Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2014, 03:22 AM   #1

control slave flash

I have a AF-360 FGZ and a K-3. I am certain that I have used the K-3 as a wireless control for the the AF-360 to learn how to do it but recently I was unable to prevent the camera flash from firing in sync with the AF-360 even though the camera was set to wireless control. I am also wondering why mirror up mode is unavailable for wireless flash control. I do have a cable that connects to the hotshoe and the flash and that seems to work perfectlyThank you in advance for any suggestions in these matters

06-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

there are two ways to control your 360 with the K-3.

1-set the camera to manual flash power, and the flash to slave (I believe it's slave 2). then the flash will fire in sync with the camera flash, which will contribute to the exposure.

2-set the camera to wireless master or control (which is what you appear to be doing) and the flash to wireless PTTL (slave 1). also set the flash to first curtain. The camera flash will fire to control the 360 and will contribute to the exposure if used in Master only.

If used in Control it should not contribute to the exposure, are you sure that what you are seeing are not the pre-flashes? It should be possible (in front of a mirror for instance) to verify if your flash is actually firing during the exposure.
06-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
I didn't set the flash to the first curtain as I did originally when I tested it and all had the instruction manuals. I had prepared notes for a kobo reader and had forgotten to include that particular step. I'm sure that was my only omission. I will correct my notes. Thank you very much.
06-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
Pentax tech says there will be a pre-flash to activate but it comes before the shutter opens and does not contribute to the exposure. Unfortunately this is the least of my concerns as the power switch on the K- is sticking and requires service much to my disappointment having had he body only since March 2014. After 8 years of using a *istDL with flawless performance, I had confidence in the brand name and although I noticed the stiffness of the power switch since the purchase of the camera, I attributed that to the tight, weatherproof build of the camera and I foolishly charged ahead purchasing a battery of new lenses including the 31mm. Now to my dismay my camera is in the hands of 3rd party service who at this time are still under going training from pentax tech since they have never worked on this brand. I blame myself entirely for not researching better the decision to purchase and not keeping in mind what Corporations often do to highly respected brand names after purchasing them. The service and the quality of the product goes down and the profits go up. Es mi culpa.