Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 05:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Arca Swiss Quick Release Plate for K-3 w/grip

Any recommendations for an Arca style quick release plate for the K-3 w/grip? Preferbly with a lip and a strap attachment?

Can I simply use plates designed for the K-5 (there was a thread listing recommendations for those)?

Does the grip change what you need to get?

Thanks!

07-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After some research I went for "Joby UltraFit Hand Strap" JOBY UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate: Camera Strap + Baseplate

I also got the "UltraFit Sling Strap for Women" because I wanted the most lightweight combo and prefer the curved Strap Camera Straps for Women: UltraFit Sling Strap for Women by JOBY . You can screw the Sling Strap onto the Hand Strap plate. So no need to carry along two (different) systems. It's also very quiet, no click click like on other systems.

This combination is very versatile, lightweight and still sturdy (I've used it with K-3 + FA* 2.8/300). The plate fits very well with the K-3. E.g. no need to remove it to open the battery door. I have not used it with the grip yet, so I'm not 100% sure if the Hand Strap is long enough for the K-3 w/grip. Though from the pictures shown on the Joby site, the Hand Strap should also fit cameras with attached grip.

Love it.

Last edited by Pentaxoe; 07-03-2014 at 08:05 AM.
07-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the one from Peak Design.

https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capturepro
07-03-2014, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Joby Ultraplate by itself on my K5IIs with grip. Works great with my Sun Sniper sling strap. It is long enough to mount the camera securely on the tripod without having the strap get in the way.

The Ultraplate can be purchased separately from the above mentioned hand strap.

07-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
I use the one from Peak Design.

https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capturepro
This Peak Design stuff looks great. Thank you for the info.
07-16-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
Any recommendations for an Arca style quick release plate for the K-3 w/grip? Preferbly with a lip and a strap attachment?

Can I simply use plates designed for the K-5 (there was a thread listing recommendations for those)?

Does the grip change what you need to get?

Thanks!
You CANNOT use d-bg4 base plates with the d-bg5. For some inexplicable reason they changed the bottom of the battery grip to something more curved than the flatter BG4. I find this odd as the flat base of the BG4 was quite sturdy and I do not like the new convex bottom of the BG5. They are identical and features and there was no need for a redesign. it's practically the same grip as the BG4. Some argue they could've made both grips compatible with both cameras.

Anyway I have not found any now twist plates for the BG5.
07-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a look at the last post in this threat https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242751-k-3-l-plates-k3-without-grip.html
Mestos seems to make one for the K3 + Grip

07-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgbirder Quote
Have a look at the last post in this threat https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242751-k-3-l-plates-k3-without-grip.html
Mestos seems to make one for the K3 + Grip
He heh. That's my thread and Mestos is out of business. They were the only company that made custom plates and L brackets for Pentax anymore. RRS has a sort of semi-generic semi-custom L bracket for the K-3 only. But pretty much be there no more custom fitting brackets for Pentax.

From what I can guess this thread was more about a strap plates combo, and the plate was kind of generic. Is this right?