Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thinking about adapting this to my K-3 battery grip

As there seems to be no dedicated Arca Swiss plate for K-3 with battery grip, I tried various "universal" types with limited success -- they all eventually twist due to torque rotation.

Recently I noticed the following item for sale:

Canon 60D Body Plate Arca-Swiss Type by ProMediaGear

All I would have to do is drill a very small hole in the bottom of the battery grip and I should have an inexpensive, lightweight, non-twisting plate which I can leave on permanently.

Thoughts?

Michael

07-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
As there seems to be no dedicated Arca Swiss plate for K-3 with battery grip, I tried various "universal" types with limited success -- they all eventually twist due to torque rotation.

Recently I noticed the following item for sale:

Canon 60D Body Plate Arca-Swiss Type by ProMediaGear

All I would have to do is drill a very small hole in the bottom of the battery grip and I should have an inexpensive, lightweight, non-twisting plate which I can leave on permanently.

Thoughts?

Michael
I love the DIY approach so I say go for it and publish results to encourage me to do the same. Just examined my K-3 grip and it does not appear you can damage the operation even if the hole goes too deep. Being plastic the hole will wear if the grip is mounted/dismounted very often. Looks well worth any risk to me. Just my 2 cents worth.
07-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Mestos apparently makes a dedicated one. There was a recent thread here by someone who got one. He was quite pleased with it. You could search for the thread.
07-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
what little I have read in the threads on this lists suggest that the going price for that "rare as hen's teeth" Mestos was close to $150 or so?

M

07-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

what little I have read in the threads on this lists suggest that the going price for that "rare as hen's teeth" Mestos was close to $150 or so?

M
I wouldn't be surprised. That's about the going rate for a top-quality one, though, which the Mestos apparently is.
07-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How about this one? It's from Peak Design.

I have the Capture Pro set and it came with this or you can purchase as a stand alone.

https://peakdesignltd.com/store/arcaplate
07-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Im thinking that you might want to epoxy a thin washer to the hole in the grip to take the wear and tear from the pin.

Im not sure how the thickness of the washer can be accommodated, but the epoxy might make the whole job waterproof and solid.

07-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have the Peak and it too rotates when torqued. Additionally it is not very useful with the battery grip as the 1/4" threaded hole is significantly off-center, making (for me) the whole point of the arcs system moot -- with an arcs plate one should be able to do anything (e.g. panoramas) but to do so requires that the plate are at minimum aligned with the lens. As such, the only reasonable solution (IMHO) for the K-3 battery grip is to use a much longer plate such as the one pointed out (or the non-existent mestos). The Peak simply doesn't cut it sadly (N.B. I do have a Peak attached to my DA* 60-250mm which is convenient to holster the lens when I switch lenses in the field.

YMMV

Michael
07-22-2014, 06:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
well, I found a Metzos on eBay for $50 US, so rather than experiment I went the safe route. I must say, I now wish Pentax and others would follow Canon's path: all bases (both bodies and grips) should have alignment pins to prevent rotation. By doing so, the plate can be smaller, lighter, more ergonomic, and ultimately cheaper.

YMMV

Michael
07-23-2014, 02:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Here's mine. Will probably aquire a second. The gripless RRS version has the side mount more forward which partially covers the AF/MF switch(this is better). Battery access is as simple as removing the grip compared to non-grip plates. $159
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by tabl10s; 08-30-2014 at 08:51 AM.
08-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
just received the Mestos PD-K5H plate (*not* the "L" plate) from Korea and I am sad to report that in spite of some recommendations (implied or otherwise) here on this forum the PD-K5H does NOT fit the K-3 battery grip. Here is a photo that demonstrates clearly what the issue is:

To say I am disappointed is to put it mildly. In summary take my advice: don't buy into the delusion that a K-5 grip and a K-3 grip are "basically the same". They are not. And from my experience, plates and accessories made for one in most cases will not work properly on the other. The PD-K5H plate is just one such example of a K-5 specific item won't work on a K-3. I am sure there are others. Caveat Emptor.

YMMV

Michael

Last edited by MJSfoto1956; 09-01-2014 at 10:18 AM.
08-31-2014, 01:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads up Mike. Sorry for your lost time and money chasing this elusive plate. Hopefully Arca would have mercy and come out with a solution for K3. But how many would purhcase it?
09-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

just received the Mestos PD-K5H plate (*not* the "L" plate) from Korea and I am sad to report that in spite of some recommendations (implied or otherwise) here on this forum the PD-K5H does NOT fit the K-3 battery grip. Here is a photo that demonstrates clearly what the issue is:

To say I am disappointed is to put it mildly. In summary take my advice: don't buy into the delusion that a K-5 grip and a K-3 grip are "basically the same". They are not. And from my experience, plates and accessories made for one in most cases will not work properly on the other. The PD-K5H plate is just one such example of a K-5 specific item won't work on a K-3. I am sure there are others. Caveat Emptor.

YMMV

Michael
The RRS "L" for the K-5 does fit the K-3.
09-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not use the universal plates with anti rotation strips? Arca-swiss type Plate 3 inch long Universal by ProMediaGear
Tom at ProMediaGear is a nice guy and could probably maybe even be willing to come up with a solution for a Pentax Grip if you talked to him and sent him your grip to work with.
His gear is top notch.
Give it a shot.
09-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
The RRS "L" for the K-5 does fit the K-3.
Well, there is a Mestos L plate specifically for the K-3, but as stated earlier I don't want an L plate (I always pack an Acratech L bracket which I use with all my different camera bodies and I'm not about to change back to expensive L brackets). And I have several "generic" plates from different manufacturers each with different anti-twist features and none are perfect and eventually will twist over time. The search continues!

M

P.S. I've always thought it would be a cool feature if camera manufacturers had Arca "grooves" built into the bottom and sides of their camera bodies so that needing such an accessory would be moot.