Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Viewing the focus points used by the camera

Hi,

I am trying to find out whether it is possible to view the focus points used by the camera in the JPG or RAW (PEF) images? I have used Canon DSLRs in the past and the software that came with the camera (DPP) shows the focal points used by the camera.

-Emsee

09-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that some information is stored in the EXIF data, certainly in so far as my K-5 is concerned.
See for instance:
AFPointMode Auto
AFPointSelected Auto
AFPointSelected2 Auto
AFPointsInFocus Top
09-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What software are you using to view your pictures?

I know that in Aperture, the K3 focus points are not registering (neither do the K7's and Q's) but it does work fine with the K5 and Kr photos.
09-04-2014, 01:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

PhotoMe used to visually show the focus point used in an image, as a graphical overlay on the image preview. That worked up until the K-5, if memory serves. But PhotoMe is now out of date, unfortunately.

It would be nice if PDCU 5 or Lightroom had this feature.

Someone with coding skills could probably do something similar without much trouble, I suspect. The data is all there in the EXIF.

09-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
What software are you using to view your pictures?

I know that in Aperture, the K3 focus points are not registering (neither do the K7's and Q's) but it does work fine with the K5 and Kr photos.
Currently I use Lightroom 5.6 for processing. During my Canon days, I used DPP which shows the focus points.
09-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote
I am trying to find out whether it is possible to view the focus points used by the camera in the JPG or RAW (PEF) images?
QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote
Currently I use Lightroom 5.6 for processing. During my Canon days, I used DPP which shows the focus points.
The data are in the exif, but are not displayed by Lightroom. You can display the values using ExifTool or ExifToolGUI. As rawr noted, it may possible to write a Lightroom plug-in using the ExifTool api, that would show it graphically. You might also be interested in the ExifMeta plug-in for Lightroom that allows library filtering and smart collections based on exif values.

robcole.com - ExifMetaLrPlugin

Steve
04-18-2015, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Old thread but i stumbled upon a focus points plugin for Lightroom. Of course neither K-5 nor K-3 are supported by this plugin but I sent feedback and requested these to be added.
Perhaps if more people requests Pentax cameras to be added it'll happen.

Show Focus Points Plugin for Lightroom

04-18-2015, 05:42 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Samoht Quote
plugin for Lightroom. Of course neither K-5 nor K-3 are supported
Perhaps if more people requests Pentax cameras to be added it'll happen.
This does look like a very useful plugin. I have also sent a feedback to request future Pentax support.
04-18-2015, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #9

Not a "must know".

For some of us it might be useful to aid troubleshooting and when analyzing photos, to learn about the camera and possibly improve technique and settings.

As with all things, if you wouldn't/don't find it useful then don't use/download it.

There are lots of settings and adjustments in editing software and the camera that I see no use for and don't use but I am sure many people find them useful.

Last edited by Stumpy; 04-18-2015 at 06:15 AM.
04-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Viewing the active focus points is not a 'must know', but may be useful in a variety of ways. For example, in checking which AF-C option is working best, or diagnosing why some images may have missed focus. Generally answering the question: what did the camera focus on?

It's nice to see the focus points displayed in two places: on the computer, and on the rear LCD of the camera during image playback (as some Nikon cameras allow).

Viewing the active AF points while chimping is a particularly useful way to check that your AF is working as you want it to, so that you can immediately make any corrections you need to your settings or technique.
04-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

sometime it helps to trouble shoot if you actually did miss placing the target correctly as well.