Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Mirror Lockup

Are we still seeing this issue....looks like not much discussion after July 2014

09-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A recent firmware update mentions something that many assumed was a fix for this. It has only happened to be twice, and not since the firmware update. I guess you cannot prove a negative but so far no problems here.
09-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
A recent firmware update mentions something that many assumed was a fix for this. It has only happened to be twice, and not since the firmware update. I guess you cannot prove a negative but so far no problems here.
Thanks!! I'm still a bit nervous about buying a K3...
09-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it has happen to me once since the update so still not ready to say the problem is gone...was doing 3 pictures for hdr when it happen

09-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lewisglick Quote
Thanks!! I'm still a bit nervous about buying a K3...
Why? Genuinely curious as the mirror flappy thing is really not IMHO much of an issue. Granted in a perfect world it should not happen, but reason to not buy a camera, no. I now have 15,640 actuations on my k-3 and twice it has flapped the mirror. No other lockups, freezes or anything. I do not have many things that work 100% of the time, but the k-3 comes close.

But you are, I think, the third or fourth new member in the last few days to ask a similar question. So, genuinely curious where is all the FUD coming from?
09-05-2014, 04:50 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I sent mine k-3 to service regarding problem with crazy mirror issue. Funny thing is they did not even know that this is happening to k-3. I am waiting to get my camera back, the only thing they did was loading new firmware.
09-05-2014, 05:04 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Why? Genuinely curious as the mirror flappy thing is really not IMHO much of an issue. Granted in a perfect world it should not happen, but reason to not buy a camera, no. I now have 15,640 actuations on my k-3 and twice it has flapped the mirror. No other lockups, freezes or anything. I do not have many things that work 100% of the time, but the k-3 comes close.

But you are, I think, the third or fourth new member in the last few days to ask a similar question. So, genuinely curious where is all the FUD coming from?
It's part of the research process of buying a new camera. I have a K10D....oldie but goodie....I can understand discussions on image quality, auto focus, battery life, etc...., but this is an unusual issue. I'll hold off a few weeks to see if the firmware update resolves the problem.

09-05-2014, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's part of the research process of buying a new camera. I have a K10D....oldie but goodie....I can understand discussions on image quality, auto focus, battery life, etc...., but this is an unusual issue. I'll hold off a few weeks to see if the firmware update resolves the problem.
Th k10d also had a generic issue that affected many (only if you believe web rhetoric) k10d's

If you change lens with the camera switched on it has a habit of blowing the main internal fuse, Did this devastating 'fault' spoil your photography as you waited fro the curse to blight your camera ?

I have 5 SDM lens ranging from 6years old to 4 years old 1 has 'failed' and been repaired ..... I don't buy into the 'sudden death motors'
I have a k3 that has 23,000 shutter actuation's , It locked up once on first battery cycle and has never glitched or faltered since.

If you consider Pentax probably sell at least 5,000 k3's worldwide per month that's about 60,000 units sold.
so with 140 reported issues here that 0.2% now that is probably no were near the true figure but gives you some perspective on the extent of the 'design issue'

Of those 140, very few get multiple occurrences with many only seeing problems during the batteries 'bed in' period.

there currently is supposed to be a 'factory fit' base firmware fix
user firmware 1.11 has code to ameliorate the issue (stops multiple flops)
09-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Th k10d also had a generic issue that affected many (only if you believe web rhetoric) k10d's

If you change lens with the camera switched on it has a habit of blowing the main internal fuse, Did this devastating 'fault' spoil your photography as you waited fro the curse to blight your camera ?

I have 5 SDM lens ranging from 6years old to 4 years old 1 has 'failed' and been repaired ..... I don't buy into the 'sudden death motors'
I have a k3 that has 23,000 shutter actuation's , It locked up once on first battery cycle and has never glitched or faltered since.

If you consider Pentax probably sell at least 5,000 k3's worldwide per month that's about 60,000 units sold.
so with 140 reported issues here that 0.2% now that is probably no were near the true figure but gives you some perspective on the extent of the 'design issue'

Of those 140, very few get multiple occurrences with many only seeing problems during the batteries 'bed in' period.

there currently is supposed to be a 'factory fit' base firmware fix
user firmware 1.11 has code to ameliorate the issue (stops multiple flops)
Thanks! You offer some good info and thoughts....I may be jumping on the negative bandwagon too quickly!
09-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks! You offer some good info and thoughts....I may be jumping on the negative bandwagon too quickly!
Research is all good and to be expected. I was more curious as to where you got the impression that there were any significant issues with the k-3. Having been on this forum through a number of camera launches I have come to expect a preponderance of negative posts about anything Pentax releases. (Take a look at the K-S1 thread, the camera is obviously flawed and will be a complete flop, according to the forum posters).

