who has had the issue can send it in to be fixed. Hopefully the information collected inside this thread has been helpful to them, and at the least, it has served to prove to them that this problem exists across a wide array of serial numbers and in a lot of different conditions, so it isn't just a fluke that a handful of people have had, nor does it only occur in extreme temperatures or isolated conditions. From a marketing standpoint alone, Ricoh/Pentax certainly doesn't want to hear of more reports of this one distinct problem than that same product gets in numbers of positive review on a popular shopping site... so that alone has served to prove to them it doesn't deserve to be ignored.

Lets all hope for the solution to come quickly now so Ricoh can put this issue to rest for once and for all. Let us all hope that the crazy mirror flapping problem in any K3, or other Pentax body for that matter, is addressed and fixed so we can ALL buy their cameras with confidence. I know I'd like to be a K3 owner again, but it needs to at least be as reliable as the K5-II and K5-IIs before I will consider it.

Thanks everyone,
05-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I think I may have had a brief episode yesterday--turned it off and back on and was able to proceed as if nothing had happened.

Serial Number: 4842361
UPDATE: Had my 2nd episode this morning, pretty much the same as the first.
05-28-2014, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #282

QuoteQuote:
I have news. I returned the K3 back again after 24 hours. The in-camera flash did not work. When opening the flash lid, the camera just would not take pictures. During repair they replaced the flash circuit, so maybe this is related. The guys of www.photo-univers.fr this time answered nicely "send us the camera and we will change it". So now I am waiting for a new K3, hopefully.
Just for your general amusement, let me share more news on my broken K3 saga.

The camera was sent back again on 16th May, on the understanding I would get a new one. I got this answer today (27th May):

"exactly, your K3 not work correctly. We have to send it to PENTAX for repair and i’am sorry but i done a mistake because we can’t change it, i thought your order was recent but not, the product is not new and i can’t change it by another product. We send your K3 to Pentax and we indicate to do fast repair."

To which I answered:

"Well this is very dissapointing. The K3 "not new" is a camera that I bought in 14th January 2014 and stopped working on 1st March 2014. When does the camera become "not new"? As far as I am concerned the camera is "very new". Today, 27th May, I am still without the camera. What I would like is to have a new camera replaced, or otherwise I would like to return the camera and have my money back. Is that possible please? Can you check with Pentax or Ricoh if this can be done? I cannot think of Cannon, or Nikon or Fuji treating customers like this."

I think that it is only a camera, so why get upset? But next camera I will buy, in choosing the brand, I will surely check very carefully what post-delivery support is provided and its reputation in my area of the world, because it can be much more important than any supposedly technical or handling advantage.

05-28-2014, 04:33 AM   #283

Yes I'm amused indeed.....probably meanwhile some dealers too.... did they state where exactly (which Pentax branch) they want to send your K3?
05-28-2014, 04:53 AM   #284

QuoteQuote:
Yes I'm amused indeed.....probably meanwhile some dealers too.... did they state where exactly (which Pentax branch) they want to send your K3?

Pentax in France I assume. I live in Rome, and bought the camera through Amazon who chanelled the purchase via a shop in France.
05-28-2014, 05:18 AM   #285

LOL - I could bring it directly to the manufacturer (Pentax - Philippines) I live just some km's from Lapu-Lapu away.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSLR-A850  Photo 

Last edited by WaveDancer; 05-28-2014 at 06:01 AM.