Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #1

How to get ISO above 3 200 in green- and rec-mode?

Hello!

First I want to apologize for my spelling and grammar, English is not my native language but I'll try to explain my question as clear as I can.

This is my first post here at Pentax forums. I've been a Pentax user for about six years, using a K200D, but when I a couple of days ago bought a K-3 I got a problem.

According to these Youtube-videos:

and

it's possible to use ISO up to 51 200 when filming. The problem is that I can't find out how to do that. I have tried several settings but the ISO ends at 3 200 in rec-mode. The same with the auto ISO in green mode, the ISO never goes above 3 200. However, in all other modes, semi- and full manual, I can, manually, use ISO from 100 - 51 200 without any problem. TAv mode follows whatever I have I have put in the auto-ISO settings in the menu and can go all the way up to 51 200.

The Auto-ISO setting in the menu (camera symbol / no 2) is set to 100 - 51 200 but it seem that this setting has no effect when using the rec- or green modes, those will still not go above 3 200. The auto-ISO setting in the menu is also accessable in all modes except for green where it's greyed out and it don't seem to be any ISO-setting dedicated to filming.

In short:
When the Auto-ISO setting in the menu is set to 100 - 51 200:

Auto-ISO in green mode goes up to 3 200
Auto-ISO in TAv mode goes up to 51 200.

All semi-manual and full manual modes can use ISO 100-51 200 with the exception of rec-mode that stops at 3 200.

The firmware is 1.03.

So, I guess that I've just mixed something up or misunderstood something, but what? How can I make the iso in the green- and rec-modes go above 3 200?

Thanks in advance.

05-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Unregistered User

The first video is made by "WorldofDSLR" and I have no idea where this guy gets his or hers ideas but pretty much all from that user i BS.
The second video I have no idea but the K-3 stops at ISO3200 when it comes to video.

---------- Post added 05-05-14 at 06:35 PM ----------

When it comes to green mode the camera descides for you and maximum ISO is 3200. Use P -mode if you want full auto but higher ISO
05-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #3

Maybe i´ts recorded with an external recorder.
05-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for answering!

I see, so if the guy behind "WorldofDSLR" are unreliable maybe both those videos are fake. If that's the case I wonder why Ricoh has decided to limit the maximum ISO for filming and the green mode to such a low number. A bit strange I think when the K-3 is able to produce good quality images in higher iso than that. ... But that maybe belong to another discussion.

Yes i know that the green mode is fully automatic, P is by the way a great invention. :-)