Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Since I live in the Phoenix area, I called the authorized Pentax repair station at C.R.I.S. in Chandler. I told them that I have a K-3 with the mirror flutter problem, and were they aware of it. They said yes. I said I had heard rumors of a firmware fix for the problem. The guy who answered put me on hold for a moment while he checked. He said that it would probably be a firmware fix, but that they have not received any word or firmware, and that they would check with Ricoh/Pentax. I asked him if that firmware would be non-user-installable (base software imbedded), and he answered yes. I gave him my phone number and he assured me he would call me when and if they get a fix from Pentax. So I'll wait for the call, and if a fix comes in, I'll post it here. I can get my camera to C.R.I.S. in about half an hour's drive. They did a sensor stain removal on my K-5 about a year and a half ago, and they do good work in a reasonable time period. We'll see.

If you also want to call C.R.I.S., the number is 800-799-0293.

That's all I know for now.

John

06-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
Since I live in the Phoenix area, I called the authorized Pentax repair station at C.R.I.S. in Chandler. I told them that I have a K-3 with the mirror flutter problem, and were they aware of it. They said yes. I said I had heard rumors of a firmware fix for the problem. The guy who answered put me on hold for a moment while he checked. He said that it would probably be a firmware fix, but that they have not received any word or firmware, and that they would check with Ricoh/Pentax. I asked him if that firmware would be non-user-installable (base software imbedded), and he answered yes. I gave him my phone number and he assured me he would call me when and if they get a fix from Pentax. So I'll wait for the call, and if a fix comes in, I'll post it here. I can get my camera to C.R.I.S. in about half an hour's drive. They did a sensor stain removal on my K-5 about a year and a half ago, and they do good work in a reasonable time period. We'll see.

John
Nice work and nice post John. After some real issues from real members and a whole lot of FUD it is nice to see our actual USA resources now have real information and, apparently, a plan.
06-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote

John
I also contacted the guy I've been dealing with at Pentax/Ricoh USA and his response was very similar... that there was no fix yet. I did ask him to investigate a little further as there has been some info online about people getting a different answer. I'm waiting to hear back.
06-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #34

Victoria, BC.

I looked into buying a K-3 yesterday, but found all stock here in the suspect serial # range. A couple of the dealers were aware of the issue, having had returned units demonstrating the mirror flop issue. The dealers were all contacting the Ricoh rep to ask about this issue. I have left my name as one holding off purchasing until the issue is resolved.

Hopefully, more info will soon be forthcoming up here in Canada.

06-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WestCoastGuy Quote
...holding off purchasing until the issue is resolved.
Why wait? My logic would suggest that the time you spend waiting for a possible resolution to the issue being reported by some K-3 owners before buying one for yourself be instead allocated to the time you might be without the camera should the issue arise for you and require sending away for repair. Meantime [and sooner] however, you have a brand new Pentax K-3 to use.
06-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #36
Unregistered User

Talked to "my guy" at Pentax repair Sweden yesterday and he told me he had gotten the software update and that it is a firmware. Version 1.03xxxx. Where the x:es has a higher number than the one we already installed. It is user installable but he said that they also needed to check some hardware to ensure quality. The fix will be in the 1.04 firmware when it comes. He recommended me to keep using the camera and if I get a flippety flopp again I would send it in. For me I only had the mirror go crazy twice in 35000 shutter releases and nothing these last 10000-15000 so I will wait. We have a 2 year warranty in Sweden so there is no rush as long as it keeps shooting.
06-10-2014, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #37

Photos: Albums
I second Steve on this one. OK, it's $1000 (get it with goodies from B&H for $1300, sell the goodies, end up with a sub-1k brand new K3 from a reputable seller), but if you want it, just buy it and enjoy it. there hasn't been a single case, where the mirror runaway would occur steadily and on a daily basis. if the unlikely does become likely, and the K-3 dies of a heart attack, send it back and get a new one .

when I bought mine, I didn't know about the issue. it did happen 2 days after the purchase and hadn't occurred 6k shutter activations later. would I have bought one if I'd knew about the issue beforehand? probably not , but I'd end up with K5-IIs, which, while good, is slightly less good than K-3. sometimes ignorance is indeed bliss.

06-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Much as I would love a K3 I'm not ready to abandon my K5 just yet even though it has occasionally mirror-flopped. I just don't have a lot of discretionary dollars to spend on new equipment (LBA not withstanding) . But I'm eagerly following this thread in the hope that the aforementioned firmware "fix" will eventually lead to new firmware for the other K-series camera affected by this intermittent & mysterious ailment. Let's hope Ricoh doesn't abandon the discontinued models that are otherwise still chugging along.

