Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
need some help

Hi there
I have had k3 at the early of Jan .I like the k 3. I try to find my best sittings to master it. I dont know untill now why I some times get sharp pictures and the most time gets blurry pics. another issue I always gain a sharpen on one eye and the other is oof.I am sure it is me not the camera so I ask here may be getting some help to achieve my skills.
my main photography is faces. my main issue is blurry eyes.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by zmohie; 04-28-2014 at 12:23 PM.
04-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Forum Member

Not enough info ... can you post an example and advise lens and shooting conditions i.e. subject moving/stationary, hand-held/tripod, optical stabilisation on/off ?

Many more expert than I around here, but part sharp, part not suggests either depth of field issue (if subject at an angle) or lens to me - do you have multiple lenses doing this ?
04-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Far too many possibilities to speculate. Post an image with EXIF intact and maybe someone can help.

What aperture are you using? What lens? Are you using flash or studio strobes? How fast is your shutter speed? See, many variables and no way to help without more knowledge.
04-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster

---------- Post added 04-28-2014 at 12:29 PM ----------

The picture above is one of many. the nearest eye on focus but still blur.. the other is slightly oof.
I use many lenses and all give me the same result.

04-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Focus is a function of distance. You want both eyes in focus, they both must be the same distance away from the camera. <= Extremely simplified explanation.

Others will, I'm sure, chime in to complicate matters, but essentially this is what you need to be thinking about.
04-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me it looks like a Depth of Field issue. Do you use your lenses with the aperture wide open? Perhaps try the same subject - a flowerpot or something - at numerous apertures to see if this gives better results. It seems the focus is sharpest on the child's hair just forward of the ears. If you're pretty close to your subject, shooting wide open, you're not going to get the entire face in focus.
04-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What was the distance to subject? It could be a depth of focus issue, but you should have had a couple inches of DOF with that lens @ f/2.8 I also note you are using ISO 3200, that is not going to be the best for sharp images and if you use noise reduction software it will also soften the image. DOF calculator is here: Online Depth of Field Calculator

When I have a problem I always go back to basics. Which means remove as many variables as you can. Use a subject that will not move, use very good light so you can get the ISO down to 100, camera on a tripod if possible. If you can get good images doing that, then start adding back in things until you find the problem.

04-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks to all.
04-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

The Exif shows you shot this image at f2.8 where DOF plays a big part here. Also notice the stitches of the knitted jumper are a fair bit sharper than the eyes meaning it either have a case of focus or you pointed the focus points to the wrong area. (easily done)

Don't know the lighting conditions at the time of taking the pic but I hazard a guess ISO 3200 was probably not necessary. With lower ISO you always give yourself a better chance.

Greetings
04-30-2014, 02:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
Hi there
I have had k3 at the early of Jan .I like the k 3. I try to find my best sittings to master it. I dont know untill now why I some times get sharp pictures and the most time gets blurry pics. another issue I always gain a sharpen on one eye and the other is oof.I am sure it is me not the camera so I ask here may be getting some help to achieve my skills.
my main photography is faces. my main issue is blurry eyes.
Thanks in advance
It you

31mm @ f2.8 approx 2 ft?

DoF somewhere around 1.5 inches as you image clearly shows

Subject distance 2 ft

Depth of field
Near limit 1.93 ft
Far limit 2.07 ft
Total 0.14 ft

In front of subject 0.07 ft (48%)
Behind subject 0.07 ft (52%)

Your plane of focus starts somewhere around the V of the jumper as you used spot metering I suspect the lens is forward focusing.