Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2014, 06:40 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
I've done it - Pentax K-3 on its way

After years with my Pentax K-x, I decided to splash out on a new Pentax K-3 which all being well will be with me tomorrow.

I am excited and then I read 'flappy mirror'

As I have never spent so much money on a new camera I hope that I will be impressed enough albeit with only the standard 18-55mm WR lens - (rain - I will be out in you with my new camera) to begin with.

It took a lot of thought, I was toying with changing sides (Canon/Nikon) but could not work out their weather sealing plus all my old manual lenses wouldn't work without investing in new adapters, plus my Pentax ME super still works so why change brand after all those years.

It comes with the free 16gb flucard.

I imagine that there will be a learning curve and I hope that I won't have to remember too much. I only shoot in manual mode on the K-x as that is all I knew from my film days, so hopefully not too much has changed on the Pentax K-3

06-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a bit of a learning curve, but most of it's a happy learning curve, congrats on your purchase.
06-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huzzah!
06-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you!!

It was a close call mind between the K-5 II but after two weeks of researching all types/manufacturers of dslr the K-3 drew me in and won. I even contemplated a 2nd hand K-5. On a serious note, I wouldn't have purchased a Canon/Nikon, for one it is all I see when I am out and they look complex.

What I am most looking forward to is photographing in the rain - something I didn't do with the K-x (not even with a plastic bag) and seeing how well the photos using the Welmy 28mm 2.5 will glow when used wide open.

06-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My profile picture is in rain gear, and on the full-sized image you can see the rain. It's great to have the confidence to take the camera even if the sky looks threatening...
06-13-2014, 04:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
An update:

My camera arrived on Wednesday and as I didn't get in until late I couldn't try it until yesterday - it took a long time for the battery to charge (albeit I was asleep during that stage).

Updated the firmware, tried the flucard (which I like through my phone) and took some pictures.

Initial thoughts: I have never had a camera that feels so good in the hand, the colours of the photographs are excellent and the detail in the images is excellent.

Coming from the K-x I am impressed although the K-3 does not like my Welmy 28mm - the lens does not stop down in manual mode even though the aperture ring is adjusted and works perfectly on the K-x. I tried the Pentax-M SMC 50mm 1.4 and this stops down perfectly on the K-3. So not sure what the issue is there.

Anyway, I for one am glad I have purchased this camera, it came with a 2 year warranty here in the UK and I cannot wait to get out there and use it more.
06-13-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded from a K10 to a K3, and my pictures are instantly better looking. Love the camera, love the results.

My brother commented on my improved pic quality.

I took shots of a meighbours Piper Cub airplane, as he flew past at 15 ft or so above ground level, on the runway. In JPEG mode I did a test of high speed shooting, and just nailed it. Almost every shot was in focus, With a hand held Sigma 70-200 DG HSM etc zoom. I have the pilot and passengers grins.

My K10 would have never managed it, on so many fronts.

06-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ROBEFFY Quote
I upgraded from a K10 to a K3, and my pictures are instantly better looking. Love the camera, love the results.

My brother commented on my improved pic quality.

I took shots of a meighbours Piper Cub airplane, as he flew past at 15 ft or so above ground level, on the runway. In JPEG mode I did a test of high speed shooting, and just nailed it. Almost every shot was in focus, With a hand held Sigma 70-200 DG HSM etc zoom. I have the pilot and passengers grins.

My K10 would have never managed it, on so many fronts.
Enjoy your new camera any chance you can post your photos Piper Cub airplane
Tom G