Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
@fgaudet It is curious that the issue is backfocusing instead of frontfocusing. Still, from what I've heard, people with a K-5 II experience more reliable focusing, e.g. they don't have to use (the same amount of) focus adjustment.

Also, without more context, it's difficult to say why the person you bought the K-5 from had problems with the AF. It may be that in the way he used the camera, the AF didn't meet his expectations.

04-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
@fgaudet It is curious that the issue is backfocusing instead of frontfocusing. Still, from what I've heard, people with a K-5 II experience more reliable focusing, e.g. they don't have to use (the same amount of) focus adjustment.

Also, without more context, it's difficult to say why the person you bought the K-5 from had problems with the AF. It may be that in the way he used the camera, the AF didn't meet his expectations.
You are right about the K5ii, I tried it in store and I was surprised by the difference. And this also applies to the K-3. For the few hours I had one (ISO noise issues, still waiting on the replacement) I was very impressed with both focusing speed and precision compared to my K-5, a very welcome step forward for Pentax.

And the K-5 seller... he got a t3i to replace the K-5. The camera had less than 100 shutter counts when I got it (96 if I remember right). He probably didn't even bother learning it and gave up to go with the oh-so-much better Canon.
04-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have had heaps of problems at this venue - there once a month. It does seem worse at this venue, where the lighting is very mixed. The thing is, I am able to repeat the problem, methodically.
It's not like I'm going home with a bunch of shots I think are in focus, but I stuffed up somehow. The person I am photographing totally fills the foreground of the shot and I use centre point focus and AF-S. I can actually see through the viewfinder while I'm trying to shoot that the camera confirms it's focused on the centre point, but it's completely wrong.
Outdoors, the same lens and camera is accurate to the millimetre!
04-14-2014, 12:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Umm... Yes, the specification is measured with an 1.4 lens, but the AF module still works down to -3 EV measured in camera (In my case, ISO 51 200 at f/5.6 at 2 seconds). The actual light level is of course higher in my case.
Which means the AF is even more damn impressive if you mount an 1.4 lens .
The biggest thing that -3ev does for me isn't the max low light but when I'm shoooting AF-c in ev 4to7 the AF hasn't slowed down yet and it behaves as my k5 di in EV 7to9.

When shooting moving subjects indoors this is a revelation, and also impresses My 1d/d3 totting buddies where their cameras leave my k3 for dead outside but once in the arena the k3 closes the gap by an astounding amount.

When the light gets really low (ev 4-5) the k3 actually comes ahead in AF-c especially with slower glass (I tend to use a 400 f5.6)