Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

K3 Crazy Mirror Sickness (Mirror Flapping Lockup) on firmware 1.10

I didn't see any other reports and thought important enough to start a new thread. Sorry folks 1.10 is not a fix for the mirror flap lockup, not completely anyhow, it happened to me today for the first time, and I already upgraded from 1.03 to 1.10, just double checked my firmware.

Mode : P
Battery: Pentax original fully charged, no battery grip
SD cards : Pentax Flu and Integral Ultima Pro 64GB Class 10

Note : battery had been probably 2/3 and I had topped it up to full last night knowing I was doing some shooting today.

07-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Yes, happend to me to, 3 times in a day, I called the shop from where I bought it and they told me to send it back, a new one is on it's way, might get it tomorow or on monday. Although I have low hopes it won't have the disiese to. Probably the same batch or some such.
07-17-2014, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Well, ain't that a beeeeech,
07-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
I had topped it up to full last night
Might be notable. 'Hot' battery.

Still has never happened to me, after 8 months or so of varied usage.
I will probably get my first flap 1 week after my 12 month warranty period expires, I bet.

07-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Might be notable. 'Hot' battery....
Nope - had been off charge for >8 hrs when it occurred so certainly was not hot at the time or in heavy use at the point it occurred. I just mention as I normally run batteries to flat and just swap a spare then, I don't generally top up battery charge.
07-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nope -
Oh well. In relation to K-3 flapping, I just keep recalling all the weirdness that went on with the K200D, K-x, K-5 with battery related issues, AA and otherwise.

One day Pentax should do a DSLR with a windup dynamo or something, with a hand-crank. That would likely solve all these problems.
07-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Never had a problem with the K-5 or even my main LX...except the sticky mirror and both of my winders broke for whatever the same reason and re-broke again after a repair bill of $110 each.

07-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear it's happening with the latest firmware

Please, if you can, add your reports to the original reporting thread just so we can keep all the reports in one place. I did link to this thread in the updates, and I added your names to the list there, but it would be good for you to add your info to that thread, if you could.

I was considering buying a K3 again just to test, but now I may just hold off some more.
07-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was hoping that the firmware would take care of business.

Considering buying a K3 is now out of the question for me after having been reading the two related threads regarding the "crazy-mirror-sickness-mirror-flapping-lockup".

JP
07-17-2014, 11:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote

Please, if you can, add your reports to the original reporting thread just so we can keep all the reports in one place. I did link to this thread in the updates, and I added your names to the list there, but it would be good for you to add your info to that thread, if you could.

I was considering buying a K3 again just to test, but now I may just hold off some more.
I'm fine if a mod now wants to close off this thread now, it was important to start it to make the point that 1.10 is not the fix that we hoped.
07-18-2014, 06:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote

Sorry to hear that OP has the problem but I agree with Amy that there does not need to be a new thread. These reports should go to the original thread so we do not have bunch of threads on essentially the same topic. Thanks for giving us the update and thanks to Amy for all her work on this frustrating issue. Fingers crossed but I have not had the problem nearing 10,000 actuations. Must be infuriating for those who do have it.
07-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #12

I've only had my K3 for a few weeks, but haven't come across this problem so far. I did update the firmware when I got it, July 1st, v1.03. After reading these posts I went to Pentax Imaging to get the 1.10 update and it's not there. Still only shows v1.03 as the newest update. I guess they realized the problem can't be fixed with firmware or they've gone back to the drawing board with it. Could be they'll have a big recall on the product which would be extremely inconvenient for us all, but I sure would like to get some feedback from Ricoh on the issue.
07-19-2014, 12:50 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

I can still see 1.10 here.
07-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #14

Thanks for the assist Steve, must have still had the link to the previous version.