01-05-2015, 03:17 AM   #136

Photos: Albums
Hello Pentaxian's,

my favorite "triumvirat" for outdoor is:

DA 15mm F4 Limited
DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited
DA 70mm F2.4 Limited

for shooting at Street I use:

DA 35mm F2.4, DA 50 F1.8 or simply my GR Digital (III).

Especially on Street I carry only one lens/camera because size and weight matters. I tend to shoot street the whole day without to chance a lens. Don't ask me why ;-)

01-05-2015, 04:03 AM   #137

QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
When using either the Canon or the Nikon I was aware most photographers referred to 3 lenses as the basic, must have lenses; the 14mm-24mm, the 24-70mm , and the 70-200mm; They called this the Holy Trinity of lenses. Is it the same for Pentax cameras If not, what 3 zoom lenses would be thought of in the same way?
Mariakruse
The 'trinity' isn't true for Canon, who don't have an obvious alternative to Nikon's 14-24mm. However it's unusual to find Canon professionals who don't own the 24-70mm and 70-200mm pair ... but the choice of third 'main' lens varies enormously (with a 50mm being a common choice for full-framers).

Prime-oriented full-framers often have the 35/50/85 trinity as their key lenses.

I'm new to Pentax, but the trinity I'm aiming to use for people shots (fashion and portraiture)
30mm f/1.4 (Sigma)
50mm FA f/1.4
100mm 2.8 Macro (Samsung == Pentax)

And for weddings:
17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 (Sigma)
100mm 2.8 Macro
with the 30mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.4 on standby for when the available light fail.

For hiking:
17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 (Sigma)
70-300mm f/4-5.6 (Tamron) (not the best lens I know, but sometimes I just want the reach and don't care about the quality so much)
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DA AL WR for when I don't want to risk the other lenses in the rain

Last edited by NeilGratton; 01-05-2015 at 04:35 AM.
01-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #138
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I have a little difference in this trio, but basicly working on the same. So for me they are:
  • Pentax FA 31mm/f1.8 Ltd.
  • Pentax DA*55mm/f1.4
  • Pentax FA*85mm/f1.4

Basicly all you need.
And I took the descision to sell other lenses and only kept these three and the DA*300mm for sports.
01-06-2015, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Hey folks, I do not know how you manage changing primes on photo locations, especially in dusty / windy places?? Also using just 3-primes, say 15 mm, 77 mm and 200 mm leaves huge gaps in between when talking about a trinity of lenses. Very limiting focal length choice too - can be a disaster photographically.
I seriously think talking about and using a trinity of lenses is suicide????

A trinity of Zoom Lenses are ideal, especially when todays zooms are pretty sharp & fast too. I rely on the fastest available zooms:- a) 10-20, b) 17-50 and c) 55-300 on my travels abroad. So I have all my bases and situations covered - vow! peace of mind and no much changing of lenses.

I do use fast f1.4 to 1.8 primes for some very low light conditions - just 3% of situations. And for rainy days my 18-135 WR comes in handy. This copy is brutally sharp - you can see the pores and pimples on the face when blown up 100%.

Think folks - does using a trinity of Primes make sense ????? Is it practical ?????

Just my 2-cents.
Regards.
You seem to be a vocal proponent of using zoom instead of primes, which is fine, IMHO; but you are discussing this topic in the Pentax forum where most users prefer using the primes instead of zoom. I agree absolutely that zoom covers a large focal length with no gaps (with the so called holy trinity of lenses), but there is a trade off with weight, fast aperture and also (less) distortion; as It is difficult to design a zoom lens with minimum distortion than a prime lens.

Each photographer has his/her own priority, some like me want to have less or no distortion at all (I have shot weddings with just 2 primes lenses). Also, as a photographer, you know and want to get the perspective based on the focal length, not by convenience. Again, convenience is one important factor, but not the only one, particularly for some the users in this forum (and probably 100% agreement with you in Canikon forum).

