Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #1

Finally made a decision!

I've decided to purchase the Pentax K-3. The reason is that I live in a relatively dry and dusty place - New Mexico. So, the weather-sealing is going to be very important to me.

B&H Photo Video has a nice bundle of the K-3 body and battery grip here.

03-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hope you have a good WR lens with it as well because the weather seals of the camera is only good when paired with a matching weather sealed lens. And congratulations you've got a very powerful camera.
03-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'm going to get the 18-55 mm and 55-300 mm weather-sealed lenses. Maybe, I might get the 18-135 mm instead of the 18-55 mm lens. All depends how much money I will have at the end of next month.
03-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Evening and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, paring sealed lenses with a sealed body is the way to go in order to maintain integrity when you are in a dusty/wet environment - a rain or dust storm. I live across the border in Aridzona - and really have not had a problem - although I don't go out when it is storming.

I might suggest picking up a 2 year extended warranty that Pentax offers - its $20 and the best deal around. It even includes a free cleaning.Just keep the card with your receipt - it extends the normal 1 year warranty to 3 years. If you need service, just send copies of the card and your receipt to Pentax/CRIS in Phoenix and they repair or replace.

03-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try some better WR lens.
The K-3 is capable of so much more and 18-55 WR kit lens or 18-135WR won’t make you say wow! when you look at your photographs.
Instead of buying two basic/ordinary WR lenses, I suggest get one that really rocks.
If you were buying a K-50, I would not be suggesting this.
03-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by James Rhodes Quote
I'm going to get the 18-55 mm and 55-300 mm weather-sealed lenses. Maybe, I might get the 18-135 mm instead of the 18-55 mm lens. All depends how much money I will have at the end of next month.
I understand the importance of budget....and I encourage you to stay within that price range. That said, the image quality of the 18-135 is much better than that of the 18-55 (in my experience and in the ratings here). If you can't swing both the 18-135 and the 55-300, I'd start with just the 18-135 and save up for the 55-300 later. I just can't see pairing the 18-55 with the K-3, the camera needs better glass to do its thing. Sure you could go right to the DA* or Limiteds, but they do sound out of budget at this time.

The 55-300 has a good reputation, and I don't think you'll be as happy with the 18-55 shots, especially since you'll be comparing them constantly to your 55-300 shots. Sure, you can sell the 18-55 later, but you'll still lose money on it. If I had just one of my lenses, it would be the 18-135 (but I'd whine a lot about not having my primes), it's got decent image quality and a good zoom range, along with the weather sealing, while staying light. It's my go-to bad weather lens. I just think it is more economical to buy one good lens right off the bat, rather than buy your way gradually to what you really want. I've traveled that road, and I'd have a little more cash if I hadn't.

You won't regret spending he $20 on the extended warranty, as interested_observer suggests; I'd definitely get that.

One idea, you could try the used market to stretch your dollar and get better lenses (no, I'm not selling anything). There's the marketplace here, used sections at B&H and amazon, as well as KEH. It's worth a look.

Whatever you decide, welcome and enjoy your K-3!
03-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I might suggest picking up a 2 year extended warranty that Pentax offers - its $20 and the best deal around. It even includes a free cleaning.Just keep the card with your receipt - it extends the normal 1 year warranty to 3 years. If you need service, just send copies of the card and your receipt to Pentax/CRIS in Phoenix and they repair or replace.

Thanks for the information on the extended warranty. That is not expensive at all to give you an extra two years on the camera body.

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 09:50 PM ----------

I will probably get this first at the end of next month and then get the 55-300 mm lens the next month.

03-19-2014, 01:24 AM   #8

Congrats! What other cameras did you have in your long and shortlist? Why did you take the K3 (beside weather sealing)?
03-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
I have a Sigma film camera and a Pentax Optio 40. Time to step up into the digital photography world. LOL
03-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by James Rhodes Quote
I have a Sigma film camera and a Pentax Optio 40. Time to step up into the digital photography world. LOL
You are going to be amazed by the K3 as a first DSLR. Its like driving a Ferrari (BUT priced like a Camry) as your first ever car in life Enjoy!!
03-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions.
03-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Macintosh Sauce Quote
I've decided to purchase the Pentax K-3. The reason is that I live in a relatively dry and dusty place - New Mexico. So, the weather-sealing is going to be very important to me.

B&H Photo Video has a nice bundle of the K-3 body and battery grip here.
About 18-135, you now got a lovely camera, don't pair it with such a mediocre lens. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/254037-my-m...ever-made.html

I live in an equally dusty place, the only time I missed WR when I was in Himalayas. However, for the rest of the time I have felt need for WR.

Get some nice primes, or some nice zooms like 16-50 or 50-135, both are WR. Or Tamron 17-50 or 28-75, anyone will do better justice to your k-3 than those lenses you mentioned.
03-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #13
Forum Member

The k-3 is a fantastic camera - but as others have said here - you won't see many great shots from the standard kit lenses.
And when that's said - I also have some kit lenses, and I've taken many pictures with these - but the real fun started when I got hold of some primes and wide angle zoom. I would really recommend that you also buy the 50 f1.8, it's a sharp and fine lens and an excellent tool when trying out the k-3