Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That article shows a reason why the 32 bit won't install and might give you an idea for research.
You might create a 2nd user account, give it full privileges, install the software using run as administrator.
If it works in the new account, you have 'Leftovers' in the registry of the original account. You'll need to clear them
all out and do a fresh install.
If it doesn't work on the 2nd user account the program is probably not compatible.

If it doesn't work in the 2nd account, just delete the account.

03-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I've never come across a 32bit application that won't install in Windows 64bit. That's what WOW64 is designed for.
My advice is to Contact RICOH support.
03-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
That article shows a reason why the 32 bit won't install and might give you an idea for research.
You might create a 2nd user account, give it full privileges, install the software using run as administrator.
If it works in the new account, you have 'Leftovers' in the registry of the original account. You'll need to clear them
If it doesn't work on the 2nd user account the program is probably not compatible.

The setup program does not extract 32-bit version since it detects I'm running a 64-bit computer. I have friends running this software successfully on a 64-bit platform.

---------- Post added 2014-03-18 at 22:56 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote

And I have tried your other advices also, with no change. This really irritates me.
03-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leooel Quote
I am aware of alternative solutions, its just that it bugs me that a software that was delivered when i purchased the camera does not work.
I hate to ask, but did you contact customer support? You paid for it, after all.

Steve

03-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hi again Leooel. I have another suggestion I played with this option using Windows 7 Pro 64.

(I am assuming you have completed an install properly, but PDCU5 doesn't start up beyond the splash screen).

(1) Make sure you are logged onto Windows with an account with admin privileges;

(2) Open up Windows Explorer (or whatever it is called in Win8);

(3) Navigate to the folder C:\Program Files\PENTAX\Digital Camera Utility 5;

(4) In that folder there should be 5 or 6 files. One of the files should be called: PUTLL5.dat, which is about 12kb. Rename that file to PUTLL5.dat.BAK. (Windows may raise all sorts of objections to doing so, since you are working in a program file folder, but as an Admin you should be able to perform this operation).

(5) Now attempt to start PDCU5, either from the start menu or by just double-clicking on 'Digital Camera Utility 5.exe' in the current Windows explorer folder. PDCU5 should start, but only show the splash-screen, then fail.

(6) Now start up Notepad (still while running as an Admin user) and create a file in the
C:\Program Files\PENTAX\Digital Camera Utility 5 folder called PUTLL5.dat. Add some garbage words into the file and save it, making sure that you are saving it as 'PUTLL5.dat', not 'PUTLL5.dat.txt'.

(7) Now attempt to start PDCU5, either from the start menu or by just double-clicking on 'Digital Camera Utility 5.exe' in the current Windows explorer folder. PDCU5 should start.

In my case, on Windows 7, what this process did at step (5) was initially clear many of my PDCU 5 program settings (for home folder etc). When I created a dummy PUTLL5.dat file at step (6) and started PDCU5 again, the program ran fine and let me start work straight away, and from that point program options were saved into the registry as normal.

So this process seemed to reset some of the startup parameters of PDCU5. Maybe that is what is blocking the startup of PDCU5 for you. Maybe. Perhaps. Could be.
03-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I hate to ask, but did you contact customer support? You paid for it, after all.

Steve
Yes, I have been in contact with the support. They have so far not being able to help me.

---------- Post added 2014-03-19 at 08:11 ----------

Rawr,

First, thanks for your efforts. But following your advice, just leads to the same behavior as before, splash screen comes up, then nothing.
This is frustrating, and everything else is just working fine...I installed the developer studio, the trial version and it works perfectly.
03-19-2014, 03:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

But following your advice, just leads to the same behavior as before
Bummer.

OK, what about another option:
- uninstall PDCU5;
- re-install PDCU5 to a different folder location during setup, so that instead of installing to the default folder:
C:\Program Files\PENTAX\Digital Camera Utility 5
you specify a new folder, like:
C:\Program Files\PENTAX\PDCU5
- start the application

Another thing, on the CDROM there is a /BIN folder. Within that there are two files:
SETUP32.EXE
SETUP64.EXE

If the standard autostart installer on the CDROM doesn't let you choose to do a 32bit install on your Win8 PC, manually run SETUP32.EXE yourself.

