Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2014, 02:39 AM   #466

Photos: Gallery
I spoke with the repair tech at CR Kennedy (Australian distributor) today re the mirror flap problem. I had intended returning my silver some months back but thought it would be prudent to wait as I did not want it opened or replaced with a black. From reading a few posts and other info on the web, only the authorised repairers have been able to undertake the firmware update to resolve? the problem.
Well, the repair guy has now informed me that the mirror flap firmware update has been included in firmware update 1.10 and that there is now no need to be sent for repair. It has not been documented by Ricoh (as usual). Fingers firmly crossed.

07-17-2014, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #467
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No issues a month after "fix."

I got my K-3 back from C.R.I.S. a month ago, and in the meantime installed the latest firmware v. 1.10. Before the "fix" I had two instances of runaway mirror flap over a period of six months. It's been a month now, and I have not had any repeat of the mirror flapping problem. Not to say it couldn't happen, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm using my K-3 with a great deal of confidence now, and have purchased two limited lenses to take advantage of its 24mp files with maximum sharpness. Hate to use an overworked word, but it's awesome. Here's a pic taken yesterday with the HD-DA 15mm ED AL Limited. Crisp, and the color rendition just blew me away. I'm in the groove now; a happy camper.

John
PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

07-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #468
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sigmund Quote
Would someone be kind enough to add any fix suggestions apart from firmware as a sticky ? I'm on very limited internetivity.
At the beginning of this thread in the updates, I link to the latest information. Right now, it seems the only fix is to send the camera in. There are suggestions that maybe firmware 1.10 fixes it, but then there are reports that people have encountered the problem even with 1.10.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sigmund Quote
K, haven't installed the new firmware. Have had 3 episodes; each started in a handheld single shot session on Tv with a battery grip attached. Turning the power off didn't stop it. Power 1/3rd or more. #4937450. Pretty peeved as power has to be husbanded carefully where I am.
Thanks for the report... you're the winner for the highest serial number so far

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
1.10 installed. No mirror flap, but the other irritation another lock-up has just occurred. This time I was only looking at image by image on playback. Switching off did fix it, only taking the battery out worked. All OK after this.
This is minor, but I guess it shows that 1.10 is not yet entirely stable.
The lockups are incredibly annoying (even without mirror-flapping). I know that overall they are minor, but they did contribute to my inability to rely on the camera. Mind you, I've had no such lockups with the K5-II or two K5-IIs bodies I have, to date, with lots of shutter actuations. I just shot time-lapse today, all day, with the two K5-IIs bodies and didn't have a single issue (I easily put 5000 shutter actuations on each body).

QuoteOriginally posted by Essdubbya Quote
I spoke with the repair tech at CR Kennedy (Australian distributor) today re the mirror flap problem. I had intended returning my silver some months back but thought it would be prudent to wait as I did not want it opened or replaced with a black. From reading a few posts and other info on the web, only the authorised repairers have been able to undertake the firmware update to resolve? the problem.
Well, the repair guy has now informed me that the mirror flap firmware update has been included in firmware update 1.10 and that there is now no need to be sent for repair. It has not been documented by Ricoh (as usual). Fingers firmly crossed.
This is interesting. I've written to my contact at Ricoh/Pentax to see if he'll confirm... Of course, there are also reports of people having the problem with firmware 1.10, so we'll see what the official word is. LOL

I was seriously considering buying another K3 just to test all the latest out... I doubt anyone is willing to let me borrow theirs for testing purposes...
but after reading the other thread about firmware 1.10 and people running into the mirror-flapping even with that latest update, I'll likely hold off.

Last edited by DRabbit; 07-17-2014 at 07:33 PM.
07-18-2014, 02:27 AM   #469

Photos: Albums
Amy, why would you buy a K-3, if K-5IIs obviously suits your [fairly specific, I admit] needs better? it's unlikely you need fast of low light AF for time lapses (I'd imagine, they go on MF anyways), buffer speed is irrelevant, and I believe you are turning the timelapses in a video, and K-5 offers enough resolution to even go 4K. I don't see any rational grounds for that, but I don't know the details.

