Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-25-2014, 02:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Hm, I would be surprised if the D800 was worse than the D700, and the D4s being worse than the D3s. Maybe your k-3 settings aren't optimal?
A colleague of mine uses D800..He loves it and say its VERY good..hmm! I think they are, but i might have to tweak a little more..
First concert i tried K-3, i was like "WTF, is this???" :P

---------- Post added 03-25-14 at 10:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
Keep in mind, that he is talking about Metal concerts. In most cases it is too dark there and the stage lights + smoke machines, make the conditions even more challenging. I will quote my own post in another thread :

yes, that is correct. Metal concerts are really challenging for most cameras. I tested the K-3 at Dixie Chicks and Brad Paisley last week..no problem at all. But different lights. K-3 is a good camera, and sharp! But it has a way to go, to catch up on Nikons 51 point AF system. But i know for a fact that big things will come

03-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
Keep in mind, that he is talking about Metal concerts. In most cases it is too dark there and the stage lights + smoke machines, make the conditions even more challenging. I will quote my own post in another thread :

No I got that, but I'm saying that there are several users like MJSPhoto(sp?) who have used the D800 and k-3 and noted that the k-3 performs equally or better in low light. And there was an event a while back where users were able to shoot a dark environment with a k-3 and some brought their D800s and the D800 users were impressed by the k-3 keeping up - so in equal environment, the k-3 should perform as well as the D800.

That being said, I don't know about the D700 and D3s and was only assuming that the newer gen cameras would do better.
03-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
That being said, I don't know about the D700 and D3s and was only assuming that the newer gen cameras would do better.
D700/D3 is still one of the best low light cameras around. I have sold many cameras, but never my D700's..before now..since i cant use them anymore..haha
03-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
here is an example of the light I'm talking about. This is probably the only shot I can post here as the others are NSFW...sorry guys

As far as AF settings are concerned I use AFBB AF-C, in this instance select mode using either 9 or 27 point. Please bear in mind that this shot is AFTER the flash has fired. The light available for AF is way less than this.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
But i know for a fact that big things will come
Care to share your inside info ????

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by wizofoz; 03-25-2014 at 02:42 PM.
03-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

DA* 16-50 50 mm F2,8 ISO 6400 , The vocalist was well lit, so it was quite easy to focus on him. But the resulting image is too soft and noisy, due to the camera / lens combination.

Sigma 28 mm F 1,8 , F2,8 ISO 6400. I focused on the bass player, yet the singer who is in the background is sharp. That lens + k3 did not perform all that well in the concert environment.
03-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Care to share your inside info ????
I cant..not yet

---------- Post added 03-25-14 at 10:46 PM ----------

In "normal" dark, the K-3 is ok..but with lights constant changing, and a lot of smoke etc..Then K-3 struggle more then Nikon etc..
03-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, I guess concert photography (at least for metal concerts) is not on my agenda anyway...Cant see me getting through a couple of hours of these guys.... (well not without industrial strength hearing protection)

My feeling is that we have yet to fully come to grips with the complexities of the new AF system in the K-3. It would be great if R/P would put out some instructional video's showing the full range of features and uses.

03-26-2014, 05:42 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I find that there is a point where the extended af gets confused in low light, low contrast situations. It jumps around, not fixing on one object. I have user modes to switch quickly to single point focus, which works very well in low light.
03-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I find that there is a point where the extended af gets confused in low light, low contrast situations. It jumps around, not fixing on one object. I have user modes to switch quickly to single point focus, which works very well in low light.
I always use single point focus
03-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I always use single point focus
Same here. I either select it manually or use the centre point.