Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 02:24 AM   #1

Mirror lockup holds me back from purchasing a K-3

Hi

I'm new here and as of now, my choice is between the Canon 70D, Nikon D7100 and the K-3.

In Denmark, Pentax has a very limited network but I like the WR. I have, however, read MANY posts about mirror lockup / flutter, and this has made me nervous about purchasing a K-3. Reliability is absolute for me. My friend has a 550d and mey soon upgrade to a 70D but the Canon doesn't give the image quality the K-3 or D7100 does. But I'm really worried about that flutter. The fact that I'm about to purchase means nothing in this respect as Ricoh (to my understanding) hasn't yet solve this problem completely.

What should I do?

09-27-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The issue is rare, I wouldn't worry about it.

You could check out our serial number database for an indication of the low failure rate of the K-3.

None of the three K-3's I have used have exhibited any issues.
09-27-2014, 05:29 AM   #3

No problem

I have had no problem with mirror lock up either and I use it quite a bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by nicolaidenmark Quote
Hi

I'm new here and as of now, my choice is between the Canon 70D, Nikon D7100 and the K-3.

In Denmark, Pentax has a very limited network but I like the WR. I have, however, read MANY posts about mirror lockup / flutter, and this has made me nervous about purchasing a K-3. Reliability is absolute for me. My friend has a 550d and mey soon upgrade to a 70D but the Canon doesn't give the image quality the K-3 or D7100 does. But I'm really worried about that flutter. The fact that I'm about to purchase means nothing in this respect as Ricoh (to my understanding) hasn't yet solve this problem completely.

What should I do?
09-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine's been fine, now 9 months old.

09-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
Forum Member

I have the same problem

I was planing to shoot some time lapses or interval 4K videos and it mostly occurred during that if I read correctly from other users.

one more thing is that I dont know how good in terms of autofocus speed and accuracy is k-3 compared to 70D, D7100 or similar high-end aps-c cameras.

I use k-x for very long time now, and I know it will be a huge step forward, I looked on imaging-resource.com and in terms of sharpness k-3 look much better than any other aps-c camera, but things I look first in new camera is dynamic range, autofocus speed and accuracy, viewfinder size, and noise up to iso 800 maybe 1600 (dont care about noise above those iso levels), and to have ability to correct lens autofocus.

K-5 II looks like great camera for DR, noise but autofocus speed/accuracy is holding me off for now (compared to k-3)

I know autofocus speed is much more lens depended ( i have 18-55 kit lens, 55-300 and manual 50 1.7 (my god, sharpness is incredible in that lens) and planing to buy sigma 10-20 4-5.6).

I use 50mm for studio work, even on my k-x lens is so sharp it can produce moire (but I always shot in raw so it's easy fix), and other lenses for outdoors mostly landscapes. None of those are fast lenses.

so, I have two questions do dear pentax community.

1. what you recommend for my next camera after you read my preferences?

2. How can any lenses, including limited be sharper then M50 1.7? If someone is able to compare sharpness of 43 ltd and m 50 1.7 I would like to see it.

Thank you!

One more thing, I was able to convince my friend (former canon 500D user) to convert him into pentaxian. I never said anything, he just looked noise on my k-x compared to his 500D and fastest shutter speed (1/6000 on cheaper camera k-x, against 1/4000 on his 500D) and bought himself k-30 and he is still very glad he did it, so am I.
09-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm sure that if you spend some time browsing forums, you will find that there are some issues with Canon and Nikon bodies also. Nikon has had a string of camera bodies in the last few years that have had problems. There were a lot of reported issues with the K5 but mine has been going strong for 3 years without a problem. When something goes wrong on a camera, somebody will post about it. When everything works, you hear nothing. I read a report on another photo site recently (I can't remember where) that listed Pentax cameras as having one of the lowest return rates.
09-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi

What should I do?
My K3 purchased March 2014 has never experienced that or any problem. Shutter count over 4000 currently because I use the camera for work as well as play.

