Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2014, 05:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K3 vs Sony A7: which one will you buy for the same price?

I am offered K3 & Sony A7, both at the same price. I have read @adam's review here on A7 and IQ is kind of tie.

with K3, I will continue to have AF with my Pentax Lenses but APS-C.

with A7, I get a FF body.

What would you do in such case,which one will you buy? Please note, A7r is not an options, I only have an option between K3 & A7, exactly the same price.

05-10-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've been here for a while ... have you not seen this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/243...es-thread.html

JP
05-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only you can answer which camera to get. Both cameras will have excellent IQ. Choices between brands are a personal decision on ergonomics and strengths of the camera.

Dale
05-10-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The IQ is reportedly quite similar, but the cameras still have many different features. AF type and number of focus points, burst speed, viewfinder, camera size, adaptability of other mounts and many less notable features, which can still be important to you.
Full frame is interesting if you like wide angle photos or already own lenses that project a full frame image circle. The K-3 is WR and has its own strengths, and tele lenses get the "crop sensor" boost. Tell us more about what you would do with the camera, then someone can tell you which of these cameras fits better

You already have a crop sensor camera, so switching to full frame would take some getting used to. You would have to come closer to your subjects and all your lenses would suddenly feel a little different. But since you already have the K-01 and many full-frame manual lenses, the Sony sounds like a good match

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-10-2014 at 06:58 AM.
05-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You already have a crop sensor camera, so switching to full frame would take some getting used to. You would have to come closer to your subjects and all your lenses would suddenly feel a little different. But since you already have the K-01 and many full-frame manual lenses, the Sony sounds like a good match
Thanks, actually I have been using film regularly and NEX-6 with Lens Turbo so I am already used to. Was very sure about A7 till I read that review by adam
05-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends if the question is "Which body for my Pentax FF lenses?" or "Which system overall?".

If you're going for the modern FF experience with Sony FE lenses and all, I wouldn't dissuade you. But if you're looking for a home for your existing Pentax lenses, I would personally get a K-3. Adapting lenses is fun, but using them with full functionality is funner. By the way, I have a buddy with an A7 who only uses adapted lenses and creates great images and loves his setup. So to each their own.
05-10-2014, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Albums
Personally, when I've considered the A7, it always comes down to EVF vs OVF and if I would be happy with an EVF. Other than that, ergonomics (especially with heavier lenses mounted), speed of operation (start up, shut down, and shot to shot times), and of course autofocus, would all be things the K3 does better Imo. These are the main reasons the A7 hasn't tempted me enough to switch systems.

05-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would advise you to try A7 and it's EVF. It is pretty impressive.

The "problem" with A7 is that the "native" lens selection is not very impressive. Not very fast (only have a f1.8 with the 55mm), and they are expensive (well, FF lenses are).
But if you plan to use it with other FF lenses, it is a good choice, IMO.

Personally, I will take the A7, as we all know K3 price, will drop dramatically, while FF camera usually retain their value longer.
05-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #9

The K3 and the A7 are not comparable. If you want to compare then the K3 or K5IIs with the A77ii or the Fujifilm X-T1. The key differences for me are: The K*s are realy "rugged" and the batterygrips take AA cells, what is a huge advantage if you go to the "bush" for weeks (the X-T1 lacks this, unfortunately!!). The A77* does not accept AA cells but does videos in 60p what is very nice. May be in the near future there will be a K3II without mirrorflapping and 60p videorecording; this would be then the best APS-C DSLR ever... If one can afford... of course go for FF
05-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Of course he can compare the two cameras!

In fact seeing as they are about the same (or exactly the same) customers should consider them both even if they have drastically different mechanisms for transferring the pre-capture image to the photographer.

To the OP:

K-3: faster autofocus, better IQ in viewfinder, larger body for better or worse, larger amount of native lenses, some great IQ, some high value
A7: slower autofocus, worse IQ in viewfinder, better information in viewfinder, smaller body for better or worse, compatible with most of the lenses you own via adapters, very high quality native lenses, better final image quality.