Finally, in all of your install efforts, have you been installing from the original supplied CD? I ask because in the past, and possibly the present, the install has sometimes failed because the program installation needed to see that the original Pentax CD was used during installation. The program would install, but often fail to run the first time until it had seen the original install CD, and noted that it had been installed from such a CD. Hence installing PDCU from a network share or an ISO disk image may not work.

04-07-2014, 01:27 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally got DCU5 to work with Windows 7 pro 64 bit

I originally installed DCU5 on my PC using the "run as Administrator" option. In regular use my account has basic user privileges. After the install I tried to run it using my normal account and the thing described in this thread happened (start screen blink and then nothing). I then started it as Administrator and voila it started. My thoughts about Silkypix/Richo at that time can not be described as I'm not allowed to use foul language in this forum. I remember the startup problemes from DCU4.4.

After a good nights sleep it hit me. Since the programmers obviously are amateurs the installation procedure does something to account settings. So I set out to test the following:

- Upgrade priviledges for normal account to Administrator
- Log on
- Run the installation (again choose 64 bit)
- When prompted choose "Repair" and finnish the installation
- Start application once (not sure if that is necessary, but just to be safe)
- Take away administrator priviledges
- Log out and log on again

Now when starting DCU5 as a basic user it worked.

I know that you are using Win 8 but this might give you another idea to test at least. If not maybe someone else has faced my situation.
04-07-2014, 02:19 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I know this is not going to help you getting the program to work, but in my opinion you are wasting a lot of energy in getting a program to run that will just continue to frustrate you. I have the habit of trying it out every time there are significant changes in my setup - new version of windows, update to the program itself etc. And while it always installs fine it also always crashes my computers after a little while and it is the only program that does that. The various free converters on the market do a better job imo. I also have the "real" Silkypix which came with my Samsung GX10 (= Pentax K10) and it has never crashed on me.
04-07-2014, 02:57 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I originally installed DCU5 on my PC using the "run as Administrator" option. In regular use my account has basic user privileges. After the install I tried to run it using my normal account and the thing described in this thread happened (start screen blink and then nothing). I then started it as Administrator and voila it started. My thoughts about Silkypix/Richo at that time can not be described as I'm not allowed to use foul language in this forum. I remember the startup problemes from DCU4.4.

After a good nights sleep it hit me. Since the programmers obviously are amateurs the installation procedure does something to account settings. So I set out to test the following:

- Upgrade priviledges for normal account to Administrator
- Log on
- Run the installation (again choose 64 bit)
- When prompted choose "Repair" and finnish the installation
- Start application once (not sure if that is necessary, but just to be safe)
- Take away administrator priviledges
- Log out and log on again

Now when starting DCU5 as a basic user it worked.

I know that you are using Win 8 but this might give you another idea to test at least. If not maybe someone else has faced my situation.
Thanks for the tip. I have been testing your suggestions, but fails with same resultat. I Will try this again, though. I May have forgot some steps. I come back with the outcome.
04-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #26

Original Poster
And now i have tried to fix this for the last time. Created a new user, basic rights, installed the software as admin (run as...). Started the program as an ordinary user with no admin, no luck as expected. Then as admin...no luck....same as before splash window then nothing..no error message...
04-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #27
Unregistered User

And now i have tried to fix this for the last time. Created a new user, basic rights, installed the software as admin (run as...). Started the program as an ordinary user with no admin, no luck as expected. Then as admin...no luck....same as before splash window then nothing..no error message...
I don't know about Windows 8.1 but in Windows 7 and earlier if you right click on the shortcut and choose properties (i think it is called that in english) and then open the tab that says compability. Click the "Run this program in compability mode for" and choose Windows 7. (I now just translated directly the swedish text so it may state differently in the english version...)

Maybe this could work...
04-15-2014, 01:11 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I don't know about Windows 8.1 but in Windows 7 and earlier if you right click on the shortcut and choose properties (i think it is called that in english) and then open the tab that says compability. Click the "Run this program in compability mode for" and choose Windows 7. (I now just translated directly the swedish text so it may state differently in the english version...)

Maybe this could work...
Tjompen,

Yes, ive tried this as well. No luck....
05-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #29

Hi - Joust found this thread after trying everything in order to install this same software that came with my new K-3. My laptop is a Lenovo too, running Win 8.1 64. Same result, and impossible to install the 32 bit version.

Still no solution?
05-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #30

Original Poster
Nope, i have accepted to live with this. Dont like it at all, grrrr. But still, im using Lightroom and are fine with that. Annoying though to buy something that doesn't work.