Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A DPR K-3 Review Leak?

It looks like DPR is trying to stifle the K-3 review boondoggle by releasing some new material, under the 'First Impressions' tag. At least this page seems new to me; Pentax K-3 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review
Feel free to correct me if that's wrong. I'd about given up checking anyway.
And if it is new, Richard Butler has tipped their hand. First photo, caption and text, grumbling about the meter's performance compared to the mirrorless he's been using. The last line reluctantly admits the K-3 is at least as good as other DSLR's in that area, however.
So, Start with what it can't do well (compared to an entirely different format), to catch the eye (twice), something I hardly believe has ever been used to open a CaNikony 'Shooter's Experience', grudging acceptance that it does stack up with direct competitors anyway (an afterthought, but what do you expect?) and then a bunch of niggling complaints because he doesn't know the system, press the wrong buttons and misses shots. Perhaps this should have been posted on the 'Beginners' forum? Oh, wait, that's actually a compliment! Because it means Pentax now has more, tricky features. Oh, OK.
If this is a leak, aim in the other direction, I'll be leaving now.
Ron

03-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This was part of the October '13 First Impressions review.
03-27-2014, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
This was part of the October '13 First Impressions review.
Really? They added 6 pages recently, I thought this one was new too...
03-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh , I just navigated via the link to page 1 and saw the title and date. Maybe they are embellishing it?

03-27-2014, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Oh , I just navigated via the link to page 1 and saw the title and date. Maybe they are embellishing it?
I think so. The exif for the cityscape photo indicates it was taken in early March of this year. (I went back for the exact date, but now the image will not load.) There is also mention of actually using the FluCard.

Steve
03-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Look at the announcement under March 25; they added eight pages: Digital Photography Review: Digital Photography Review

DPR has fallen behind in Pentax DSLR reviews the last couple of years. But they still give fair - and favorable - reviews, I believe. But they can't seem to bring themselves to do a less thorough review (a characteristic I can identify with), so when the improvements are less spectacular or obvious, the reviews go on the back burner. But to a Pentaxian the improvements can be significant. However, it's hard to compete for news space with the spectacular, schizophrenic moves other manufacturers are making, especially Sony. They're coming out with new mounts and all kinds of things. It makes it harder for the customer, but it's interesting news.

I think Pentax will get much faster review coverage when they come out with a full-frame, because it's such a big change. Personally, I think DPR should prioritize the new 645D and then the FF, whenever we see it.
03-27-2014, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Good luck. We're still waiting for the 645D review. You know, the one from four or five years ago.

03-27-2014, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
JPT
Pentaxian

Reading those review pages, the impression I got was that the reviewer was overwhelmingly positive about the K-3. I'm pretty sure the "begrudging" thing is in your head. I always find DPR's coverage of Pentax stuff fair when it finally arrives. When they have an opinion that's different from mine, at least they explain it clearly.

Another thought that occurs to me is that the piecemeal publishing of Pentax reviews (same with the K-30) gets the cameras on the front page more times, so it might be to Pentax's benefit. What makes Pentax (or rather Pentaxians) look bad is the desperate rebuttals of any criticism and spamming of other camera reviews that has been going on over the last few months.
03-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, JPT, that's quite a view from the other side of the Kool-Aid stand.

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Reading those review pages, the impression I got was that the reviewer was overwhelmingly positive about the K-3. I'm pretty sure the "begrudging" thing is in your head.
Lead photo, first impression, set it up.
Improperly exposed to the point of 'Huh?'. How do you get that initial bad impression out of the reader's mind? You don't. You put it there.
Oh, by the way (last sentence in paragraph) it's no worse than CaNikony anyway. What's the opposite of fair play or level playing field?

Another thought that occurs to me is that the piecemeal publishing of Pentax reviews (same with the K-30) gets the cameras on the front page more times, so it might be to Pentax's benefit
More times? Once since October. Staggering! Drink up. That less-than-lovely D(o)f has been a front page standby since October. With a full review, shortly after.

What makes Pentax (or rather Pentaxians) look bad is the desperate rebuttals of any criticism and spamming of other camera reviews that has been going on over the last few months
Sometimes called reality check or telling an unpopular truth. Kinda' like now.
But, you're clearly happy with DPR's representation, handling, timing, quality and fairness of their Pentax evaluations.
And good luck with that.
Ron
03-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Reading those review pages, the impression I got was that the reviewer was overwhelmingly positive about the K-3. I'm pretty sure the "begrudging" thing is in your head. I always find DPR's coverage of Pentax stuff fair when it finally arrives. When they have an opinion that's different from mine, at least they explain it clearly.

Another thought that occurs to me is that the piecemeal publishing of Pentax reviews (same with the K-30) gets the cameras on the front page more times, so it might be to Pentax's benefit. What makes Pentax (or rather Pentaxians) look bad is the desperate rebuttals of any criticism and spamming of other camera reviews that has been going on over the last few months.
Unfortunately, I think you're wrong about one thing. This 'spamming of other camera reviews' has been going on for a lot more than a few months. It's almost embarrassing at times - someone like Fujifilm comes up with a new model that really advances their system, and some people can only complain that DPR is slighting Pentax by elevating another brand. It doesn't work that way - whatever's good should be praised. In fact, it's Canon and Nikon that have been (to a large degree) devoid of innovation lately. DPR is praising the companies that do innovate, as well they should. Not only is this appropriate, but it's good for everybody (the whole industry).

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Sometimes called reality check or telling an unpopular truth. Kinda' like now.
But, you're clearly happy with DPR's representation, handling, timing, quality and fairness of their Pentax evaluations.
And good luck with that.
Ron
On the contrary - because of the number of negative posts it appears to be a popular opinion, not an unpopular truth. That's his whole point.

It's like Othello and Desdemona - the problem was in his head. DPR is a friend of Pentaxians.
03-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I'll have to check my 15 limited - but I'm pretty sure mine doesn't produce smudgy looking photos like the icy lake shot.
03-28-2014, 12:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
More Kool-Aid?

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
It doesn't work that way - whatever's good should be praised
I agree. Where does that leave the full K-3 review, compared to, say, the Nikon Df full review, which came out less than a month after introduction? Or anything since? I guess, by your reasoning, they all presented better value, quality, innovation, they were more 'good'. Sounds reasonable, doesn't it?

DPR is praising the companies that do innovate, as well they
Well, that explains it completely. The K-3 just wasn't (isn't) innovative enough. Especially compared to the Nikon D610 or Df. Now, there's some breakthroughs.

because of the number of negative posts it appears to be a popular opinion, not an unpopular truth
Pentaxian opinions will always be as welcome at DPR as Pentaxians themselves have been, and always will be. And as popular. That's what I meant.

I find it hard to believe anyone can, in good conscience and fully aware of the facts, defend DPR in this matter. It must be the water they use.
Ron
03-28-2014, 01:47 AM   #13
JPT
Pentaxian

Err . . . What's Kool-aid? Or do I not want to know?
03-28-2014, 02:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Somewhere i read on dpreview that in trying to get the K3 review out, they are releasing pages as they are written. The interesting thing is that as they are releasing the review, the click rating shows the K3 has climbed into 2nd place in the popular poll, if i recall correctly.

Love my K3!!! And don't knock Sony, they made two of my Nex cameras :-)
03-28-2014, 02:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Taking DPR's obvious and usual bias into concideration, this review is actually quite positive about a Pentax product for once. Even though they don't even try to hide their obvious reluctance. The K-3 is way better then they are revealing in that link.

There should be a website that reviews review-websites.