01-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
You seem to be a vocal proponent of using zoom instead of primes, which is fine, IMHO; but you are discussing this topic in the Pentax forum where most users prefer using the primes instead of zoom.
Why disparage any discussion of zooms? I would say most users apply a mixture of zooms and primes depending on the job in hand. My hat is off to you for shooting a wedding with 2 primes, I think it is great when someone knows their kit and is confident in applying it!

Pentax accommodates a wide range of styles and while it may be known for small primes, but the other side of Pentax is the outdoors and DA* zooms in particular make for a compelling offer when you take weight, size, speed, and weather sealing into account. All in favour of the discussion because it is useful getting perspectives from others - Here I love the zooms and the primes.
01-07-2015, 10:58 AM - 3 Likes   #141
Veteran Member

Thanks Johnc & Aleonx3, this is what a constructive discussion is all about in a democratic / open society. I did mention that I use Primes too under some photo situations. I am a global Indian and travel frequently all over the world and have this to report:-
a) All the Zooms I mentioned (10-20, 17-50, 55-300) are around 400 to 450 grams and 3 to 4-inches in length. You decide if they are big or heavy to use. Are they??
b) A 10-20 zoom lens is preferred in Europe or Cuba. The streets are narrow, monuments and cathedral huge, and you don't want to be run down by crazy
motorists when using a prime, which requires you to cross alleys and streets to "zoom" with your feet. Rome & Havana is terrible.
c) You bet you could be mighty glad you carried that Pentax HD 55-300 WR zoom for that 12% photo situation when abroad.
d) By jove, my made in Japan Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is brutally sharp. It can give primes a run for the money. What I mean to say is that todays zooms are damn good.
e) Request please do not think that Zoom users are dumb amateurs and that Prime users are hep Pros - avant garde folks. I get this impression from many
photographers, just like some Canikon chaps who chuckle and say uh! Pentax. I just smile and mumble that I do use some of the costliest primes when needed -
especially in very low light situations requiring f1.2 to 1.8.
f) And of course you have to have a true Macro Lens which are Primes. My Tamron 90mm is.
g) I am able to fit a DSLR, a compact camera and the 3-Zooms + other accessories in my Sling Bag. And not too heavy to lug around for my 12-Hr day. I normally
decide before hand - depending on the place - and take 2-zooms only - like the recent Grand Canyon / Hoover Dam shoot - the Sigma 10-20 + the 55-300.
h) A trinity of Zooms lets you cover all your bases and photo situations, which from my 56 Years of experience with a camera, says you can never with 3-primes.
I) With improved ISO performance and low light AF one can get by with zooms. But note my dimunitive $ 400 Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is not a slow lens.
j) I don't have a weather sealed Prime. Lucky I was carrying the 18-135 WR zoom in London when a down pour came suddenly. On a trip almost under the Niagara
Falls in the "Maid of the Mist" I went on shooting in the mighty spray and wind when all other photographers packed up. I also had the last laugh at some Canikon
chaps who had scoffed at my Pentax K-20D with an 18-55 WR lens.
And if you can, try the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 - it will challenge your Prime and make you rethink.
Enjoy your Trinity of Primes and Zooms folks as the best gear is what you have at the moment.
Regards.
01-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
Why disparage any discussion of zooms? I would say most users apply a mixture of zooms and primes depending on the job in hand. My hat is off to you for shooting a wedding with 2 primes, I think it is great when someone knows their kit and is confident in applying it!

