Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm also considering selling a couple cameras, K-5 and K-01 to get a KS-1. For the same reason, I carry a lot, but I carry too much. All the sudden my focus is on lightening my load. Weight is great when you can do it, but once you just physically can't do it anymore, every once becomes critical. I'd really like to know about the low light performance of the KS-1 though before I do anything radical. The K-5 and K-01 are exceptional cameras.
For the same reasons I experimented extensively with NEX cameras including the latest A6000. They are excellent, light cameras. The main weakness was they did not have lenses to equal the range available (and that I already have) for K mount. This past summer I decided to let the sony equipment go and just stick with my K3 and K01 and the wonderful k-mount lenses. It now looks like the KS-1 may give me most of what I had with the sony cameras but let me make full use of my Pentax lenses. By the way, the A6000, with EVF, was the best manual focusing system I have ever had (including the old MX split screen). I won't get that with the KS-1 but I would like the small dslr size. I would not, however, give up the K-3 as my main camera.

11-05-2014, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #122
Veteran Member

Everyone thought the KS-1 was for the young and hip. Maybe Pentax released it for the older folks! (Japan does have one of the oldest populations in the world.)
11-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
For the same reasons I experimented extensively with NEX cameras including the latest A6000. They are excellent, light cameras. The main weakness was they did not have lenses to equal the range available (and that I already have) for K mount. This past summer I decided to let the sony equipment go and just stick with my K3 and K01 and the wonderful k-mount lenses. It now looks like the KS-1 may give me most of what I had with the sony cameras but let me make full use of my Pentax lenses. By the way, the A6000, with EVF, was the best manual focusing system I have ever had (including the old MX split screen). I won't get that with the KS-1 but I would like the small dslr size. I would not, however, give up the K-3 as my main camera.
I've been very pleased so far with the results I've gotten with the K-S1, you can see some sample shots I took in the K-S1 section. I suppose it helps to be only shooting with light-weight primes (24mm f2.8, 31, 35 macro, 77). I haven't done any real low-light photos, don't have much opportunity for it. I have taken some high ISO shots and was pleased - the noise at ISO 3200 through ISO 6400 is easily dealt with. The ISO 10000 is OK in a pinch - at least as good as the K3 and probably a slight bit better, though I didn't take any comparison pictures. I haven't tried any long shutter speed photos yet, perhaps tomorrow.
11-05-2014, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #124

I adore my K3! I would only consider moving to FF if Ricoh went the mirrorless route alla the Sony A7.

11-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
If you can manage the double camera investment, why not wait and see how the Nikon kit grows on you? You know, after the honeymoon is over, so to speak. Lots of people report still revisiting their Pentax kit even after "going FF".

Regards,
--Anders.
I would love to and that was my plan. I was thinking of selling all bar the K3, FA31 and FA77 as I love these so much. But these are also the bigger ticket items actually worth selling. But I don't HAVE to sell them. The Nikon gear is already funded.

Yeah... I'm too sentimentality attached to my Pentax kit to sell it all off.
11-11-2014, 09:47 AM - 2 Likes   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Basicly I love my K-01 more and the K-5 can do all the tricks I want (most of the time).
also since I bought his K3 Silver...
11-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #127
Veteran Member

If Pentax makes a FF will my lenses work correctly?

11-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Depends on whether your lenses are FF-ready. Other users may correct me if I'm wrong, but the DA and DA* series are made for APS-C and will technically work on FF cameras, but result in heavy vignetting, unless the camera features a crop mode. All old Pentax lenses from the film era plus all the modern FA limiteds should work.

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 11-12-2014 at 04:18 PM.
11-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #129
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any vintage K-mount lens (pre-DA) will work since they all have an image circle appropriate for 35mm film. Pentax-DA lenses were designed for APS-C format and usually have a significantly smaller image circle appropriate for that format. The result is that most DA lenses will vignette when used on a K-mount 35mm film camera or with 35mm FF digital. Where things get muddy is that many DA lenses have very little vignette on 35mm FF. Whether they are usable is a matter of your tolerance for darker corners.

