Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

ISO in video mode

Does anyone know if the ISO setting affects the exposure sensitivity when the camera(K3, K5DIIs, or K5) is in the video mode? Specifically, would a high ISOsetting allow for more exposure under very dark lighting settings? I would like to video the upcoming new meteor shower(from the dust tail of comet 209P Linear) on 5/24/14 and was wondering if ahigh ISO setting would make the camera more sensitive in dimmer lighting conditions.I plan to use my 18/35mm lens on a tripod in 5-minute exposure burst. Since I donot have access to night vision equipment, I am thinking that the highest ISOsetting might be helpful. If anyone has had some experience with video mode onany of these three cameras, please comment.

05-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by coboren3 Quote
Does anyone know if the ISO setting affects the exposure sensitivity when the camera(K3, K5DIIs, or K5) is in the video mode? Specifically, would a high ISOsetting allow for more exposure under very dark lighting settings?
It most definitely does, and it works just like for stills. So a higher ISO in video mode would allow you to use faster shutter speeds at the expense of having more noise.

However, in your case it sounds like a timelapse is what you're after, as you'll get higher resolution images. I'd set the camera to interval shooting and do 5-second exposures at a relatively low ISO like 400-800, or thereabout. A bit of trial-error is always in order to ensure you don't miss the moment when the time comes

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, The meteor shower peak time will be from 2 to 5 am EDT on5/24/14 in the northeast sky. I doubt that the lack of hi res will be a concernsince I'm using my 18-35 mm lens to capture a large area of the sky and meteorstreaks are high contrast against a dark sky back round. I'm hoping to use myK5IIs for stills and my K3 for the video portion.
05-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Note though that in video mode it will only go up to ISO 3200, I'm not quite sure why.

05-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

In August 2012 I was getting good shots with 15 seconds 6400 iso. This was using the kit lens, 18-55 18mm @ f3.5. Longer than 15 seconds would produce elongated stars, lower iso or shutter exposure didn't capture the light trail. K-5.

I doubt that the movie mode would capture anything at all.

I plan on taking my two bodies out, one with an A50 1.4, the other the DA12-24, and setting up for interval mode alternating so the noise reduction black screen process doesn't miss anything. The 50 is really too long, but having it pointed at the north star and cranking out interval shots may get something. I hope to use the wider lens to get a mountain ridge or some landscape feature into the shot.

Assuming I can see the sky. Not really a high probability in the spring around here.