09-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

What you tend to see a lot of on Forums are people raising issues, either (a) seeking help, or (b) to whinge.

I'd suggest for everyone who raises an issue or whinges there must be 1000's (if not 100,000's) who don't post because they're happy with their kit!
09-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I too did not face the flappy mirror issue and the firmware version 1.11 is supposed to have fixed the problem. It's a great camera. Get one and you will soon see why.

Edit

I have the K5IIs as well and it's another gem of a camera. Without the AA filter, the images are very very sharp.
09-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
I guess the list of users on this forum having experienced problems with the K-3 scared me:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/254464-k3-crazy-mirror-sic...ours-here.html

Lots of users listed in that thread. Some have even returned multiple K-3 bodies due to this issue.

If possible, I'd appreciate if more of you could list your number of shutter activations so far.

Another thing: I haven't been able to find the 50 1.7 in Denmark. Can I buy it anywhere within the EU?
09-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

K-3, 70D and D7100 are all fine cameras with great image quality. WR is achievable with all those cameras if you really need it.

Go into a camera store and try them all out, and choose whichever camera feels best when you use it.

If you have friends or relatives with Pentax, Canon or Nikon, it may also make sense to buy their brand, so you can share lenses and accessories.
09-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #12

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I guess the list of users on this forum having experienced problems with the K-3 scared me:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/254464-k3-crazy-mirror-sic...ours-here.html

Lots of users listed in that thread. Some have even returned multiple K-3 bodies due to this issue.

If possible, I'd appreciate if more of you could list your number of shutter activations so far.
I've never had a problem with my K-3. It has been a wonderful and faithful camera and has helped me grow my photography skills. I bought my K-3 in late November of last year and was very ill for an extended period of time (I am doing much better now) so I don't have a high shutter count. I also find I have a much higher keeper ratio so I am not discarding as many shots as I was with my K-r. My shutter count is 2635.

If I ever was in a position to buy a K-3 again I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
09-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm biased, so take my opinion for what it's worth. Please. LOL...

I wouldn't buy a K3 if reliability is a MUST. I would, however, without a thought, buy a K5-IIs or II. Super rock solid. Not a second of trouble with three of them, right up to and over 100,000 shutter actuations. I cannot say the same for two different K3 bodies I had, which had problems with heavy usage, right out of the box. Mirror-flapping was one problem. Random lockups were another.

My opinion: Save the money and buy a K5-IIs or II instead. And you'll be getting a more reliable camera overall.

Last edited by DRabbit; 09-27-2014 at 09:41 AM.
09-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I may be going off topic but if you are considering a new system you should probably give this minor issue, that may or may not occur in one specific body, 1000x less importance than, say, which lenses do you intend to use or your lighting and flash requirements.
09-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have had my K-3 since April and have been an active member on this site since 2007. My opinions and observations are:
  • The K-3 has two reported issues (runaway mirror and random system lockup)
  • Both are relatively rare with random system lockup being the more prevalent
  • The incidence of problems with the K-3 is low and similar to the other top models that preceded it with the exception of the original K-5 which had numerous troublesome issues that were present in fairly high frequency. I can confidently state that the K-3 is the best-made Pentax dSLR to date and possibly the best AF camera in the history of the brand.*
  • Industry-wide, the incidence of serious defect for dSLR cameras is about 4%
  • My general advice to all who are purchasing an expensive digital camera (regardless of brand) is to buy an extended warranty if one is available. Pentax sells a 2 year extension for $20 USD.
  • Any of the cameras on your short list will be a capable tool
My problems with the K-3 make a short list:
  • Random and rare system lockup, usually while using the playback mode
This has happened about a half dozen times since April and not once in the last two months.

Happy owner? Absolutely!

Steve

* Comparison to the build quality of the mechanical models is sort of silly. It is unlikely that my K-3 will still be operational 50 years from now in the same manner as my Pentax SV.