Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
manual lens

i have an old (70's) lens off of my K1000, so i put in on my K10D and finally figured out how to get it to fire. everything is manual with it on my camera so it makes me use my brain instead of using auto focus lenses. what a difference it makes on using a DSLR camera. any thoughts on this ?

06-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations and have fun! You will probably encounter some frustration with both metering (it will be inconsistent) and manual focus (difficult with the stock screen), but at least you still have the automatic aperture actuation. Most of my best work with My K10D has been done with manual focus lenses, including a few that are about 50 years old.

Steve
06-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Congratulations and have fun! You will probably encounter some frustration with both metering (it will be inconsistent) and manual focus (difficult with the stock screen), but at least you still have the automatic aperture actuation. Most of my best work with My K10D has been done with manual focus lenses, including a few that are about 50 years old.

Steve
thank you steve, i like having to use manual over auto. it forces me to learn
06-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use manual lenses all the time. A great bit of fun.

06-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use M-program mode most of time anyway and I not like AF even sometimes need to use AF cos no time for MF. So old manual lenses are natural choise for me cos they are build to use like my style of taking pics. But sometimes need af and automation also...
06-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently purchased two manual lenses, and I really like the challenges and results, but I agree that the camera will tell me there is insufficient light, yet the picture comes out properly exposed. I waited to buy my K-5 just so I would have fully manual settings and control like I've enjoyed with my workhorse K1000, it's amaizng how hard it was to find a DSLR that with those features at a reasonable price.