Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #1

K-3 and FA lens problem

I have a problem, and can't seem to find an answer. I thought I'd see if anyone here has a solution for me. I'm not an expert by any means, so perhaps what I want to do isn't even possible.
About 12 years ago, I purchased a Pentax FA 100mmF4.7 - 300mmF.8 lens. (that's what it says on the box. On the lens itself, it says SMC Pentax-FA 1:4.7-5.8 100-300 mm). I don't remember the camera model I purchased it for - it was a film SLR though.
About 8 years ago, I got a Pentax K100; I wanted to try digital photography and I had read that my older lenses would work with the new camera. It did, I was happy! Later, I got a Pentax K200 - the lens worked with this camera too.
But my faithful lens does not work with the K-3. I'm about to go on a trip to the Rockies and really wanted this lens to work on my new camera. Any help or suggestions you have would be helpful, and I appreciate your help.

08-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Could you explain what you mean by "does not work"?

Steve
08-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
I can attach the lens as usual. The autofocus feature doesn't focus or anything. When I press the button, nothing happens at all (no sound, no lens movement). I thought that perhaps the autofocus simply didn't work. So I switched it to manual focus. Obviously, I could then focus clearly, but again when I press the button nothing happens. So the camera is unable to take a picture with this lens. I hope that explains my problem better.
08-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

do your adapture ring set to A, or the k-3 do custom to allow the use adapture ring?

08-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Detach lens, reattach, and make sure it 'clicks'. I've had similar problems with fa lenses. They do work, but sometimes need a couple of attempts at attaching them. Could of course be that the focussing has broken for some reason?
08-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have set the aperture ring to A.
However your suggestion to Custom and mentioning Aperture made me look carefully at the custom settings. And voila - problem solved! Thanks ever so much!
In case anyone else has this problem, I went to Menu, then Custom, then page 4. The last item is 27: Using Aperture Ring. Select Enable.

---------- Post added 08-08-14 at 11:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Detach lens, reattach, and make sure it 'clicks'. I've had similar problems with fa lenses. They do work, but sometimes need a couple of attempts at attaching them. Could of course be that the focussing has broken for some reason?
I'd been able to attach the lens properly and I got a newer lens c.2009 to work. I did manage to follow another piece of advice - but thanks so much for your suggestion. I was getting desperate!
08-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmd017 Quote
I went to Menu, then Custom, then page 4. The last item is 27: Using Aperture Ring. Select Enable.
If the lens was indeed in the 'A' position this setting should not matter. It only comes into play if the aperture ring is NOT in the 'A' position for some reason. I suspect either the aperture ring was not entirely clicked into 'A' or the contacts on the lens had a little tarnish on them. Taking the lens off and back on may have either resulted in proper alignment of the contacts or enough movement to clean them and allow good contact.

I suggest you take a micro-fiber cloth and buff the lens contacts a bit just to make sure they are making good electrical contact.

08-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If the lens was indeed in the 'A' position this setting should not matter.
Yep, make sure the contacts are clean, the lens fully engaged on the mount, and the aperture ring in the appropriate position ("A" position for almost all purposes). If aperture ring is "enabled", it important to note whether the camera is properly detecting the lens. The AF may work regardless, but the same is not true for the metering. When on the "A" position you NOT should see "F___" in the top LCD indicating that the body is not controlling the aperture.

Steve