Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

Machine gun mirror problem followed by loss of auto focus

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, had the crazy mirror which stopped after I took out the battery, restart was fine but after taking maybe a dozen images the camera switched to manual focus, no way to get back auto focus that I can find, message when turning camera on is input focal length, cleaned contacts on lens (pentax 100mm f2.8) and camera, no change, thoughts?

07-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This behavior is unacceptable. Send it back to CRIS under warranty with the aforementioned problem. These kind of issues with the K3 are bringing down the value of used K3 in the marketplace.
07-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cminer52 Quote
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, had the crazy mirror which stopped after I took out the battery, restart was fine but after taking maybe a dozen images the camera switched to manual focus, no way to get back auto focus that I can find, message when turning camera on is input focal length, cleaned contacts on lens (pentax 100mm f2.8) and camera, no change, thoughts?
Check a different lens to determine if the fault is in the camera or lens.
Clean the contacts on both, and check to make sure all the contacts are present.
Verify that the camera is indeed in AF mode. Move the lever to MF and back to AF to make sure it is not stuck part way between.
Make sure the lens is in the 'A' position if it has an aperture ring.
07-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
I bought the camera used from B&H in May, didn't receive any warranty card, tried various lenses and no go, this happened with a lens on the body so nothing to do with missing contacts, will check with B&H Monday to see what the options are.

07-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

the camera switched to manual focus, no way to get back auto focus that I can find, message when turning camera on is input focal length
This indicates that the lens and body are not communicating. It has nothing to do with autofocus - the body's AF system would likely work fine IF it knew an AF lens was attached. Apparently, it doesn't.
07-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
Brooke Meyer

You may have a faulty camera. My experience is, it doesn't take much to interfere with lens & camera contacts.

My gear is heavily used. If I stick to routine, the lens and body flanges in my bag get a wipe down the night before a shoot. Picked up a big white Canon cloth years ago and it always comes away with some black smudge from the lens and camera flanges. If I get busy and break my pre shoot routine, every once in awhile, the lens isn't seen or the focus goes wacky, especially on my Tamron 28-75.

Doesn't matter if SDM or screw drive. I've had it happen with the Tamron 28-75, DA 12-24, DA 50-135, DA 17-70, pair of K-5s and pair K5IIs's. I wipe off both surfaces ( sometimes with my shirt), remount and usually ok. Once in a while, I have had to fully twist the lens to pick up contacts.

I probably average 100K exposures a year and I don't baby my gear. In any case, regardless of model, it's a good practice to do a gear check ( batteries, memory cards) and a flange wipe down before a shoot. Humidity, oxidation, temperature, changes , etc are enough, it doesn't have to be off the camera to have a problem.
07-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, I am going with faulty camera, have tried the wipedown, lenses work fine on the k200d, k3 is just not recognizing lens or auto focus.

07-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am going with faulty camera
I concur

Steve