Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Second K3 stops focussing correctly

Hi all. I had a previous K3 that auto focussed very inconsistently out of the box. Sometimes it would be front focussed, then back focussed, and adjusting the lens micro adjust did nothing to change the issue. It did this with all our lenses. My current K3 that replaced that one was flawless until around 3 weeks ago: I had just updated the firmware and then not used it, then was going to shoot a graduation with our Sigma 18-250(the newest one) which had worked so well on it over the winter. All the images came out really soft at the wide end, but fine at the Tele. I had set the micro af adjust to +3 in January and it was perfect then. Now it took -8 to get it good at 18mm and even then it was inconsistent like the old K3 was. I decided to check first my 12-24 Pentax lens on it and it's af was sacked also. It did this with all our lenses. Tried reflashing the current firmware again, still the af is inconsistent. I even did a reset of the camera, still no good. I did test all the lenses on Karen's K5iis and they work fine. I have had the camera long enough that sending it off for service is the only alternative. We live in Virginia now, so what would be the closest Ricoh service facility to us? I love the K3 but must say that this issue is very concerning to us as it has now happened twice. Thanks for the help!

05-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you looking at the files are full resolution? The K-3 is more picky with lenses, so when you blow the image up to 100% sometimes you won't get the best results with longer consumer lenses. I experienced something similar to this with the 55-300mm. Just a thought!

Let's see some samples

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually it's that it is focussing inconsistently now, and it wasn't before. I am not at a computer now, using the smart phone to post. Btw it was the DA*300 that suddenly became soft when the camera said it was in focus on the first K3 that started this.
05-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Unregistered User

Well, the DA*300 should be sharp as a razor. The 18-250 will be soft and the ends. Less at 18. I had the K10d and the Tamron 18-250. Loved it. Got the K-5 and realized that the 18-250 was not very sharp. Stopped using it. Got the K-3. Sold the 18-250 because it just was not good enough for a cropped image.

Temperature may have an impact.

Most my lenses needed adjustment on my K-5. With the K-3 most are not adjusted.

05-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The problem here is inconsistant focus: the 18-250 sigma as an example at 18mm was sharp in the center, then take the same pic again and it focused completely different and it is soft. The K3 does this with all the lenses now, it's not a case of subpar lenses, that's why I asked where to send it on the east coast fir service.
05-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely sounds strange, there has been very little negative comment on the k-3 AF. So it sounds as if your only solution is to send it off for service.

In the USA the Ricoh repair facility is here: https://www.criscam.com/ Just setup up a login ID, and fill in the blanks to describe the equipment and problem. Then you can submit the ticket and print a packing slip to go with the camera. Make sure to record your serial number.

I have had several things repaired there and I have been very satisfied. My only complaint has been the length of time items have stayed in the "parts hold" status. But that's not CRIS's fault, Ricoh needs to get the parts pipeline better organized.
05-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you!

05-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jatrax, is there any place else besides CRIS to send the camera in the USA? I have tried 5 times to fill out there online form and it keeps stalling on the credit card info and will not allow me to complete it. I even tried different web browsers. I really need to get this done today as it will be nearly a week before I have time to do it again. Thanks.

David
05-26-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

David,

AFAIK CRIS is the only repair center. I have been told that if you take something to your local camera shop (if you have one) they in turn send it to CRIS.
I had no issues last month but then I already had an account established. You might try calling them, though I doubt they are in today. Still worth a shot.

Have you tried a different card or will it just not take anything?

Just logged in to check and the site seems to function OK, but of course I cannot check the credit card part. Sorry, that's all I've got.
05-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I tried three cards, seems to be a site issue. I did try a different route that I think will work: I went to the main Ricoh Pentax site and used their support drop down menu and they had instructions to mail in the camera to CRIS but without the registration requirement. It even had a PDF I printed with a mailing label and a form to fill out to put in the box, so I went that route. Thanks for your time on this Memorial Day Jatrax!

David
05-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
but without the registration requirement. It even had a PDF I printed with a mailing label and a form to fill out to put in the box, so I went that route.
That should work fine. The registration is not required, I do not think. But if you are registered and the repair order done that way they update the status of the repair online. So you can check in every day and see it change from "arrived" to "in repair" to "parts hold". A bit frustrating when it gets to parts hold. They looked at my k-5 the day it arrived and the next day it went to parts hold and stayed there for about 2 months.

Just make sure to record your serial number both at home and on the packing slip you include.

Best of luck, hope you get it back quickly!
05-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did that, and I too hope it comes back quickly. I might buy another k3 as a backup, but I really would prefer to get this one fixed first so I know the model is reliable. I have an historical photo shoot planned for august 20th in Belgium that I need the K3 for. I want to document exactly 100 years later for the British battle of Mons where the first British loss of the war occured, and where the last British causality occured in the same town in 11-11-1918. The two soldiers are resting across from eachother in the same German built cemetery outside of Mons. I would like to show what it is like there 100 years later, and what they gave, their sacrifice, meant. Maybe no one else will remember them 100 years later, but I'm going to try to show this in a photo essay. Anyhow, I do need the camera for that, and my wife is going to habdwrite a sort of diary as I do it.

David
05-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like an interesting project with historical value.

Not quite the same but my wife is fascinated by her family's ancestry and we have visited more grave yards than I can remember looking for a particular stone. She writes the history and I take the pictures.
05-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's a lot like this will go. That first fallen British soldier was just 16.

---------- Post added 05-26-14 at 12:55 PM ----------

I posted some technical pics and crops in another thread I had participated in if anyone want to see them: Compare Notes? - K3 AF wierdness (cont.)

David
05-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Is your camera no longer on warranty? Ricoh/Pentax support should do the legwork to get your camera serviced/replaced. You should not have to contact C.R.I.S. directly.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-26-2014 at 03:10 PM.