Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
The K-5 used mechanical when in video. No?
I was saying that the K20D was the last Pentax with a mechanical switch for turning SR on and off.

---------- Post added 2014-05-04 at 11:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The problem I have with this type of thread, is the assumption that things could be changed without creating new problems. I find the camera quite functional with a few months of use. But then I'm a guy that would be happy with K-1000 controls on my camera so I guess I just don't have very high standards. If I can make it work, I'll use it.
The K-3 has the slickest controls I can think of. I don't know much about expensive FF bodies, but for my needs, there's no MILC or APS-C DSLR that comes close, and that includes the K-5 II. I can see kludged retro controls like the Fuji XT-1 for slow and studied shooting, but it would be useless for some of my uses. Obviously YMMV, depending on what you like to do with a camera.

---------- Post added 2014-05-04 at 11:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Klingon? Edit: Oh! Not Klingon! French!
LOL! It does sound like Klingon.

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-04-2014 at 08:33 AM.
05-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
AF still sucks on the K-3. Accuracy and speed. AF and metering control is a backwards step. Everything else is better though.
My accuracy has been much improved. Speed is limited by the lens more than anything. Pentax needs faster AF motors and firmware in its lenses.
05-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
2) I miss the lever as well. Never had a need to have free spinning user mode wheel, but then... perhaps people who really use the User Modes do. Still, not a huge issue.

3) Agree. Digital movie SR I will have more problems with Digital movie SR when I purchase a mic. Well, more like if I purchase a mic before we hear more from Pentax about whether or not this is something that can be fixed via firmware...

My only real day-to-day gripe : the new AF-point select button. Dislike it. I would like to see a firmware update that allows more choice (as I said in another thread)

a) disengage that button entirely for AF-selection
b) use the old K7 method (press the OK button to toggle)
c) use the Fx button. This method would be ideal for me as I don't really care for any of the current Fx options and I always shoot RAW or RAW+, so I don't have any use for it as a RAW button. Moving my thumb from the side of the lens barrel to the Fx button is much more natural and allows the rest of the hand to cradle the lens. Besides, it would allow me to keep a very good grip on the camera body along.
05-05-2014, 03:19 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess I haven't really had a whole lot of issues with the K3. However, I do wish that there would a customizable firmware -- aka what Shodan is trying to do with the K30. It seems like a lot of these things, like allowing mechanical SR in video mode, would be pretty easy to implement. But I'm not a programmer, so I don't really know.

05-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I can't agree with you even a little bit. We must have different K-3s.
They may have made two of them. Mine is simply astounding.