Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2014, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
K-3 using 64 GB SD memory

Thanks to all who responded to my problem. The problem I was having was fixed by downloading and installing V1.03 firmware. This group has helped again. I am glad to be a part and really appreciate all the help.

09-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryDarnell Quote
installing V1.03 firmware
??
The K-3 firmware is up to v 1.11 now. May be time to do another firmware update
09-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Pentax cameras can be finicky when it comes to memory cards. I've had no issues with Transcend or SanDisk cards, but have had issues with Sony and PNY Cards. As you've found out yourself, some work, some don't.
I use a Sandisk in slot 1 and a PNY in slot 2 and have the card error problem with the PNY in slot 2, but not when I put it in slot 1. When I format the PNY card, it works for awhile and when I look at my images from the Sandisk, I then get the card error for slot 2. Its very intermittent. I've reformatted that card in my computer and then the camera a number of times. All my photos are on the Sandisk, so until I fill that one I'm not going to do anything about it. I'll see if the camera starts to put the photos on the PNY card after I fill up the Sandisk card or I have to switch the cards.
09-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had memory card errors with my K-3 on the Pentax FLUcard, and on a 16GB Kingston and 16GB Sandisk Ultra. In-camera formatting seems to have fixed things with the first two, but the error on the Sandisk which occurred just now when I switched the camera on was apparently cured by taking the card out and re-inserting it. I had previously removed it for downloading the images to my computer, and I had properly ejected the card before removing it. I'd never experienced a memory card error before, so I'm left wondering if the K-3 is a bit more finicky than its predecessors, even with lower capacity cards.

09-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I am currently using two Kingston SD Cards, both of them are 64 GB, and am yet to experience any problems.
09-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I've had memory card errors with my K-3 on the Pentax FLUcard, and on a 16GB Kingston and 16GB Sandisk Ultra. In-camera formatting seems to have fixed things with the first two, but the error on the Sandisk which occurred just now when I switched the camera on was apparently cured by taking the card out and re-inserting it. I had previously removed it for downloading the images to my computer, and I had properly ejected the card before removing it. I'd never experienced a memory card error before, so I'm left wondering if the K-3 is a bit more finicky than its predecessors, even with lower capacity cards.
Are you a Macintosh user by any chance?

Steve
09-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you a Macintosh user by any chance?

Steve
Well spotted, that man!

09-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Well spotted, that man!
The reason why I asked about the Mac is that the card problems on Pentax seem to be more common when they have used on a Mac due to the computer writing temporary files to the card. The SD formatter (link above) is supposed to cure that problem.

Steve
09-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
??
The K-3 firmware is up to v 1.11 now. May be time to do another firmware update
I went to link provided and V1.11 is avaliable. Yesterday evening when I downloaded the firmware v1.03 was the latest version. I will do it again this weekend. Thank you very much for your help.
09-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The reason why I asked about the Mac is that the card problems on Pentax seem to be more common when they have used on a Mac due to the computer writing temporary files to the card. The SD formatter (link above) is supposed to cure that problem.

Steve
Yes, and those files are generally hidden from view, but why that would only cause a card error on the K-3 is something of a mystery to me. I've used the same cards on a K20D, a K-5 and now a K-3, and it's only the K-3 that I've experienced the issue with, which suggests that a firmware issue is at the heart of it.
09-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #26
cal

I am just getting used to using a Pentax K100D that I inherited. I got excited concerning some of the group using 64g cards. My camera will not accept anything bigger than 2g which are getting very hard to find. I read the part about firmware update. where is it found? Is it difficult to update my camera?
By the way, my last problem was solved by installing lithium batteries. thanks to all for the hellp
09-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
I have the exact same problem. The crazy thing is that the card works fine with both my 645D and my MX-1, just not the K-3.
This happened with my 128Gb card once. The solution was to put it in the other SD slot (SD2 if SD1 was being problematic), format it in-camera, then move it back to the original slot.

It may be a firmware bug related to which SD slot is currently considered "active", but that's just my guess. I hope the fix works for you!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cal Quote
I read the part about firmware update. where is it found? Is it difficult to update my camera?
All the Pentax firmware updates are here:
Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
The download page for each firmware version has instructions on how to install it.