Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #1

Custom Image Modification post .jpg

Loving my K3 but took a bunch of .jpg photos with bleach bypass selected without realizing it. This probably serves me right for not shooting raw but I was wondering whether there's anyway to modify the preset selection on the .jpgs that have already been taken.... either in the camera (card with those photos are still in the cam) or with Silkypix?

04-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope...

You may be able to modify the look somewhat, but probably not to the point where it looks "normal".

BTW, Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
04-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
If there is no way to modify the custom image selection post photo, any advice on post processing a bleach bypass .jpg to look more natural would be appreciated.

---------- Post added 04-24-14 at 08:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nope...

You may be able to modify the look somewhat, but probably not to the point where it looks "normal".

BTW, Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
... and btw, glad to be here! Wish I found this site in 1980 when I bought my meSuper!!!!! oh yeah, we didn't have computers back then, lol !!!
04-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
probably you could do something with hues, but it's a long shot. The actual color information is just not there anymore. OTOH, you can go B/W, adjust contrast and brightness and claim yourself to be on the artsy side

04-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by meSuper2 Quote
Loving my K3 but took a bunch of .jpg photos with bleach bypass selected without realizing it. This probably serves me right for not shooting raw but I was wondering whether there's anyway to modify the preset selection on the .jpgs that have already been taken.... either in the camera (card with those photos are still in the cam) or with Silkypix?
Unfortenatley jpeg is the finnished product, any data not needed has been thrown away so cannot be recovered.

But you can insert duff data to try and reproduce a workable image.

You need a program that has no sneered at jpg editing so forget lightroom/ photo shop / Rawtherappee.

and look to the like of paint shop pro or aftershot( bibble) bpot I believe owned by correl now, or Gimp has some tricks tha tmay help.

How to Edit a JPG File in GIMP: 4 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

hope this helps
04-25-2014, 02:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suggest you try to load the shot into the software that came with the camera, the Pentax DCU (silkypix) program.
I don't know about the K-3 bundled version, but the previous version that came with my K-5 knows about all the
custom image settings and is able to unfold an applied custom image from a jpeg picture and apply another one.
In short, DCU will attempt to reverse-apply a custom image setting.

That process is not perfect of course, and the bleach bypass setting is a very extreme one that is tough to "unfold".
so don't get your hopes up too high.

Regards,
--Anders.

---------- Post added 25th Apr 2014 at 11:40 ----------

Loving my K3 but took a bunch of .jpg photos with bleach bypass selected without realizing it. This probably serves me right for not shooting raw
No, it serves you right for not being aware of your jpeg settings.

RAW is not the only solution to your problem. Common discipline will also work. When you turn on your camera, check your white balance, custom image setting and shadow protection before you shoot the first shot.

Regards,
--Anders.
04-25-2014, 02:47 AM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B&W has solved a few issues for me on occasions. I use remote cameras for wildlife monitoring and occasionally one will fire its IR flash in daylight. The image looks awful (all red tones) but in B&W it becomes a useful image. Your jpeg has lost essential colour info, but not the tonal quality.

04-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
Anders, thanks for the response. I will try DCU and post what I find. With all due respect, the k3 is brand new. If I had I been using the camera for a while I don't think I would have had the issue. What concerns me is that I did not intentionally set the custom image to bleach bypass and many of these settings are not immediately obvious in the lcd playback. I usually always shoot raw and checking settings which I hadn't actually used was never an issue for me with the k20d. I know there's a learning curve but inadvertent setting changes from default is a problem with the camera as far as I'm concerned. I also note that the bleach bypass setting is very close to the "bright" default setting. The icon for all of these settings in the lcd is definitely not obvious and there's no indication for this setting in the viewfinder. Finally, the setting changes by simply pressing and holding the right toggle button without having to select "ok." I think that is what happened to me. Bottom line, in my opinion this is a design issue which needs to be addressed by firmware!!!!!
04-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I know there's a learning curve but inadvertent setting changes from default is a problem with the camera as far as I'm concerned. I also note that the bleach bypass setting is very close to the "bright" default setting. The icon for all of these settings in the lcd is definitely not obvious and there's no indication for this setting in the viewfinder. Finally, the setting changes by simply pressing and holding the right toggle button without having to select "ok." I think that is what happened to me. Bottom line, in my opinion this is a design issue which needs to be addressed by firmware!!!!!
I think you are correct in assigning the blame to three random button clicks on the four-way controller, probably followed by a half-press of the shutter release or something similar. The problem here is that the camera provides multiple mechanisms for setting approval. I agree that a more closely gated affirmative action (say, the "OK" button) would be in order. The same could have happened with drive mode or some other setting. You might want to contact Pentax customer support with the suggestion.

