Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #1

K-3 D--Li90 batteries......

I am very new here.

I am looking at up-grading to the K-3 and have a couple of questions about the differences between the Pentax D-Li90 battery and the Watson D-Li90 Lithium batteries. (besides the price) If the new sale (5/30/2014) continues to the first of the week then I will be able to get the package with the body, battery grip and 32 GB SDHC card. Plus the extras I want/need to have enough battery power to go elk hunting for a week.

My basic question is: Is the Watson D-Li90 battery compatable withthe Pentax battery charger that comes with the body kit-NIB?

Also looking at the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR zoom lens as I already have the 18-135 WR lens. I want the metal fittings not available in the two inexpensive primes.

Thanks for your help.

05-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DonnaMarie Quote
My basic question is: Is the Watson D-Li90 battery compatable withthe Pentax battery charger that comes with the body kit-NIB?
Yes, it's compatible. The main difference is that third-party batteries often aren't as reliable or long-lasting, but they'll certainly get the job done.

QuoteOriginally posted by DonnaMarie Quote
Also looking at the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR zoom lens as I already have the 18-135 WR lens. I want the metal fittings not available in the two inexpensive primes.
The 18-135mm has a metal mount (and is better than the 18-55mm since it has silent AF), so there would be no reason for you to get the 18-55mm with a metal mount.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2014, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's been lots of battery debates here before and you probably won't get a solid answer about OEM versus third party batteries. Each side of the debate staunchly supports their view and there seems to be no middle ground.

I personal say that only the OEM batteries are worth my money. Never had luck with any aftermarket batteries (for any device actually). But, "free" battery is worth the money.
05-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
There's been lots of battery debates here before and you probably won't get a solid answer about OEM versus third party batteries. Each side of the debate staunchly supports their view and there seems to be no middle ground.

I personal say that only the OEM batteries are worth my money. Never had luck with any aftermarket batteries (for any device actually). But, "free" battery is worth the money.
Calculator01,

Thanks for the input. Based on your comments and Adams remarks, I can cut down on the costs to upgrade and since B&H is offering the battery grip deal again I am seriously comnsidering that avenue. If the battery grip does not work for me at least I won't have a lot of money invesdted in it.....

06-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get the FA50/1.4 if you want metal mount but don't look down on the plastic mount as it is very sturdy in its own right.
06-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can comment on that particular Watson. It's just as good as the original, after 6 months using it it has not let me down and I cannot tell the two apart by using them.

Others have commented positively about the Wasabi batteries found on Amazon, still cheaper than the Watson and apparently just as good.

In the past I have used an Impact battery for my K20D, again without any problems whatsoever.
06-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. My new K-3 is due UPS tomarrow (Thursday). I will put my oldest SLRD up for sale once it gets here. Have a friend who wants an entry level and the K-R should suit her. I will keep the K-30's X2

I split the difference and got an extra 1-Pentax and 1 Watson batteries to start.

Thanks again.