Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K3 BG5 Grip

I just received my new K3 today, and all I can say is wow! Definitely a big upgrade from the K10D/K20D that I have been using.

I had a question about the grip though. I use a grip with all of my cameras dating back to the LX and this K3 is no exception. The one thing that I did notice with this grip is that even after I tighten the grip all of the way onto the camera there is still a wiggle in the attachment wheel. The grip itself is tight to the camera, just the wheel has some play in it. It's not a big deal, but when handling the camera, if I brush the wheel it rattles slightly and has a cheap feel to it. I checked all of my other Pentax cameras and this is the only one that does that and I was wondering if is the same for everyone or just this one.

Thanks,
Steve

09-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
I just received my new K3 today, and all I can say is wow! Definitely a big upgrade from the K10D/K20D that I have been using.

I had a question about the grip though. I use a grip with all of my cameras dating back to the LX and this K3 is no exception. The one thing that I did notice with this grip is that even after I tighten the grip all of the way onto the camera there is still a wiggle in the attachment wheel. The grip itself is tight to the camera, just the wheel has some play in it. It's not a big deal, but when handling the camera, if I brush the wheel it rattles slightly and has a cheap feel to it. I checked all of my other Pentax cameras and this is the only one that does that and I was wondering if is the same for everyone or just this one.

Thanks,
Steve
My grip on the k3 is exactly the same the wheel rattles.
09-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm away from home, but I don't remember mine rattling. I tightened it to the point where it takes quite a little effort to unscrew it, so I think i would have noticed any rattling while using it or touching it...
09-05-2014, 12:51 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'm away from home, but I don't remember mine rattling. I tightened it to the point where it takes quite a little effort to unscrew it, so I think i would have noticed any rattling while using it or touching it...
The same for mine

09-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just checked mine, there is about 3/4 mm play when tightened, which I had not noticed before. Looks like many are like this.
09-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone, looks like I'm not the only one with this and it only really bugs me when I hold the camera in the portrait orientation because my fingers rests on the screw. I wonder what kind of connection there is between the wheel and the screw that would allow the wheel to move when the screw is obviously in tight. Well since I only have to take the grip off to change the battery in the camera (and mount on my bellows) hopefully it won't see much wear and tear.
09-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine has a very slight bit but nothing that is noticeable unless you REALLY try to move it.

09-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Mine does the same thing, It probably has something to do with how they had to put It together.
The wheel probably has a Key slot In it for the screw. They probably slid the wheel in place then Inserted the screw into the wheel. This does two things, 1: it makes it easier to put together. 2: it relieves the pressure on the wheel and keeps it from breaking.

I would not worry about it.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.