07-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #470
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote
Amy, why would you buy a K-3, if K-5IIs obviously suits your [fairly specific, I admit] needs better? it's unlikely you need fast of low light AF for time lapses (I'd imagine, they go on MF anyways), buffer speed is irrelevant, and I believe you are turning the timelapses in a video, and K-5 offers enough resolution to even go 4K. I don't see any rational grounds for that, but I don't know the details.
Well, in theory the K-3's 200k frames shutter rating should mean fewer replacements...?
07-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #471

My K3 flapped today, EXIF shutter count shows 949 actuations - not sure how accurate this is since my file name is already 1016...
Serial: 4840580, 2 SD cards in, 16GB Sandisk Extreme Pro in SD1 and 16GB FluCard in SD2. Battery was freshly charged and I'd taken maybe 80-100 photo's on it. Shooting single shots, nothing fancy. Full exif info from last photo attached. Lens was Sigma 18-250mm DC Macro HSM. Firmware 1.10. Resolved by removing battery.
Attached Files
File Type: txt IMGP1016.txt (38.1 KB, 188 views)
07-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #472
Veteran Member

I realize I neglected to report my serial # before. It's #4830269

07-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #473

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Well, in theory the K-3's 200k frames shutter rating should mean fewer replacements...?
well, that's a good point.
07-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #474
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
What Doundounba said would make it longer laster... Also, I use the camera for other photography other than just time-lapse, so it's always beneficial to have a little extra resolution. I also liked how the K3 was set up with time-lapse as part of the drive mode...easier to get into and start than buried in a menu. Of course, I'm also happy to continue shooting with the K5-IIs as well, or to pick up a K3 in a year when the price plummets (assuming the mirror-flapping gets fixed).

In fairness, I'm also exploring other options as well. I can tell you right now, if Fuji updates it's firmware on lower camera bodies like the XA1 to include interval shooting, I'd probably already be testing it out. I love my XT1, but since it's my artsy-fartsy for-fun camera, I don't want to start putting a bunch of shutter actuations on it.

I did buy a Pentax Q10 to try out. The dynamic range and low-noise performance just aren't there... though it is a fun little camera. There'd be potential if it had a better sensor, especially since it can run in electronic shutter mode, which would mean no shutter actuations to worry about at all. When I tested it out doing a time-lapse (
), I ran it for over 12,000 shots and didn't have a single problem. Isn't that sad that the K3 can't do the same thing? LOL
07-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #475
Veteran Member

Do lockups without mirror flapping count ? I had around 6 or 7 since December. 1.10 firmware was no cure for that.
07-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #476
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
What Doundounba said would make it longer laster... Also, I use the camera for other photography other than just time-lapse, so it's always beneficial to have a little extra resolution. I also liked how the K3 was set up with time-lapse as part of the drive mode...easier to get into and start than buried in a menu. Of course, I'm also happy to continue shooting with the K5-IIs as well, or to pick up a K3 in a year when the price plummets (assuming the mirror-flapping gets fixed).

In fairness, I'm also exploring other options as well. I can tell you right now, if Fuji updates it's firmware on lower camera bodies like the XA1 to include interval shooting, I'd probably already be testing it out. I love my XT1, but since it's my artsy-fartsy for-fun camera, I don't want to start putting a bunch of shutter actuations on it.

I did buy a Pentax Q10 to try out. The dynamic range and low-noise performance just aren't there... though it is a fun little camera. There'd be potential if it had a better sensor, especially since it can run in electronic shutter mode, which would mean no shutter actuations to worry about at all. When I tested it out doing a time-lapse (view it here), I ran it for over 12,000 shots and didn't have a single problem. Isn't that sad that the K3 can't do the same thing? LOL
That was a GREAT ride, Amy! Thanks for showing it to us. I noticed a number of monuments shaped like the Washington Monument along the way. Do you know what those were?

John
07-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
Do lockups without mirror flapping count ? I had around 6 or 7 since December. 1.10 firmware was no cure for that.
It counts in the sense that it goes towards the unreliability of the camera… but it doesn't count in the total numbers here in this thread. We're only counting mirror-flapping updates.

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
That was a GREAT ride, Amy! Thanks for showing it to us. I noticed a number of monuments shaped like the Washington Monument along the way. Do you know what those were?
Thanks John… As a native, I should know more details about their history, but I don't. There are three of them along Ocean Parkway (which is on Fire Island), marking the junctions of other highways -- Robert Moses Causeway, Wantagh Parkway and Meadowbrook Parkway. They are monuments, but they are also water towers. At the Wantagh Parkway junction, there is a falcon's nest that locals often talk about. I read somewhere a while back that if you are at the top of one tower on a clear day, you can see all the way down to another. Ocean Parkway is one of my favorite roads to drive because, as the name suggestions, it runs all along the Ocean on one side, and the bay on the other.
07-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #478

Hi.
Has anyone who has had the Pentax applied repair since suffered the same thing.
I ask as i had hoped like many that the update was a fix, and was holding off sending my camera in(UK)for the fix..........
07-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #479
Pentaxian

It's sad that there is still no official solution to the problem. Besides its mirror flapping the K-3 is such a fine camera.
07-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #480

So, it occurs to me (having never had the problem) that if you used a grip and an L bracket, and the solution is to remove the battery to stop the mirror from flapping, and you need to remove the in-camera battery, that could take some time. Or, can you simply turn the grip off, and it is sufficient to stop the behavior?