Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rutster Quote
Dan,

I have it set very basic to start, relying on how i have been shooting with the K20D (center point AF, AF-C/AF-S, Shake reduction on).
I sometimes used AF-S for action with the K20D, but I would never do that with the K-3. I use Center point AF, but for proper tracking you need Expandable AF point. I use center point, 27-point expandable for BIF, but for vehicles I would stay with 9-point. Focus priority in both menu lines. I set AF Hold according to conditions (how likely that something will come between you and the target). My tests indicate sharper photos when panning with SR off, on the K20D and the K-3.

You're not raving about the K-3's tracking performance, which makes me think you could still use some fine tuning.

04-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #17

Original Poster
I ended up shooting most the night on AF-C with the 9-point zone. I'll have to try it with SR on and OFF this week. The lighting at the track is far from good, so i don't think any of the other cameras would do any better. Depending on where i was standing in the track i had a chance to work the different types of tracking. side to side tracking (it did good) / tracking coming at the camera or away from (did ok) / and tracking with both side to side and coming at me (did ok)

The AF was doing great when the sun was still out, but when it got dark it would not update as fast. Sometimes it wouldn't even adjust even though the car was coming at me and i know the focus point was changing. I switch to using back button focusing so i could hold that down and not worry about the 1/2 press of the shutter button to update focus.

I'll be trying out different things this week..

I don't think it's a flaw of the camera, i think it's just too much for the AF system