I have to admit to not having much experience with the JPEG modes. I am almost exclusively a RAW shooter and my older camera (I have only had my K-3 a few days) requires some menu digging to access other than the default processing. One thing that puzzles me is how it is that you did not notice earlier that something was up. I usually can't resist "chimping" the rear LCD. Anyway, good luck with undoing the damage.

You might want to consider shooting RAW or RAW+JPEG as a fail-safe alternative to JPEG.

Steve
04-26-2014, 04:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

. I know there's a learning curve but inadvertent setting changes from default is a problem with the camera as far as I'm concerned. Bottom line, in my opinion this is a design issue which needs to be addressed by firmware!!!!!
The camera is an 'expert' class camera it is designed to be fast in operatioin it is not likley to nanny you with repeated quetioning your decisions.

The camera cannot be inadvertantly changed from 'Default' only the user can change the default.

If you put the camera in 'green' mode it wont allow you to screw up the profiles and as the mode select has a handy lock it even stops you moving it out of green mode.

Bottom line the camera did exactly what you told it todo, There is no FW that can rectify your choices.
04-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
The camera is an 'expert' class camera it is designed to be fast in operatioin it is not likley to nanny you with repeated quetioning your decisions.

The camera cannot be inadvertantly changed from 'Default' only the user can change the default.

If you put the camera in 'green' mode it wont allow you to screw up the profiles and as the mode select has a handy lock it even stops you moving it out of green mode.

Bottom line the camera did exactly what you told it todo, There is no FW that can rectify your choices.
"Expert's" don't use .jpg custom image functions....

My point was that the buttons were simply susceptible to activating without the intent to do so... that's poor ergonomic design. I shouldn't have to learn to avoid changing settings unintentionally. Don't get me wrong, while still new, I love the camera. I've been shooting Pentax for 35 years. This is my fourth digital camera and I've never had a problem like that with *ist, k10d, or k20d before. I was simply experimenting with some .jpg's and that's what ended up happening. I've already switched the cam back to raw and that's where it will stay!
04-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My point was that the buttons were simply susceptible to activating without the intent to do so... that's poor ergonomic design. I shouldn't have to learn to avoid changing settings unintentionally.
I tend to agree with you although I have not had your problem (yet). Last night, I played around with the feature quite a bit and the more I fiddled, the more puzzled I became.

Why, by all that is good, did this feature (JPEG color mix pre-sets) end up as top-level functionality?

I can think of a few other things that would make more sense as the action for that button for an "expert"-level camera. Perhaps it has something to do with video. I don't know. It is dumb, in my opinion.

Steve
04-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

But surely that's true for all quick access functions from the 4 way controller

In 'setting mode' a few random presses will screw up WB, drive-mode and flash whether your shooting raw or jpg

In AF select mode a few random presses will move the AF main point all over the shop.

It's difficult to see how anything could be done without making the interface to unwieldy to use

As to why profiles is on the right press I would imagine is because enough photographers shoot jpg to make it worth while
04-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
It's difficult to see how anything could be done without making the interface to unwieldy to use
How about providing a custom setting option to require "OK" for confirmation of changes from the 4-way controller? In other words, allow a strict interpretation of the on-screen option to confirm. The current system inserts an element of peril for settings that might not be obvious in the viewfinder or the top LCD display. (I routinely have the rear display set to "off".)

But then again, what do I know. UI design and UX are not my primary expertise, though they are on my resume'.

The main issue here is that a misplaced heel-of-thumb (I have a big hand) when doing a one-hand carry may take the camera settings on an interesting random walk with the last step to be confirmed when one brings the camera to eye and presses the shutter release. Now perhaps the problem is that my heel-of-thumb is not expert enough to assist in holding the camera and the solution is the removal of same. I don't think so.

Steve

---------- Post added 04-26-14 at 12:37 PM ----------

Perhaps the OP and I are both overreacting a bit here since he is coming from a K20D and I am coming from a K10D. On both of those cameras, making a significant change to the capture behavior requires a multi-button sequence. The interface on both those older bodies is fairly user "safe".

Steve
04-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe the new 645Z has a lockout button which when activated prevents any changes to camera settings. This is the ultimate solution.

Jack