Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 manual flash mode

The manual seems to imply that the manual flash mode only works with the built-in flash. I've tested with an AF-200FG and it does not seem to work.

Can anyone confirm whether manual flash mode can work with external flashes? I'm trying to add just a bit of fill flash without it looking like a flash was used.

07-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Manual flash mode works with external flash in PTTL mode.
07-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, but I don't think it's working for me. I've tried everything I can think of and I get the same exposure at full as I do at 1/128 power. I'm sure I am doing something wrong, but no idea what.

k-3 in 'M' mode, flash in 'M' mode AF-200fg flash in 'Auto' setting. The k-3 screen changes to show what it thinks is going to happen (FULL or 1/128) but the flash duration is the same and the exposure is the same.
07-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Thanks, but I don't think it's working for me. I've tried everything I can think of and I get the same exposure at full as I do at 1/128 power. I'm sure I am doing something wrong, but no idea what.

k-3 in 'M' mode, flash in 'M' mode AF-200fg flash in 'Auto' setting. The k-3 screen changes to show what it thinks is going to happen (FULL or 1/128) but the flash duration is the same and the exposure is the same.
If you have not already make sure the shutter speed is under 1/160 or the flash will not fire.
If you are in X mode then the shutter will lock to 1/180, which actually makes me wonder. What happens when you put it in X mode, still the same result?

Edit:
Actually re-reading your post.
You are getting the flash to fire but you cannot get the flash to fire on anything but full power?

I have never used the AF-200FG but I do have Yonynuo flashes and you can definately change the power output of the flashes while in manual mode.

Last edited by Dreamsong; 07-18-2014 at 08:57 PM.
07-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

I use my K-3 with a Sigma EF-530 DG et in PTTL mode. When I set the camera to Tv (or P with manual shutter speed), I am able to shoot pictures at high shutter speed as high as 1/8,000s. (In my case, I often need to use fast shutter speed for indoor action.)

I am not sure to follow you and it would help if you could document clearly what you did (camera settings and flash settings).
07-19-2014, 02:36 AM   #6

Post some pictures with the settings
07-19-2014, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The manual seems to imply that the manual flash mode only works with the built-in flash. I've tested with an AF-200FG and it does not seem to work.

Can anyone confirm whether manual flash mode can work with external flashes? I'm trying to add just a bit of fill flash without it looking like a flash was used.
I don't think the repondants so far understand what your asking.

I believe your tryin to control an external flash from the cameras M options 1:1-> 1:128

This as you have found is not possibly

A p-ttl flash in P-ttl will ignore camera setting M
A p-ttl flash in M will switch to P-ttl on half press and the above will apply.

tested on af 540fgz

07-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
I don't think the repondants so far understand what your asking.

I believe your tryin to control an external flash from the cameras M options 1:1-> 1:128

This as you have found is not possibly

tested on af 540fgz
Thanks, that is what I am trying to do. Appreciate you testing it. The manual flash mode apparently works only with the built-in flash which is a shame. Not sure why "manual" is not manual but only manual until the flash wakes up and goes into p-ttl.

I wonder if anyone with the new FGZII flashes can check to see if this behavior has changed with them. It might be a limitation of the older flashes since AFAIK the "manual" mode was introduced in the k-3.
07-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
This makes sense. Is it safe to summarize your findings by saying that the M flash settings only apply to the internal flash? The language used in the manual would seem to support this notion.

I don't have the Pentax flashes, but I have found that my Sigma EF-610 DG Super can be configured on the flash for manual mode on my K-3, but only when the camera is in M, X, or B modes. Any other mode and the flash will not fire.

Steve

(...really feels dumb for investing too much money in an P-TTL flash...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-20-2014 at 07:24 PM.
07-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's what I have found in testing. The internal flash can be controlled as expected and the exposure changes as you change the in camera manual setting for the flash, just as you would expect. But when you put an external flash on, no matter what value you set in the manual flash settings of the camera the exposure remains the same.

I am thinking it must be a limitation of the flash itself as I can think of no logical reason for the camera to behave this way. I am wondering if the new FGZII flashes support this manual mode.

I have tried it with a Metz 48 AF-1, a Pentax AF200T and a Pentax AF200 FG.
07-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am thinking it must be a limitation of the flash itself as I can think of no logical reason for the camera to behave this way. I am wondering if the new FGZII flashes support this manual mode.
They might, though I don't know why that feature should be called out. After all, trailing curtain sync selection from the camera is not supported either.

I suppose you could always check out the manual (At bottom of page):

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-20-2014 at 07:51 PM.
07-21-2014, 05:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/192909-people-youngest.html

This was done at "X" with the flash in manual around 1/4 power. I've also been able to control the output of the flash with the exposure comp dial just like the on-board(you can see the LCD change in real-time). You can also "Slow-synch"(flash with slow shutter speeds)to balance ambient light with artificial.

This thread might also help.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/268169-flash-exp-comp-camera-exp-comp.html

Last edited by tabl10s; 07-21-2014 at 06:02 AM.