What are you trying to do? If it's shoot sports or portraits, I'd go with Nikon. If it's shoot landscapes, I'd go with the A7.
05-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

An important point in this problem is the price of AF lenses for Sony. It's pretty high, and for now, there are not many. Of course, you can use it with manual focus, but, maybe some time you will want-need AF.
05-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yup. The 28-70 is nice and light, but doesn't have much range. IQ is pretty high compared to APS-C but not compared to better FF lenses. The 24-70 seems to be overpriced and under-delivering. The 55 is an awesome, awesome lens, but the same price as the 31, another great normal lens that the OP already owns.
05-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally I'd choose the K-3. Adapted lenses are a pain and not that fast or that fun. I see the A7 as little more than a proof of concept camera in it's current iteration. Sony needs to put in a little more work before it's a really great camera. The K-3 on the other hand is a great camera.
05-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
...I see the A7 as little more than a proof of concept camera in it's current iteration. Sony needs to put in a little more work before it's a really great camera. .
Can you explain please
05-10-2014, 11:36 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Forum Member

Hi,
Currently have the K3, A7, and XT1 after spending two months using the XT1. I will end up with two out of the three because they are so different.

The XT-1 is a phenomenal camera. The design is perhaps the most impressive of any camera in existence today. It is a true photographers tool and every detail was clearly thought out. Most interesting, the XT1 is top of the heep when it comes to being able to balance ISO, Aperture, and shutter speed in a way that results in an image that naturally replicates what your eyes saw in real life. As much as I love the XT-1, it has a few serious flaws (depending on what your priorities are). It is not good for active subjects, the shutter blackout time is long, and most importantly, it has really poor DR on the shadow side. Darks block up very easily relative to other cameras. if your images are of mostly bright subjects its less of a problem. For me, where the darker regions are important, this is a problem. BTW, I don't buy into the whole Fuji jpeg film simulation fanaticism. If I want to be creative, I can do that in post. Its really just a play with contrast and saturation. To be clear, the XT1 has phenomenal image quality, expect for darker areas. DPReview's DR tests confirm my un-scientific visual conclusion. Fuji also cheats with respect ISO ratings, but despite this high ISO performance is quite good. Lens selection is excellent, but some of the older ones are terrible functionally even if the image quality is very good.

The A7 appears to have amazing image quality (I'm still new to it). Its DR, especially in in the shadow area which is important to me, is superior to the XT1. The controls are not as impressive as the XT1, but they are passable. The EVF is actually better than the XT1 imagewise, but not layout or datawise. It is more compact than the XT1 when comparing with Fuji 23mm and the Sony 35mm lenses attached. The A7 is a more responsive shooting experience with a shorter evf blackout time. The biggest flaw of the A7, is the horrible horrible shutter sound.... it is loud as a truck.. Considering that part of moving to mirrorless is to have lighter and more discrete gear, this is a bizarre omission. To be clear, the shutter is much much louder than either the XT1 and the K3. High ISO performance is extremely impressive. Lens selection is far from impressive, but if they have the ones you need it won't matter.

Regarding both the XT1 and A7: As good as the evfs are, they are not great for bright outdoor lighting as they are just too limited in dynamic range.

The K3 is a machine. It is refined, and has perhaps the best functional implementation of any modern dslr. It is fast, responsive, and a pleasure to use outside and for active subjects. Focus accuracy and metering can't match either mirrorless, but this is an issue with all slrs. Its big and heavy relative to the other two, so its not something you are going to take everywhere. Interesting, despite having a mirror box, it is quieter than the other two. While there are lots of pentax lenses, most are the old and noisy screwdriver driven type, which is disappointing. Also, for me, the 35mm FF equivalent focal length is the most important, especially for indoor work. However, Pentax does not have a fast prime to meet this need. Another thing to consider is you are empowered by being able to see the image, as it is to be recorded, when taking the shot and after the fact (in the evf). This is a powerful tool which slrs, including the k3, lack.

Reading this, you might think I am down on the k3. I am not. There is a reality about improvements in mirrorless that make slrs seem like relics. However, there are some things that mirrorless can't do yet. Thus my dilemma is that no one camera meets all my needs. I do not want to compromise on image quality. Therefore, after selling my pentax gear and k5, I have decided that I will supplement a mirrorless with the K3. I haven't decided which mirrorless will stay. Truth be told, at a certain point in the near future, I won't need an slr. Its my hope that Pentax is watching Fuji, Sony, and Olympus, and will respond in kind and with force. I love Pentax and have been shooting Pentax for years, but I won't need a traditional slr for ever.

Last edited by loganross; 05-11-2014 at 09:48 AM.