Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Flu card and kindle workaround

I know now that kindle is not one of the devices supported with the flu card. I know this now, but it worked when I first got the flu card. It worked fine, it worked great, I took a ton of pictures. Then I did the k-3 firmware upgrade and it didn't work anymore. So I contacted flu-card and pentax. Pentax gave me a link for an upgrade to the flu card firmware and that blew out the card and it lost the mac address. So they told me to contact adorama and I got a new card. All this time I am saying it worked on the kindle before, it worked fine, I have pictures I took with remote capture, no one said it was not supported. Until today. Pentax suggested I use a smart phone, which I am probably the only one in the world who doesn't have one *gasp* (because I have a kindle)

Has anyone been able to get flu card interface to work on kindle, or downloaded a browser other than silk and been able to use it? I do get the link, the interface on the web browser and the shutter goes off, the image is just black.

08-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Unregistered User

Have you tried different resolutions of the jpegs? My Sony can't read the larger sizes when downloaded to the phone with the Pentax Flucard BUT if I put the exact same files on the SD-card in the phone via the computer the phone reads the files just fine.
08-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no, I can't use the browser, but these seems to be an issue with the interface. I even tried on my mac laptop with chrome or safari and I can get everything up, get to remote capture and then it says ""The operation could not be completed correctly" so this has got to be a pentax or card issue. I have a request into them, but it is aggravating getting any type of help. They said it was a kindle issue, but since it doesn't work on my mac, I am doubtful.
08-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thinking of just the Kindle, I would suspect there are two possible things going against you.

1. Kindle doesn't run a typical version of Android, so the OS may have something working against you. The app you are using could be a related issue. I'm not sure if Kindle gives you access to other browsers (like you might have through the Google Play store on a more standard Android device), but you just might try one if you can. Most browsers have free versions if they are available.

2. Kindle devices are not usually the best hardware either. There might be compatibility issues.

You did mention you were having issues with your Mac. Could be coincidental or it could be the Flu card itself.

08-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It worked before with first flu card and I was able to use the kindle and Mac. Then I updated firmware on k-3 and I could not get it to work. I was then sent a link from pentax to upgrade firmware on the card and that like blew out the card, it would not read the card in the camera, it would not give me a Mac address. So pentax suggested I contact adorama, who replaced the card.I am having the same issue I am wondering if maybe I can revert and remove firmware upgrade from the pentax and see if that is the issue? I can't believe 2 flu cards are bad, I guess it could be. I also have a tower Mac I can test on. I would chalk it up to user error but my husband does networking and he said the connection aspect is fine on the card. I can get to the interface I just can't take a photo with it. If it is user error I can't figure out where the mistake is being made.
08-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Someone with same issue as me, don't know if this was resolved but this is in the community forum at Pentax
FLU card problem - RIAC Community
08-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have to update, just because I think it is funny. Maybe no one will see this, but pentax claims they have not had anyone else experience this issue. Well, at least that link I posted has another person with this issue. Not sure what the issue is yet, could be something really silly, but I am having no luck, changed every channel, reset transfer settings, set the camera not to turn off for 30 minutes, and I still get a blank screen, although the shutter fires and takes a picture and saves it on the card.

08-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I have to update, just because I think it is funny. Maybe no one will see this, but pentax claims they have not had anyone else experience this issue. Well, at least that link I posted has another person with this issue. Not sure what the issue is yet, could be something really silly, but I am having no luck, changed every channel, reset transfer settings, set the camera not to turn off for 30 minutes, and I still get a blank screen, although the shutter fires and takes a picture and saves it on the card.
Any more news? I have K3, flucard and Kindle HD FIRE that work together exactly as advertised. BUT, I am running K3 firmware 1.03. Having read of your experience I am reluctant to upgrade until I know I wont live to regret it!
08-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reallybothered Quote
Any more news? I have K3, flucard and Kindle HD FIRE that work together exactly as advertised. BUT, I am running K3 firmware 1.03. Having read of your experience I am reluctant to upgrade until I know I wont live to regret it!
I got help in another thread, I haven't tested on kindle yet, but it turns out that under the menu with camera symbol, then number 3, under live view, image compensation needs to be unchecked. I tested that in a few browsers and I get a view in live view now. I am on firmware 1.11.
08-29-2014, 02:50 AM   #10

I got help in another thread, I haven't tested on kindle yet, but it turns out that under the menu with camera symbol, then number 3, under live view, image compensation needs to be unchecked. I tested that in a few browsers and I get a view in live view now. I am on firmware 1.11.
OK, this morning I upgraded to 1.11 and tried the flu card and Kindle. As before, the combination works just as advertised. I plan to use it a lot over the next few weeks and will post any issues found on this thread. For now I think the Kindle (Chrome browser) works fine with the K3 and flu card. Thanks for the feedback Murfy.
08-29-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reallybothered Quote
OK, this morning I upgraded to 1.11 and tried the flu card and Kindle. As before, the combination works just as advertised. I plan to use it a lot over the next few weeks and will post any issues found on this thread. For now I think the Kindle (Chrome browser) works fine with the K3 and flu card. Thanks for the feedback Murfy.
How do you get chrome on kindle? I use dolphin because I couldn't find any others
08-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #12

How do you get chrome on kindle? I use dolphin because I couldn't find any others
There are a number of utube videos showing how. Try this one
. I've had Chrome installed all this year (since I got the Flucard) and it's fine on my Kindle FIRE HD.
11-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just did this and it worked perfect on my new Kindle Fire HD. :-)

Next, have to try the flu card soon!