Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
AFAIK, PL is only fully supported on FA- or later lens series. I'm not surprised that A-series lenses behave strange, as they lack the data chip needed for full support in all on all program lines.

05-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
AFAIK, PL is only fully supported on FA- or later lens series. I'm not surprised that A-series lenses behave strange, as they lack the data chip needed for full support in all on all program lines.
If this is the case, it is an undocumented feature* with no apparent rational. After all, the "normal" program is the same for all lenses. I don't know about the intervening models, but the K10D uses the same program lines regardless of mounted lens.

I am willing to go out on a limb here and label this a firmware bug.

Steve

* Undocumented as in not in the user guide. The user guide is explicit in stating that A-contact lenses enjoy full support of all exposure modes. That being said, the assertion is not quite accurate in that the MTF program line only applies to lenses having the data pin. There is also the matter of A-series zooms with variable aperture...

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-22-2014 at 07:53 AM.
05-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Have you tried using P-mode with P-shift, instead of Hyper-P? Being able to to shift the PL might change the behavior.
05-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Have you tried using P-mode with P-shift, instead of Hyper-P? Being able to to shift the PL might change the behavior.
P-shift works as good as Hyper-P (they are essentially the same thing) and allows apertures wider than f/11, though it does not help the default behavior. When shooting in P mode, most of us expect that we should be able to bring the camera to eye and shoot in most reasonable lighting without unexpectedly encountering a shutter speed in excess of 1 second. That is how it works with the AF lenses anyway.

Steve

BTW...did you actually try this before making the suggestion?

05-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I'm away from my Pentax cameras so I can't try anything. But I Have had strange behavior on them from time to time. Usually it's a combination of settings with a specific hardware that creates the behavior.

Sometimes a reset to factory default can help.
05-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is the reply from Ricoh/Pentax support:

"Thank you for contacting RICOH.

Your description is correct. This is how A-series lenses currently work in Program mode with our DSLRs (including the K-7, K-5, K-5 II etc.) Similar behavior will occur in Program Line Shallow (in which case the camera will "lock" on a large aperture). The lenses will operate more in accordance with how FA, DA and D FA lenses follow the selected Program Line when Auto and Normal Program Line is selected.

Product engineering and design decisions themselves come out of our parent company, RICOH Corporation, in Japan. Your suggestion has been submitted to the product developers as a product improvement/enhancement request. RICOH always appreciates hearing from the consumer public regarding the use of RICOH products, or regarding suggestions for new products or improvements in any area. We appreciate you taking your time to express your thoughts."

---------- Post added 05-22-14 at 01:30 PM ----------

I'm away from my Pentax cameras so I can't try anything. But I Have had strange behavior on them from time to time. Usually it's a combination of settings with a specific hardware that creates the behavior.

Sometimes a reset to factory default can help.
It would seem that the workaround is to use Av mode or aperture hyper-P in preference to a different program line if deep DOF is needed and a mix of non-AF glass is in the mix.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-22-2014 at 01:34 PM.