Pentax accommodates a wide range of styles and while it may be known for small primes, but the other side of Pentax is the outdoors and DA* zooms in particular make for a compelling offer when you take weight, size, speed, and weather sealing into account. All in favour of the discussion because it is useful getting perspectives from others - Here I love the zooms and the primes.
Thanks Johnc & Aleonx3, this is what a constructive discussion is all about in a democratic / open society. I did mention that I use Primes too under some photo situations. I am a global Indian and travel frequently all over the world and have this to report:-
a) All the Zooms I mentioned (10-20, 17-50, 55-300) are around 400 to 450 grams and 3 to 4-inches in length. You decide if they are big or heavy to use. Are they??
b) A 10-20 zoom lens is preferred in Europe or Cuba. The streets are narrow, monuments and cathedral huge, and you don't want to be run down by crazy
motorists when using a prime, which requires you to cross alleys and streets to "zoom" with your feet. Rome & Havana is terrible.
c) You bet you could be mighty glad you carried that Pentax HD 55-300 WR zoom for that 12% photo situation when abroad.
d) By jove, my made in Japan Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is brutally sharp. It can give primes a run for the money. What I mean to say is that todays zooms are damn good.
e) Request please do not think that Zoom users are dumb amateurs and that Prime users are hep Pros - avant garde folks. I get this impression from many
photographers, just like some Canikon chaps who chuckle and say uh! Pentax. I just smile and mumble that I do use some of the costliest primes when needed -
f) And of course you have to have a true Macro Lens which are Primes. My Tamron 90mm is.
g) I am able to fit a DSLR, a compact camera and the 3-Zooms + other accessories in my Sling Bag. And not too heavy to lug around for my 12-Hr day. I normally
decide before hand - depending on the place - and take 2-zooms only - like the recent Grand Canyon / Hoover Dam shoot - the Sigma 10-20 + the 55-300.
h) A trinity of Zooms lets you cover all your bases and photo situations, which from my 56 Years of experience with a camera, says you can never with 3-primes.
I) With improved ISO performance and low light AF one can get by with zooms. But note my dimunitive $ 400 Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is not a slow lens.
j) I don't have a weather sealed Prime. Lucky I was carrying the 18-135 WR zoom in London when a down pour came suddenly. On a trip almost under the Niagara
Falls in the "Maid of the Mist" I went on shooting in the mighty spray and wind when all other photographers packed up. I also had the last laugh at some Canikon
And if you can, try the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 - it will challenge your Prime and make you rethink.
Enjoy your Trinity of Primes and Zooms folks as the best gear is what you have at the moment.
Regards.
Not against zooms at all; in fact my go-to lenses for gigs/events definitely include 2 DA* lenses 16-50 and 50-135, plus 31mm or 43mm.
my take on "Holy trinity of lenses" varies depending on situations and preferences which could be a mixture of zooms and primes, it does not have to cover the entire range of focal length because we (Pentax users) know we can zoom with feet (whenever possible) and naturally, to Canikon users, the 10-24, 24-70 and 70-200 are indeed the holy trinity of lenses that "photographer" should not do without as mentioned by the OP, of course, YMMV.

01-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regards.
Wonderful stuff... Well said....
01-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
My Holy Trinity

DA 12-24 mm

ChickenFoot Seattle
by John Rudolph Photography, on Flickr

DA* 16-50mm

Volbeat @ The Paramount

DA* 50-135mm

Wallflowers
Similar to my holy lens, but i think i need a middle range fast lenses like 31mm limited or sigma 30 f1.4 ART
01-19-2015, 07:15 AM   #145
Veteran Member

Here's a good article by Thom Hogan on the Trinity zoom set concept:
Rationalizing Zoom Lens Sets | byThom | Thom Hogan

Regards,
--Anders.
01-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Here's a good article by Thom Hogan on the Trinity zoom set concept:
Rationalizing Zoom Lens Sets | byThom | Thom Hogan

Regards,
--Anders.
Wow, that's pretty damning conclusion on the Nikkor DX lenses at the end. I've always had a feeling that both Canon and Nikon unnecessarily cripple their DX offerings to keep from cannibalizing their high end FF bodies.
01-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #147
Veteran Member

I do a holy 4 with both of my kits.

K3 bag usually consists of:
FA31
FA43
FA77
DA*55

Depending on the scenario the 31 or 55 get swapped for either DA15 or DA*50-135 depending on what my focus is. If I'm going to be traveling, DA15 all the way. If I'm shooting portraits without my D800 kit Fa31 for DA*50-135.