Steve
11-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I didn't think I was ordering anything. I was thinking seriously about ordering it, and was checking prices at B&H, Adorama and Amazon, but had just decided to wait until Black Friday before buying it, to make sure that I REALLY wanted it. I was at work and using my personal iPad. Someone came into the office and I fumbled a bit as I was quickly trying to put the iPad away, feeling very noble that I was not going to buy the camera right now. When I got home that evening there was an email from Amazon saying "thank you for your order." I had 1-click turned on and must have accidentally hit that button when I was fumbling. After sleeping on it for a night, I decided the old saying was correct - "a camera in the hand is worth two in the store" and decided to keep the camera rather than returning it.
Wow!! Excellent! I tried that with the K3 but my wife had locked that button!!

---------- Post added 11-11-14 at 14:16 ----------

From your lens list I guess, and it's only a guess, that only the zooms won't cover FF.
11-11-2014, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #131
Inactive Account

Congratulations

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
how is it working out? I got second place in a local vegas magazine's photo contest with it. So not too bad
congrats!
11-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very happy with the K-3 IQ and handling. The K-3 plus DA* 60-250mm is a dream setup. The K-3 is a good choice to pair with my Nikon D800 for events. The Nikon D800 is just a killer camera, but the K-3 is able to "keep up". Note that I'm likely to upgrade to the D810 sometime next year. And if a new K-3 MKII comes out, I will definitely upgrade that as well. If/when the Ricoh GR MKII comes out at 24Mp then I will likely be tempted to add a third system to my kit as well. All in all, I don't mind mixing brands. All my equipment use the same Arca quick release plates, tripods, macro attachments, ND and CPL filters, flash and softboxes, and all share the same RAW processing (DxO). I no longer need to worry about getting excellent results with my various systems. It is a great time to be a photographer!

M
11-12-2014, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
very happy with the K-3 IQ and handling. The K-3 plus DA* 60-250mm is a dream setup. The K-3 is a good choice to pair with my Nikon D800 for events. The Nikon D800 is just a killer camera, but the K-3 is able to "keep up". Note that I'm likely to upgrade to the D810 sometime next year. And if a new K-3 MKII comes out, I will definitely upgrade that as well. If/when the Ricoh GR MKII comes out at 24Mp then I will likely be tempted to add a third system to my kit as well. All in all, I don't mind mixing brands. All my equipment use the same Arca quick release plates, tripods, macro attachments, ND and CPL filters, flash and softboxes, and all share the same RAW processing (DxO). I no longer need to worry about getting excellent results with my various systems. It is a great time to be a photographer!

M
You are absolutely correct about the time.
11-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Depends on weather your lenses are FF-ready. Other users may correct me if I'm wrong, but the DA and DA* series are made for APS-C and will technically work on FF cameras, but result in heavy vignetting, unless the camera features a crop mode. All old Pentax lenses from the film era plus all the modern FA limiteds should work.
Guess I should hold on to my old lenses...yep.
11-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #135
Pentaxian

I've been primarily a K-01 shooter (3 bodies) since the end of 2012 (portraiture, landscapes, weddings, events, conventions, still life) and overall I was pretty happy with the results I was getting. There were certainly times here and there that I really would have liked snappier AF or more megapixels for cropping purposes but for the most part I felt like I was getting by just fine. I didn't think that the improvements in the K-3 would be that noticeable so I kept holding off. I was also secretly hoping that Ricoh would greenlight a successor to the K-01 or would at least announce their own Ricoh branded mirrorless body with K mount support but that doesn't seem likely to happen any time soon. So when the deals started popping up for the K-3 I decided to take the plunge since I had the money and even though it's only been a month I'm really glad I did. The body feels robust and solid without being overly large (even with the grip which I use all the time). A friend of mine who has the 5D Mark III even commented that he preferred the look and feel of the K-3 over his Canon and was totally shocked when I told him how much I paid for it. I didn't think I would but I really do like all those extra megapixels, the better AF, and the more accurate AWB. I also think going from 12 bit to 14 has made a difference as well. So in conclusion the K-3 is working out great for me.

Last edited by LeRolls; 11-12-2014 at 11:08 PM.