But the k-3, almost uniquely, was greeted with overwhelming enthusiasm and almost zero reports of any issues or complaints. All in all a stellar launch for Pentax. Yet, again and again I see posters come here saying they will not buy a k-3 as it is 'flawed'. So I am curious what posts or articles have you read that would lead you to think getting a k-3 would be a bad idea?
09-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Research is all good and to be expected. I was more curious as to where you got the impression that there were any significant issues with the k-3. Having been on this forum through a number of camera launches I have come to expect a preponderance of negative posts about anything Pentax releases. (Take a look at the K-S1 thread, the camera is obviously flawed and will be a complete flop, according to the forum posters).

But the k-3, almost uniquely, was greeted with overwhelming enthusiasm and almost zero reports of any issues or complaints. All in all a stellar launch for Pentax. Yet, again and again I see posters come here saying they will not buy a k-3 as it is 'flawed'. So I am curious what posts or articles have you read that would lead you to think getting a k-3 would be a bad idea?
The only issue I have read about is the mirror lockup problem. Reading the posts on this forum was the first time I was aware of this issue. All of the reviews on different camera sites, especially BH, are 5 stars out of 5!
I was ready to purchase but this gave me some cause of concern.... I don't believe that the camera is "flawed"....I was just concerned and it made me stop to consider other options.
No significant issues other then this. I grew up and learned on Pentax film cameras, and I currently use a K10D that I have been extremely happy with. I was considering the K5 series at one time, but glad I waited.
My K10D is just getting so old and it's def time for an upgrade.
I'm not a professional but I shoot 2-3 times a week, almost every week.

---------- Post added 09-05-14 at 01:40 PM ----------

On another note....the images in your gallery are excellent and I enjoyed viewing them!
09-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
Unregistered User

The only issue I have read about is the mirror lockup problem. Reading the posts on this forum was the first time I was aware of this issue. All of the reviews on different camera sites, especially BH, are 5 stars out of 5!
I was ready to purchase but this gave me some cause of concern.... I don't believe that the camera is "flawed"....I was just concerned and it made me stop to consider other options.
No significant issues other then this. I grew up and learned on Pentax film cameras, and I currently use a K10D that I have been extremely happy with. I was considering the K5 series at one time, but glad I waited.
My K10D is just getting so old and it's def time for an upgrade.
I'm not a professional but I shoot 2-3 times a week, almost every week.

---------- Post added 09-05-14 at 01:40 PM ----------

On another note....the images in your gallery are excellent and I enjoyed viewing them!
Buy the damn camera It is a really nice piece of engineering. It is more difficult to use in the beginning due to the really high pixel density, i.e it is more prone to camera shake compared to the K10d or K-5 but when you shape up your technique it is a breeze. The same problem that the Nikon D800 users experience.

The K-5 also had this flutter problem and I had it ONE time.

With the K-3 I have had it two or three times. I really donīt remember because it is about 25000 photos ago it happened the last time. My shutter count is about 39-40000 today.

Compared to the K10d it is a dream come true... (I loved my K10d and then my K-5. The K-3 is like christmas every day.)

For some samples, check my Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thomashedlund/
09-05-2014, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Buy the damn camera It is a really nice piece of engineering. It is more difficult to use in the beginning due to the really high pixel density, i.e it is more prone to camera shake compared to the K10d or K-5 but when you shape up your technique it is a breeze. The same problem that the Nikon D800 users experience.

The K-5 also had this flutter problem and I had it ONE time.

With the K-3 I have had it two or three times. I really donīt remember because it is about 25000 photos ago it happened the last time. My shutter count is about 39-40000 today.

Compared to the K10d it is a dream come true... (I loved my K10d and then my K-5. The K-3 is like christmas every day.)

For some samples, check my Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thomashedlund/
OK.....I'll buy the damn camera already!!!!
Thanks!!
09-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reading the posts on this forum was the first time I was aware of this issue. All of the reviews on different camera sites, especially BH, are 5 stars out of 5!
Thanks for the information, it verifies a theory I have.

I suspect that the #1 Pentax oriented forum on the internet is actually hurting Pentax sales. Instead of being a fan site it is in realty an anti-Pentax site dedicated to discouraging people from buying into the brand. </SARC> </JOKE> (sort of)
09-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Are we still seeing this issue....looks like not much discussion after July 2014
Mirror lockup?

I don't believe there has been a pervasive issue of mirror lockup on the K-3. The K-50 has had some problems in that area, however. Many of us have had a total system freeze. Is that the problem you are talking about? The only mirror issue is the runnaway/crazy/flapping mirror that was reported this winter. There are threads devoted to monitoring that issue. It is also rumored that the more recent firmware update contains a fix.

Steve

---------- Post added 09-05-14 at 02:54 PM ----------

That is a very real possibility.

Steve