Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Me too

Ok, this is a dopey post. But it seems that everyone else posts when they buy a camera, so: this is my 'me too!'

It's was end of financial year in Australia yesterday, so I just ordered a K-3 and couldn't resist including the 18-135.

I now have to sadly consider selling my K10d and K-7 as I promised myself that I wouldn't become a camera collector. Lens collector, yes. Both have been mollycoddled and look like new. Arrgh... can't decide.

06-30-2014, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the K-3 club.
A new camera introduces different things to learn and experiment with, and the K-3 certainly has more new stuff in it than usual.

I'd retain one of your older bodies though, as a spare/backup. Always handy.
06-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for permission! I guess keeping the K-7 makes sense as it uses the same batteries...
07-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Keping the K-7 makes some sense, but on the other hand it's loosing value everyday. The K10D has lost most of its value already, so it could be a better choice for a backup. But it's less capable.

I purchased my K-3 when I got a buyer for my K20D

07-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have to wait now anyway, my camera is back ordered... sigh.
07-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
my camera is back ordered...
I hate that. I've made myself a rule nowadays to only order stuff from stores that can actually confirm they have stock. Saves a lot of frustration.

I'm a bit surprised though. I thought there was plenty of K-3 stock around in Australia. It's not like it's a newly released camera or anything.
07-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
Forum Member

Hopefully getting mine tomorrow, shipped from B&H to the North Atlantic islands of Faroe Islands Friday morning last week, arrived here at euro express on Monday afternoon, now just waiting for the delivery man to arrive.
Got the K3 with battery grip and flu card deal.
Will be a nice successor to my K5.

07-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There were a few sales on around the place last week. ("EOFY") I think this exhausted supply. After getting on the phone to them, I was told it would be in next week.
07-03-2014, 03:38 AM   #9
Banned

Congrats on the new purchase. If you're anything like me you'll grow to love your K-3, it really is a wonderful bit of kit.

I'm surprised, like rawr, that they didn't have any in stock. Do you go with CRK direct?

Ah well, I guess it's good to know Pentax is selling well
07-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't want to start my own "me too" thread. May I borrow yours?

I'm waiting for an "as new" 3 month old K-3, hoping it's in good condition... Bought it without the grip, but got message that it had been included anyway to compensate for the missing usb cable and manual. I can live with that
07-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Welcome aboard my thread!

Mine arrived last night. WOW.
I had imagined it was a K-7 / K-5 with a different sensor, because it looks very similar in photos. It's not. It's a massive jump in quality, in every regard, especially the build quality. Which is all the more surprising, because the quality of the body is what I liked about my K-7. If you have ever picked up a D7100 or the similar current canon, you would think they were made from the thinnest plastic.
First thing going through my mind when I turned it on, was: 'so glad I decided to stick with pentax.' Also, very glad I didn't go mirror less. This is way better.
Anyway, every other aspect appears vastly improved too.
Doesn't get tricked by tungsten light, low light, exposes correctly for backlit subjects, autofocus makes all my lenses handle completely like new lenses. Even my old FA lens.
Can't wait for the weekend! Raving!!
07-10-2014, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Welcome aboard my thread!

Mine arrived last night. WOW.
I had imagined it was a K-7 / K-5 with a different sensor, because it looks very similar in photos. It's not. It's a massive jump in quality, in every regard, especially the build quality. Which is all the more surprising, because the quality of the body is what I liked about my K-7. If you have ever picked up a D7100 or the similar current canon, you would think they were made from the thinnest plastic.
First thing going through my mind when I turned it on, was: 'so glad I decided to stick with pentax.' Also, very glad I didn't go mirror less. This is way better.
Anyway, every other aspect appears vastly improved too.
Doesn't get tricked by tungsten light, low light, exposes correctly for backlit subjects, autofocus makes all my lenses handle completely like new lenses. Even my old FA lens.
Can't wait for the weekend! Raving!!
Yes, the heftier screw-drive is a big plus. All of my lenses feel brand new going from K-x to K-3.
07-10-2014, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got mine last Thursday. Saturday and Sunday I gave it a workout! I went from a K200D that I was and still am happy with it's just getting up there in the exposure department I decided to take advantage of B&H's Body, Battery Grip, FluCard deal. WOW is all I can say!!! These are all crops out of RAW files!