Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't shoot Pentax because I want to be different. I shoot it because I think it has good value and I like the glass I have and don't want to start over.
Yep... You & me both. I had the opportunity to play with a newer higher-up Nikon model a few months back, and the AF was impressively fast. That was the big difference over my faithful old Pentax K-x as far as real-world shooting differences are concerned. On the other hand, out of the 10 DSLR lenses I own, only three are AF, so it's really not a big deal for me. And I like the unparalleled backwards compatibility of Pentax, so it's the one for me.

04-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Yep... You & me both. I had the opportunity to play with a newer higher-up Nikon model a few months back, and the AF was impressively fast. That was the big difference over my faithful old Pentax K-x as far as real-world shooting differences are concerned. On the other hand, out of the 10 DSLR lenses I own, only three are AF, so it's really not a big deal for me. And I like the unparalleled backwards compatibility of Pentax, so it's the one for me.
Similar situation for me, although I have only a few MF lenses. If the AF of a Pentax is only 80% as good as a NIkon that's good enough for me on everything except the telephotos... at which point I'd be shooting Nikon anyway.
04-15-2014, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
When all is said and done, it may be that the reviewers are biased against Pentax. But can you say with certainty that you are not biased towards Pentax?
No, starbase, I would never say that, I'm probably as loyal to Pentax as anyone, and biased, too.
But I'm not running or professionally writing for, the largest photo-enthusiast forum around, either. My decisions, motivations, loyalties and biased opinions aren't changing anyone's mind, here or anywhere.
DPR has power and they're abusing it. If that's not illegal, it should be.
This whole fiasco begs the question; How do D7100 and EOS 70D owners feel about being kicked to the curb by Pentax, with DPR's blessing?
Being told their flagship cameras aren't good enough for the 'pro' market, but the K-3 is, according to the brain trust at you-know-where?
Ron
04-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #94
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
This whole fiasco begs the question; How do D7100 and EOS 70D owners feel about being kicked to the curb by Pentax, with DPR's blessing?
I can fairly confidently state that they probably don't know and don't care.

Steve

04-16-2014, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

Just looking through the Similar Threads at the bottom..

Sony A7r 82%, Sony A7 - 80%, Sony A99- 84%, 5D Canon Mk III-82%, Nikon D800- 82%

I'm having a bit of a problem understanding what these numbers might mean.. if anything. When you are supposedly using a scale that goes from 0-100 and your entire range on 5 different cameras is between 80 and 85, you are essentially using only 5% of your scale. That's pretty much meaningless. The K-5 would be much higher if it wasn't marked down for it's video capability. So if you don't do video, it's really good....
04-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When you are supposedly using a scale that goes from 0-100 and your entire range on 5 different cameras is between 80 and 85, you are essentially using only 5% of your scale. That's pretty much meaningless.....
Reminds me of the PF lens review database where pretty much all pentax lenses are 8.5 and higher....and most are 9.0 and higher.
04-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Yup. DxOMark's open scale is actually much more flexible. The K-5 is still a great camera, but in five years the score won't have changed, and the camera probably will still be listed as competitive with new offerings.

04-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Reminds me of the PF lens review database where pretty much all pentax lenses are 8.5 and higher....and most are 9.0 and higher.
Yes, but at least the PF lens database goes out to 2 significant figures.
04-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Yes, but at least the PF lens database goes out to 2 significant figures.
LOL...true.
I would love to know the difference between 9.52 Bokeh and 9.55 Bokeh.
04-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
LOL...true.
I would love to know the difference between 9.52 Bokeh and 9.55 Bokeh.

One is 0.03 better. Duh... :-)
04-16-2014, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PF database is a matter of context.

In my entire life I have owned few non-Pentax lenses - such as Vivtar Series1 105/2.5 Macro and some of the Adaptall-2 Cult Classics. In my experience, if I rate my best lens a 9.8 (nothing is a 10) then all my lenses are rated relative to that. Compared to the universe of lenses my best lens might be a '2' but how would I know that?

So how do I effectively rate Super Takumar 35/3.5 versus K35/3.5 versus FA35/2 relative to my best lens, to each oher and to the universe of available 35's? I have not a clue, so I haven't done lens ratings. But the problem with the PF database is the same as the DPR rating of the K3 - it isn't the text that is offensive. Often the lens rating text is quite accurate and helpful.

It's the assigned numeric value that is arbitrary and subjective.
04-16-2014, 11:01 AM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Obviously there is a matter of scale. A failing grade is below a 70, a passing above, meaning that for most cameras/lenses the grade should be in the 70 to 100 range -- there just aren't that many dogs now. When I am grading lenses I tend to place them in the 7 to 10 range for that reason.

There is a really tendency for non-professional reviewers to get a little over-excited about their new gear and grade it higher, accordingly.
04-16-2014, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

Fuji X-T1 is a Semi-professional ILC as well

Interesting, at DPReview the Fuji X-T1 is now classified as a "semi-professional interchangeable lens camera", just like the K-3.

That makes the scores comparable.

The X-T1 is said to have better metering and focus accuracy. Seems hard to believe.

It is also said to have better "low-light / high ISO performance". I wonder whether this will be revised, once DxO has shown how the Fuji X-T1 is lying about its ISO values (it will, if it is anything like its predecessors).

The X-T1's one electronic viewfinder / screen is rated better than the 100% optical viewfinder of the K-3. Interesting.

And the X-T1 is said to have better performance as well. The K-3 has a higher frame rate (8.9 vs 8.2) and a deeper buffer (68 JPGs vs 40 JPGs OR 23 RAWs vs 23 RAWs). The K-3 manages 720 shots per charge vs 350 of the X-T1. The X-T1 must have a hell of an AF to compensate all these performance figures to still come out as a winner!
04-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ I understand you are subtly sarcastic - but did you expect something different from DPR?
04-16-2014, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Interesting, at DPReview the Fuji X-T1 is now classified as a "semi-professional interchangeable lens camera", just like the K-3.

That makes the scores comparable.

The X-T1 is said to have better metering and focus accuracy. Seems hard to believe.

It is also said to have better "low-light / high ISO performance". I wonder whether this will be revised, once DxO has shown how the Fuji X-T1 is lying about its ISO values (it will, if it is anything like its predecessors).

The X-T1's one electronic viewfinder / screen is rated better than the 100% optical viewfinder of the K-3. Interesting.

And the X-T1 is said to have better performance as well. The K-3 has a higher frame rate (8.9 vs 8.2) and a deeper buffer (68 JPGs vs 40 JPGs OR 23 RAWs vs 23 RAWs). The K-3 manages 720 shots per charge vs 350 of the X-T1. The X-T1 must have a hell of an AF to compensate all these performance figures to still come out as a winner!
Will DXO Mark actually test the X-T1? I didn't think they tested Fuji cameras due to the lack of a Bayer array.