Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unexplicable switch from RAW to Small JPEG recording

I have just returned from a trip out with my K3. I have been shooting panoramas in the West Highlands of Scotland. I have just transferred the images to my computer and find that the first five shots (bracketed) are DNG RAW. One recorded at 18.55, the next at 14.57. This was part of the same autobracketing set. So there's something odd going on there. From the fifth image on all the shots are recorded as JPEG S ***. This was in the same minute (14.58) as the last DNG RAW file. I did not alter any settings between these shots, I only rotated the panoramic head. I had a similar episode before but put it down to incorrectly instructing the O-FC1 dual card set up. But again I thought I'd done it correctly. But this time I didn't even have the O-FC! in the camera.

This extremely frustrating as I have now got only low resolution shots of some extremely fine landscape photography conditions.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences. I emphasise that I am 100% sure that I did not accidentally change these settings as I did not go into the menu between the recorded DNGs and the subsequent initiation of JPEG S *** recording

04-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Unregistered User

Scary scenario. Do you have your Fx-button set to change to and from RAW? If so maybe that can be a culprit.
04-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Scary scenario. Do you have your Fx-button set to change to and from RAW? If so maybe that can be a culprit.

Good question, but no I don't shoot jpeg at all, therefore I have no need of the jpeg to raw setting on the fx button. Also I can absolutely, categorically, and unswervingly guarantee that I pressed no button (other than the remote release) between the last DNG and t first Jpeg S *** captures.
04-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by unkipunki Quote
Good question, but no I don't shoot jpeg at all, therefore I have no need of the jpeg to raw setting on the fx button. Also I can absolutely, categorically, and unswervingly guarantee that I pressed no button (other than the remote release) between the last DNG and t first Jpeg S *** captures.
What is the camera set to now? In other words, did it reset to JPEG of did it stay in RAW but record in JPEG?

04-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
What is the camera set to now? In other words, did it reset to JPEG of did it stay in RAW but record in JPEG?

It stayed in Jpeg S ***, but I didn't notice that until I got home. I've now reset to RAW DNG, which was how it was set when I began my various panoramic shooting. Didn't think to check that it as still RAW DNG during the multiple shoots (really why should I have to?) as it was not something I was altering during the whole day. Still getting some half reasonable output form the JPEG S *** shots when combined to larger panoramic shots, but not the ultimate quality I was aiming for.

04-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do yourself a favour and make up one or more USER modes for your favourite shooting modes. Then when you have the K-3 on the tripod, set it to the USER mode of choice. If already in the USER mode you want, get in the habit of turning the camera off and on before starting a shooting run. This ensures that all your saved settings in the USER mode will be used. It does happen to me that settings change when I inadvertently push some button by mistake or the camera rubs against something and things go awry, even when I am sure I have not pushed any buttons at all.

Jack
04-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Do yourself a favour and make up one or more USER modes for your favourite shooting modes. Then when you have the K-3 on the tripod, set it to the USER mode of choice. If already in the USER mode you want, get in the habit of turning the camera off and on before starting a shooting run. This ensures that all your saved settings in the USER mode will be used. It does happen to me that settings change when I inadvertently push some button by mistake or the camera rubs against something and things go awry, even when I am sure I have not pushed any buttons at all.

Jack

Thanks Jack. I have a landscape user mode setting, but I went manual for these shots to try and keep the AE locked as I find that it resets on me after a few shots, but less so in M mode. Actually that's a new thread 'How to keep AE-L from resting whilst taking multiple exposures' it just seems to quit after 5 or 6 shots. There's an upside to the problem I have had, the files are smaller and stop my PC form going into melt down doing HDR panoramas. But I'd still rather have the detail and malleability of full scale RAW files. Although a user mode might have prevented this occurring. I still cannot see how it reset to JPEG S *** whilst simply rotating the panoramic tripod head. That's not a button on the camera.

04-08-2014, 03:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have seen the same behavior on my K5. Not on the K3, yet... It has only happened a few times in the past few years, but certainly dis-heartening.

I can go through my set of images and see that the file type changes from RAW to JPG back to RAW. Sometimes it just switches to JPG and stays there.
The Fn button is set to display the level (I miss that ability on the K3), so there is no direct button that would/should perform such a switch.

Because I often use EyeFi, my jpg is set to 2MB med quality. I've had most of a day essentially lost because of the surprise with-over.

I am really sad to hear the K3 might have the same issue.