Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Using a Flucard for lens calibration.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I discovered that it is very useful.

First setup your calibration device. I used a tape measure and a brightly printed cup. The tripod was set at about 30 degrees, close to the minimum focus distance for the lens.

Establish a connection with the card, set live view off. Make sure the lens is out of focus.

Press the AF button on the camera. It will focus using pdaf.

Touch the LV button on the screen. The focus peaking will show you how much adjustment is needed. A white band shows the region in focus.

Rinse and repeat. Far quicker and easier to see than finding the focus transitions on an image, especially on a small screen. I used my tablet and the large image was very clear. Usually this process requires transferring images to a computer for examination, and the process takes a long time and is somewhat tedious.

Remember to switch out of LV mode otherwise it uses contrast detect which needs no adjustment.

08-25-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, a good way to do it fast.

But I don't have a K-3. Only an ''old'' K-5IIs.

So, I use a 7'' external Monitor, connected through HDMI, that I've bought for about 130 Euros, which has focus peeking in it, and can be used in many situation, especially for video.
08-25-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Yes, a good way to do it fast.

But I don't have a K-3. Only an ''old'' K-5IIs.

So, I use a 7'' external Monitor, connected through HDMI, that I've bought for about 130 Euros, which has focus peeking in it, and can be used in many situation, especially for video.
Name and model of the monitor please?
08-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The name is Feelworld. Model..? Nothing on the monitor, and I can't find the box. I've bought it from Ebay UK, last winter, and I think that until now they have new models. I will look to Ebay again, maybe I can give you a better indication.

08-26-2014, 02:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This is the monitor:

Portable HD 7Inch On Camera Field Monitor DSLR HDMI Canon LP-E6 Adapter Video | eBay
08-26-2014, 05:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I did the same thing in the past with a 7" Lilliput, also with focus peaking, and the K-5/II bodies. I used it for shooting a large group in a gym with the camera on a balcony. However, this year with the K3 , Flucard and an iPad, I was able to be down on the floor, herding the subjects into the frame and positioning them precisely. The 24mp detail on a group shot is also amazing.
08-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I did the same thing in the past with a 7" Lilliput, also with focus peaking, and the K-5/II bodies. I used it for shooting a large group in a gym with the camera on a balcony. However, this year with the K3 , Flucard and an iPad, I was able to be down on the floor, herding the subjects into the frame and positioning them precisely. The 24mp detail on a group shot is also amazing.
Yes, K-3 certainly offer more facilities, and more MP. I can't shutter the camera, or change some settings through the monitor, as can be done with Flucard. But as many others has done, I have decided to wait for something even better. And it seems that's a long wait.

08-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wireless remote shutter releases are cheap, and I generally don't change the settings so those features are not a big deal to me. However, being able to walk away from the camera and see what is going on is very important. I'm a late adopter as well, and I did not buy a K3 until it had been out almost a year. The next thing is probably around the corner.
08-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I had an infrared remote, but I prefer the cable release, cause I don't need to look for it in my pockets every time.