Jeff
06-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
Let's hope Ricoh doesn't abandon the discontinued models that are otherwise still chugging along.
Ricoh's brand history - and their stated policy for Pentax - is to support discontinued models with regular Firmware updates until the hardware is no longer able to benefit from / capable of accepting them.
06-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh's brand history - and their stated policy for Pentax - is to support discontinued models with regular Firmware updates until the hardware is no longer able to benefit from / capable of accepting them.
Very glad to see you state this. There are probably more of us who stick to working older gear than those who jump on the latest & greatest as soon as it arrives. And, for a lot of us, reliability, robust build & backwards compatibility are chief among the reasons we chose Pentax in the first place. We just might be a happy silent majority. That is not to say we never experience frustration, jealousy, remorse or anger when these kind of issues arise; it just illustrates how percentages can appear skewed in one direction while actually being quite the opposite. It could be that we Pentaxians use our cameras more than other brands get used, so the raw numbers of reported mirror flops are still a smaller percentage than they appear.

I'm not minimizing the problem. In fact I can recall the last time this happened to my K5. I was about ready to take THE BEST PICTURE I EVER TOOK when the mirror decided to ruin it for me. Once I took the battery out and things returned to normal I was so relieved I felt like giving the camera a big hug. After all, it is my constant companion while out & about and brings me much joy & relaxation after a tough day at the office!
06-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Why wait? My logic would suggest that the time you spend waiting for a possible resolution to the issue being reported by some K-3 owners before buying one for yourself be instead allocated to the time you might be without the camera should the issue arise for you and require sending away for repair. Meantime [and sooner] however, you have a brand new Pentax K-3 to use.
I have my trusty K-20D. I'm not missing a shot at all.

If I -did- buy one in that serial # range, AND it exhibits the problem while shooting THEN I will miss one or more shots. And probably be past any Return Policy.

-MY- logic says, that it would be a mugs game to proceed with a purchase at this time.

Of course, everything changes if there is a firmware update/patch that resolves the issue.
06-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #42

Photos: Albums
it's a good logic - don't fix it if ain't broken. problem solved, if your current setup works well, no need to change anything.
06-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I received this email from Randall today regarding this issue.

Dear Steve,

Thank you for contacting RICOH.

We have been informed that there is now a shop adjustment that can be made to help resolve/reduce the reported K-3 "mirror-flop" issue. I recommend you return your camera directly to RICOH Imaging Company at the address listed below for examination.

RICOH Service Department
250 North 54th St.
Chandler, AZ 85226

Be sure to use adequate packing material to prevent damage during shipping, and have the parcel insured. Please include a note describing the problem and give your name, return shipping address, and telephone number. For initial tracking purposes, please note the serial number of your equipment for your own records.

If your camera is within the warranty period, (one year from the original date of purchase), please supply us with a dated proof of purchase, and a request for warranty service. If the RICOH/PENTAX Extended Warranty covers your camera, please supply us with a copy of your Extended Warranty Card. Providing your camera has not been misused or abused and the problem is due to a manufacturer's defect, your camera will be repaired and returned to you without charge.

If your warranty period has expired, or if the repair is not covered under the terms of this warranty, we will examine your camera and supply you with a written estimate (this estimate is provided at no charge). Upon approval (and payment in full) of the estimate, we will proceed with the repair. Approvals may be given by phone with a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. If you decide against the repair estimate, your camera will be returned to you for a $12 shipping and handling charge.

Repair times will vary depending on the time of year.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION
PHONE: 800.234.0276 / 800.877.0155
06-14-2014, 01:53 AM   #44

I had this happen to me almost the second day I used it. It scared the hell out of me and I thought it was going to kill itself. I pulled the battery after trying to shut off the power. I spent maybe 5 seconds and many flutters later. I will keep a printed paper with what information is needed in my bag for the next time it happens =/ I have firmware 1.03 installed(did this first thing).
06-14-2014, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

It's nice to know that they're addressing the issue. However, they shouldn't charge for this repair if the camera has not been misused within our out of warranty since this a manufacturing defect.

Perhaps a list of cameras affected using their serial number would be appropriate. They should also identify defective products which are still on the shelves and pull them out and Give them a fix prior to selling.