Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Why Would Anyone Need...

an aftermarket screen if you have focus peaking? is it possible to have back/front focusing issues with a screen?

05-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because focus peaking is only available on the LCD screen, not in the OVF?

---------- Post added 05-22-14 at 09:08 PM ----------

And yes you can have front/back focus issues with the focusing screen. Shims are provided to make adjustments to bring the new screen into proper position to provide good focus.
05-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Many reasons. Personal preference for one. The LCD sucks the battery down quickly. In some environments, a bright LCD would be disturbing. You can't follow action on an LCD screen because of the lag time. Unless you're on a tripod, tripping the shutter while holding the camera out in front of you (while looking at the LCD to focus) will introduce much more camera shake than holding it securely against your eye/head.
05-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Why would anyone buy a good DSLR and then use it like a glorified point and shoot, composing via the LCD. There are a few situations where composing and focusing through the LCD is necessary - focus peaking is one, macro shooting is another. Otherwise it is just poor technique.

05-23-2014, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Why would anyone buy a good DSLR and then use it like a glorified point and shoot, composing via the LCD. There are a few situations where composing and focusing through the LCD is necessary - focus peaking is one, macro shooting is another. Otherwise it is just poor technique.
I don't agree. It's a different technique, that's all. OVF has its uses, LCD has its uses too.

Many people make fine images with their compacts or cellphones, after all. I say go with what works for you, not what feels more pro...
05-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because I prefer to have the camera at my eye and not wobbling around at arm's length? Oh, and I also shoot a fair amount outdoors and like to actually see what is in the frame. You may also be interested in noting that the camera may stop the lens down in live view unless you are using the magnified view. What you see is not always what you get. (Ever notice how "broad" the area of peak focus is?)

As for focus screen calibration, this is easily addressed by, "Ta Da!", using magnified live view, a flat target, and focus peaking to confirm and/or adjust the screen shimming. Usually no changes are needed.

In practice, I use both techniques with live view being most useful with the camera on-tripod.

Steve