Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Purple and Green Photos

I have been using my K3 and loving it.. But today I was shooting pictures and they were all purple or green or over exposed no mater what settings I used.. I looked at the WB but all was normal.. I tried removing the battery but nothing worked until I went through the menu and put everything to Default.. which I am pretty sure was actually as I already had it set.. Any ideas on what might have happened? I sure don't want to have it happen again.
I could post a sample photo showing the problem.. but it was not consistent other than all were bad.. mostly it was a green hue but also some were purple..
Many thanks for an opinion... BOB

03-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sample photo?

I think the skin tones are off a bit, maybe a tad overexposed, but otherwise it looks OK.
03-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pelham Quote
Many thanks for an opinio
How were you holding the camera or was it on a strap? My K-7 used to hit my belt buckle and the metal loop would cycle through the color spaces when it bumped. I found that out the third time I came back from shooting and the images' colors changed periodically. So my guess is that maybe something in how you carried it accidentally switched back and forth from normal color to cross process.
03-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sounds like a digital filter set to random.

03-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
maybe a tad overexposed, but otherwise it looks OK.
Sometimes excess exposure is a good thing

Ok...back to the OPs post. Racer's image (above) was made with a K-5. I re-ran the sample photo magic and was unable to find any overwhelming tendency to purple or green. Can you provide a few examples from your shooting? Make sure that the EXIF is intact.

Steve
03-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

But today I was shooting pictures and they were all purple or green or over exposed
There seem to be at least two issues here: colour, and exposure, so it's not just WB.

What was the lighting? If it was LED lighting, there's your problem.

And were you shooting JPG or DNG? How were you processing the images? If you were using (for example) Capture One to process your DNG's, that could also cause your problems, since C1 currently goes green and purple crazy when rendering K-3 DNG's.
03-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There seem to be at least two issues here: colour, and exposure, so it's not just WB.

And were you shooting JPG or DNG? How were you processing the images? If you were using (for example) Capture One to process your DNG's, that could also cause your problems, since C1 currently goes green and purple crazy when rendering K-3 DNG's.
Yes. Oversaturated sections in some software ends up being odd colors.

03-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
...or if he was taking photos under fluorescent lighting with shutter speeds above 1/60th
03-27-2014, 05:08 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
How were you holding the camera or was it on a strap? My K-7 used to hit my belt buckle and the metal loop would cycle through the color spaces when it bumped. I found that out the third time I came back from shooting and the images' colors changed periodically. So my guess is that maybe something in how you carried it accidentally switched back and forth from normal color to cross process.
I was holding the camera by the Pentax strap around my neck.. thus it is possible something got "bumped" giving me some weird settings.. I was outside in bright sun using ISO's from 200 to 800 using my 100mm Pentax macro lens..
I appreciate all the suggestions.. clearly some setting got way off as re-setting to default did cure it.. Just hope it doesn't happen again..
Looks like being careful not to bump buttons is a wise observation...
Many thanks.. BOB
03-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ok...back to the OPs post. Racer's image (above) was made with a K-5.
Well, it wasn't my image. The OP's post had the words "sample photo" in it, and the forum software created a link to the sample photo section of the forum. I kinda made my post as a wise acre, and do indeed hope it raised a grin or three.

I was holding the camera by the Pentax strap around my neck.. thus it is possible something got "bumped" giving me some weird settings.. I was outside in bright sun using ISO's from 200 to 800 using my 100mm Pentax macro lens..
I appreciate all the suggestions.. clearly some setting got way off as re-setting to default did cure it.. Just hope it doesn't happen again..
Looks like being careful not to bump buttons is a wise observation...
Many thanks.. BOB
It is good that you are back on track and making good pictures again, but it would be nice to know what was causing the issues.