Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #106
Forum Member

Thank you, i am try to write in english, but google translate is still better than me... sorry...

06-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ventzy Quote
Thank you, i am try to write in english, but google translate is still better than me... sorry...
Obviously, you have not seen some of the Google translations that I have seen. Many of them make absolutely no sense. Google translates the words as written, But doesn't take into consideration the subject matter or apparently the syntax variations in the language. Computers are still not good at that.

Your English is very good, a lot better than some I have come across. And as far as Google translation goes, in some cases it's absolute garbage and no one can understand It.

Stay safe and have fun.
Joe.
06-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #108
Forum Member

OK, will try, with some words to explain what I thing about K-3, water and dust. You are see pictures when I tested it. No any problem in all moments, all time camera was switched on and take pictures. I use remote control for that. But I know very well that this camera is not for diving and weather sealing is perfect if owner know very well how exactly to use it. For me, this feature is important. I often take camera with me in high mountain, winter time also and very often we sleep without tents. Still my K-3 is in perfect condition, and I hope will be long time in the future.

To have idea, You may see HERE one of my expeditions. Winter time, 2000 meter altitude... In this moment for me, there is no concurrent of Pentax K-3...
06-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ventzy Quote
OK, will try, with some words to explain what I thing about K-3, water and dust. You are see pictures when I tested it. No any problem in all moments, all time camera was switched on and take pictures. I use remote control for that. But I know very well that this camera is not for diving and weather sealing is perfect if owner know very well how exactly to use it. For me, this feature is important. I often take camera with me in high mountain, winter time also and very often we sleep without tents. Still my K-3 is in perfect condition, and I hope will be long time in the future.

To have idea, You may see HERE one of my expeditions. Winter time, 2000 meter altitude... In this moment for me, there is no concurrent of Pentax K-3...
Wow Ventzy, those are some beautiful photos!

Regardless of any advertising, I would not want to take any electronic gadget, especially something as expensive as a K-3, out in the rain for any length of time at all. Water and electronics just don't mix well. But I'm just that cautious and don't really trust adverts in the first place.

06-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #110
Forum Member

No, advertising is not my favorite source. I am very suspicions about how exactly is realized water resistant of this camera. And first I was in Pentax service, here in Bulgaria for long discussion, after that I have possibilities to see with my eyes original technical documentation about K-3... My job is IT, mobile electronics and special electronic devices. And I am very careful about decision for my camera... And before to take mine, there was another which I test personally... Just before some posts here I give a link to my personal testing of K-3 And yes, I am sure, that in those days there no other camera with such features, robustness, and IQ for money like this...

I like, to made some time photos, in very extremal condition and that is my obvious choice.

Only one problem I have now.., with my 15mm limited. Because is my only lens which is not water resistant, but is very small, and I prepare good packing for it. Other my lens are 55mm* and 300mm* and they already have about 1000 km walking in some forests, in winter, summer, rain and hot weather... Here are my opinion about 300mm*

The latest big storm here in Bulgaria, catch me in 1650 meters near to Sofia, but with no chance to move out. I was in dangerous area, with big and not stable stones... There was minutes after picture, a huge horizontal rain and everything was in water... and all equipment survive without any damage... again...

Viva Pentax!
06-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
After that, open the battery door and take a look there and imagine a bit of grit on the seal edge.

My expectation would be that the seals will do their job as long as the exposure is not for very long or the pressure (say from a hose) is not too great. An hour or so in light drizzle might be fine. Ten minutes in a steady downpour without toweling off afterwards may likely prove fatal.

Steve
It's good advice to clean those rubber seals and the areas where they seal regularly. A damp cotton swab should do well enough.
07-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A great shot !!

Btw I just receive call today from Pentax service center, they said the Japan office decided to repair my K3 for free this time, as this is "a very special case", they will not do it again for the same problem, unless I pay for it, the whole conversation was recorded, of course I accepted the terms !! they did not give any detail about what caused the problem, and I think obviously the battery cover is the weakest spot for water proofing, and I used a sling strap and turn the camera up side down, I will probably purchase the battery grip for added protection.

Now Pentax, please go back to the drawing broad and do something on the next models, to prevent "special case" to ruin the camera again !!

07-30-2014, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote

Now Pentax, please go back to the drawing broad and do something on the next models, to prevent "special case" to ruin the camera again !!
I don't think it likely to be a matter of weak design but more likely the occasional manufacturing defect resulting in some seal which doesn't do its job properly. Manufacturing defects are something that can only be minimized but never eliminated completely. What perhaps should be different is the response from Pentax. I think it would be much better for everyone, and also the Pentax name, if they just admitted to the existence of the occasional manufacturing defect that slipped past QC and repaired that,

I have two weather sealed Petaxes, the K-30 and K-3. The K-30 has had its fair share of drenchings and I even rinse it thouroughly after using it in heavy sea spray and never had any issues. If there had been some systemic design fault I'm sure it would have caused me problems at some time or other but it never did. There are some things I think they could design better but it is by no means poorly designed.

The K-3 has had some experience with water but not nearly as much as the K-3. No problems at all to date

Last edited by lister6520; 08-10-2014 at 12:37 AM. Reason: K-3 / K-30 mixup